Maximize Reaction Time to Avoid Deer: Motorist's Dilemma Explained

• Thread starter malta
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario in which a motorist is traveling at a speed of 14m/s and needs to avoid hitting a deer 48m ahead. The question is asked about the maximum reaction time the motorist would have to avoid the deer. The conversation also mentions two different motions - constant speed and accelerated motion - and the need to calculate the distance traveled during the reaction time to find the correct answer.
malta

Homework Statement

A motorist is traveling at l4m/s when he sees a deer in the road 48 m ahead.
If the maximum negative acceleration of the vehicle is -7 m/s^2, what is the maximum reaction time At of the motorist that will allow him to avoid hitting the deer? Answer in units of s.

What i did was divide 48/14 to get the time it would take to get there then using the Vf=Vo+at equation i got a time of 2 and subtracted it from the first time, is that correct??

Physics news on Phys.org
No, I don't think so.
I see you realize that there are two different motions to work with.
During the reaction time, before the guy gets his foot on the brake, you have motion at constant speed (zero acceleration). While braking, you have accelerated motion.
You cannot use 48/14 for the first part because the car is not moving at a constant speed of 14 for that distance of 48. If it did, it would hit the deer!

Your work on the accelerated part is correct - it takes 2 seconds to stop. This is a very good start. You must now figure out how far the car goes in these 2 seconds, then use that to find how far the car goes before the braking begins. That will give you the info you need to work out the constant speed part of the motion and find your answer.

I would like to first clarify that reaction time is the time it takes for a person to respond to a stimulus, in this case, the sighting of the deer. It is not the same as braking time, which is the time it takes for the vehicle to come to a complete stop after the brakes are applied.

To answer the question, we can use the equation d = Vot + 1/2at^2, where d is the distance, Vo is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. In this scenario, the distance to the deer is 48 m, the initial velocity of the vehicle is 14 m/s, and the acceleration is -7 m/s^2. We can rearrange the equation to solve for time, which gives us t = (Vo ± √(Vo^2 - 2ad))/a. Plugging in the values, we get t = (14 ± √(14^2 - 2(-7)(48)))/(-7) = 2.37 s or -0.37 s. Since we cannot have a negative time, the maximum reaction time for the motorist is 2.37 seconds.

Your approach of dividing the distance by the initial velocity is not entirely correct, as it does not take into account the acceleration of the vehicle. It would give you an approximate estimate, but the more accurate method would be to use the equation mentioned above. Additionally, it is important to note that in real-life situations, reaction time can vary based on individual factors such as alertness, distractions, and fatigue.

1. How can I get quick help with my project?

One option is to reach out to colleagues or mentors who have expertise in the specific area you need help with. You can also try searching online forums or reaching out to online communities for assistance. Additionally, many universities offer resources such as writing centers or research assistance centers to help students with their projects.

2. What are some tips for getting help quickly?

Be specific about what you need help with and provide as much context as possible. This will help others understand your question and provide a more targeted response. Also, be respectful of people's time and make sure to thank them for their help.

3. How can I make sure the help I receive is accurate and reliable?

It's always a good idea to double-check information and sources. If possible, try to get help from multiple sources to compare and verify information. You can also look for reputable sources and experts in the field to ensure the information you receive is accurate.

4. What if I need help with something outside of my expertise?

Don't be afraid to ask for help from someone with more knowledge or experience in the topic. Many experts are happy to share their knowledge and help others learn. You can also do your own research to try and understand the topic better before seeking help.

5. How can I show my appreciation for the help I receive?

Small gestures like saying thank you, offering to help others in return, or providing feedback can show your appreciation. If the person providing help is a colleague or mentor, you can also consider writing them a thank you note or giving them a small token of appreciation.