Maximize Your Swinging Ball Force with These Expert Tips

ritzcrackers
New poster is reminded to always show their work when starting schoolwork threads
Homework Statement
If you swing a ball on a string in a vertical circle, on the top of the circle can the force of tension ever be less than the weight force or will it always be greater? how about at the bottom of the circular path?
Relevant Equations
f=ma
idk

Physics news on Phys.org
"Swing a ball on a string" can mean a variety of things. Perhaps you should be more specific. The string tension can be any positive value, depending.

Given that it does a perfect vertical circle in the top point you ll have $$\sum F=m\frac{v^2}{R} \Rightarrow T+B\geq 0 \Rightarrow T\geq -B$$ which simply means (since i take the positive direction pointing down and the force of tension points down in the upper point) that the force of tension can be anything and it depends on velocity. It will be zero if at the top point the mass has zero velocity, it will be infinite if it has infinite velocity or some in between value. It all depends on the velocity at the top point. In order to be greater than the weight it has to hold that $$m\frac{v^2}{R}-B\geq B\Rightarrow v\geq\sqrt{\frac{2BR}{m}}\geq \sqrt{2Rg}$$

Last edited:
Delta2 said:
Given that it does a perfect vertical circle in the top point you ll have $$\sum F=m\frac{v^2}{R} \rightarrow T+B\geq 0 \rightarrow T\geq -B$$ which simply means (since i take the positive direction pointing down and the force of tension points down in the upper point) that the force of tension can be anything and it depends on velocity. It will be zero if at the top point the mass has zero velocity, it will be infinite if it has infinite velocity or some in between value. It all depends on the velocity at the top point. In order to be greater than the weight it has to hold that $$m\frac{v^2}{R}-B\geq B\Rightarrow v\geq\sqrt{\frac{2BR}{m}}\geq 2Rg$$
You have not defined ##B##, assuming that it is the ball weight, but should be stated.

The last step should be an equality (although not technically wrong) and is missing a square root (physical dimensions don’t match).

Orodruin said:
You have not defined ##B##, assuming that it is the ball weight, but should be stated.

The last step should be an equality (although not technically wrong) and is missing a square root (physical dimensions don’t match).
Ok right I fixed the square root. Thanks for the correction.

Have to do another correction to myself, the force of tension is zero if the velocity is $$v=\sqrt{Rg}$$ (not if the velocity is zero).

Last edited:

1. How can I increase the force of my swinging ball?

To maximize the force of your swinging ball, you can start by increasing the length of the string or rope that the ball is attached to. This will allow the ball to swing through a larger arc, resulting in greater force upon impact.

2. Are there any specific techniques for improving my swinging ball force?

One technique to improve your swinging ball force is to ensure that you are using proper body mechanics. This includes using your entire body to generate momentum and force, rather than just relying on your arms. Additionally, practicing consistently and focusing on your form can also help improve your swinging ball force.

3. What role does gravity play in maximizing swinging ball force?

Gravity plays a crucial role in maximizing swinging ball force as it acts as a constant force pulling the ball downward as it swings. By taking advantage of gravity, you can increase the speed and force of the swinging ball as it moves through its arc.

4. Are there any safety considerations to keep in mind when trying to maximize swinging ball force?

When attempting to maximize swinging ball force, it is important to ensure that you have enough space to safely swing the ball without causing injury to yourself or others. Additionally, wearing appropriate safety gear, such as goggles or gloves, can help protect you from any potential accidents.

5. Can I use different types of balls to maximize swinging ball force?

Yes, you can experiment with using different types of balls to maximize swinging ball force. Heavier balls will typically generate more force upon impact, while lighter balls may be easier to swing at higher speeds. It is recommended to try out different balls and see which one works best for your desired level of force.