Maximizing Amps in Circuit with 90W Power Supply

In summary, the conversation discusses the basic equation of W=V*A and how it applies to a specific circuit. The person is trying to get as many amps as possible from a device, but it is not recommended as it is dangerous and could result in harm or damage.
JoeSalerno
So, I know the basic equation of W=V*A, but how would I physically do this in a circuit? Say I have 90W=19V*4.74A (http://www.chargerbuy.com/replacement-hp-90w-smart-ac-adapter-19v-474a.html?gclid=CjwKEAiAi-_FBRCZyPm_14CjoyASJAClUigOPligEwQ9DD87xaDL8SQcvxNtWCeo_2nl68GmdozOoxoCbW3w_wcB) for reference. In the project that I am undertaking I need to get as many Amps out of this as possible. Theoretically, I could get 90A out of this but I know it's highly unlikely. If there's at least a way to get 40A out of this circuit I would greatly appreciate knowing how to do so. I plan on cutting the proprietary plug and wring to the +/- leads. If you need any other info just reply, thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The device that is shown in the picture is rarely capable at all to handle such high currents. In addition 40 A are far too dangerous to deal with on an amateur basis. The electronics will likely melt or burn. Plus it cannot be recommended to accidentally get in touch with it. So please stay away from this plan, you could severely get hurt or burn down the house.

Thread remains closed.

Last edited:
Likes nsaspook and davenn

1. What is the formula for converting volts to watts?

The formula for converting volts (V) to watts (W) is W = V * I, where I represents current in amps (A).

2. Can you provide an example of converting volts to watts?

For instance, if a device operates at 12 volts and draws 2 amps of current, the watts can be calculated by multiplying 12V * 2A, resulting in 24W.

3. Is there a difference between AC and DC when converting volts to watts?

Yes, the formula for converting volts to watts remains the same for both AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) circuits. However, the value for current may vary since AC current fluctuates over time while DC current remains constant.

4. Can you convert watts to volts using the same formula?

No, watts to volts cannot be converted using the same formula. To convert watts to volts, the formula is V = W / I, where W represents watts and I represents current in amps.

5. Are there any other units involved in converting volts to watts?

Aside from volts and watts, the only other unit involved in this conversion is amps (A) for current. However, it is important to note that the unit for power, watts, can also be expressed as kilowatts (kW) or megawatts (mW).