Maximizing Efficiency: The Role of Feedback in Boost Converter Switch Design

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a control circuit for a mosfet and the use of feedback to maintain a constant output voltage. The circuit also takes into account non-ideal conditions and the effects of varying input voltage and load. The use of a zener diode is also mentioned as an alternative for stabilizing the output voltage, but it may not be efficient for high power applications.
TheRedDevil18
I'm looking into the design of the control circuit for the mosfet. If I know the output voltage and input voltage then I can find the duty cycle required. I found this schematic that uses feedback
2031Fig07.gif

Source
https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/app-notes/index.mvp/id/2031

Why would I need feedback that changes the duty cycle like above ?, if the output voltage is dependent on the duty cycle and Vin and if those are fixed values then Vout should be constant regardless of load ?, also I'm a bit confused on the working of the above schematic, is it trying to maintain Verror of 0V regardless of changes in Vout ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
What makes you think that the Vin would be fixed? This is not often the case. There are other things that will cause the output voltage to droop when a load is applied also. You are thinking it backwards concerning the output voltage and the Verror. Verror does whatever it has to in order for the inverting and noninverting inputs of the opamp to remain virtually the same. This is a basic rule in opamp analysis. So if the reference is stable, can you see how the rest of the circuit will behave?

Likes davenn
DC to DC converters behaves just like a ideal "DC" transformer. And for the boost converter n = Vout/Vin = 1/(1 - D) but this is true only when the inductor is working in continuous conduction mode (CCM), the inductor current never reaches 0A. And all component are ideal also Vin is kept constant.
And because we are living in non ideal world we need to change duty cycle to kept Vout at fixed value.

Averagesupernova said:
What makes you think that the Vin would be fixed? This is not often the case. There are other things that will cause the output voltage to droop when a load is applied also. You are thinking it backwards concerning the output voltage and the Verror. Verror does whatever it has to in order for the inverting and noninverting inputs of the opamp to remain virtually the same. This is a basic rule in opamp analysis. So if the reference is stable, can you see how the rest of the circuit will behave?

So basically Vref would be the max boost converter output voltage or voltage you are trying to maintain. So if for example we are trying to maintain 10V on the output and Vout drops to 9.7V then Verror is 10V-9.7V = 0.3V. If Verror increases then the duty cycle decreases. But if the voltage decreases then the duty cycle should increase since Vout = Vin/(1-D) ?

TheRedDevil18 said:
So basically Vref would be the max boost converter output voltage or voltage you are trying to maintain. So if for example we are trying to maintain 10V on the output and Vout drops to 9.7V then Verror is 10V-9.7V = 0.3V. If Verror increases then the duty cycle decreases. But if the voltage decreases then the duty cycle should increase since Vout = Vin/(1-D) ?
If Vout drops the voltage at Verror will rise, this means that as long as Verror > Vramp the voltage at Vswitch is high so the duty cycle increase.

170738_440698.jpg

Jony130 said:
If Vout drops the voltage at Verror will rise, this means that as long as Verror > Vramp the voltage at Vswitch is high so the duty cycle increase.

170738_440698.jpg

Ok, yes that makes sense. If I am designing a boost converter would I need a control system like this ?, What if I used a zener diode to fix the voltage regardless of current changes ?

TheRedDevil18 said:
What if I used a zener diode to fix the voltage regardless of current changes ?
It is wasteful of power, so you'd only use a zener to stabilize the output where the load draws low power. The attraction of a switching booster/regulator is that it can offer efficient operation at high power.

1. What is a boost converter switch?

A boost converter switch is a type of electronic circuit component used to regulate the voltage output of a power source. It is designed to increase the input voltage to a higher output voltage level.

2. How does a boost converter switch work?

A boost converter switch uses a switching mechanism to control the flow of current through an inductor. This creates a pulsing output of energy that is then filtered and smoothed to produce a stable output voltage.

3. What are the key components of a boost converter switch?

The key components of a boost converter switch include an inductor, a capacitor, a switch (such as a MOSFET), and a diode. These components work together to regulate and convert the input voltage to the desired output voltage.

4. What factors should be considered when designing a boost converter switch?

When designing a boost converter switch, factors such as the desired output voltage level, input voltage range, load current, and efficiency should be taken into consideration. Other factors may include size, cost, and noise level.

5. What are some common applications of boost converter switches?

Boost converter switches are commonly used in electronic devices that require a higher output voltage than the available power source, such as in battery-powered devices. They are also used in renewable energy systems, LED lighting, and power supplies for electronic devices.