Maximizing Fridge Stability: Determining the Optimal Height for Pushing Force

In summary, a fridge of width "w" and height "L" is being pushed on by a force F at an angle θ to the horizontal, applied at a height of "h" above the ground. The maximum value of h can be found using the equations ΣF = 0 and Στ = 0, where F = μmg/(cosθ - μsinθ), and h = ½mgw/(Fcosθ). The force should be pushing above the horizontal, with the vertical force pointing downwards.
faradayscat

Homework Statement

say a fridge of width "w" and height "L" is being pushed on by a force F at an angle θ to the horizontal. This force is applied at a height of "h" above the ground.

I want to know what the max value of h can be such that the fridge doesn't tip and the coefficient of static friction is μ.

Homework Equations

ΣF = 0
Στ = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

The force can be found:

ΣFx = 0
Fcosθ - f = 0, where f(max) = μN

And

ΣFy = 0
N - mg - Fsinθ = 0

So

Fcosθ - μ(mg + Fsinθ) = 0
F = μmg/(cosθ - μsinθ)

This is my reasoning for the height, since only the horizontal component of F affects the perpendicular distance "h" to F, then:

Στ = 0 (about axis where the fridge is about to tip)
hFcosθ - mg(w/2) = 0
h = ½mgw/(Fcosθ)

Does that make sense? I'm skeptical about this.

Physics news on Phys.org
faradayscat said:
ΣFy = 0
N - mg - Fsinθ = 0

So

Fcosθ - μ(mg + Fsinθ) = 0
F = μmg/(cosθ - μsinθ)

How you are pushing? F acting below the horizontal at theta angle or above the horizontal?

drvrm said:
How you are pushing? F acting below the horizontal at theta angle or above the horizontal?
Oups forgot to mention, the force is pushing above the horizontal, the vertical force is downward though

If you are pushing in a direction above the horizontal then sin component will point up -in the direction of N

faradayscat said:
N - mg - Fsinθ = 0
so the sign of of F sin(theta) should change, if i am correctly following you!

1. How can I prevent my fridge from tipping over?

To prevent your fridge from tipping over, make sure it is placed on a sturdy and level surface. You can also secure it to the wall or floor using anti-tip brackets or straps.

2. What is the center of gravity and why is it important in preventing a fridge from tipping?

The center of gravity is the point at which the weight of an object is evenly distributed. In a fridge, it is important to keep the center of gravity low and centered to prevent it from tipping over.

3. What should I do if my fridge is already leaning or tipping?

If your fridge is already leaning or tipping, do not try to move it or pull it back into place. This can cause injury. Instead, call a professional to assess the situation and make any necessary adjustments or repairs.

4. Can overloading my fridge cause it to tip over?

Yes, overloading your fridge can cause it to become unbalanced and tip over. Be sure to evenly distribute the weight of items inside and avoid placing heavy items on the door.

5. Is it safe to open the fridge doors when it is about to tip over?

No, it is not safe to open the fridge doors when it is about to tip over. This can shift the center of gravity and cause the fridge to fall. Keep the doors closed and call for professional assistance.