Maximizing Targeted Reach in Advertising Campaigns: A Statistical Approach

• I
  • Thread starter Singto
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Marketing
In summary, you are trying to figure out how to distribute flyers so that as many old-car owners as possible will receive one.Randomly means that the flyers are not distributed according to any pre-existing plan. You need to use the hypergeometric distribution to model how many flyers to distribute to each area so as to maximize the number of old-car owners that will receive a flyer in their mailbox.
Singto
Hey everyone!
I need some help for a work related problem. I am working on a advertising campaign, and I need to optimize my distribution of flyers to reach a specific target of people. Flyers will be distributed randomly in mailboxes by the postal service.
I have a list of neighborhood, along with the total number of mailboxes in the neighborhood, and the targeted population in the neighborood (in this case possessors of vehicles immatriculated before 1997). As I have a limited number of flyers, I need to know the probability that I reach this targeted population in each area.
So for exemple, I have:
-neighborhood 1: 100,000 mailboxes; 5,000 possessors of pre-1997 vehicules
-neighborhood 2: 50,000 mailboxes; 3,000 possessors of pre-1997 vehicules
-neighborhood 3: 4,000 maiboxes; 500 possessors of pre-1997 vehicules

I have 20,000 flyers to distribute at random over these 3 different neighborhood. How do I decide how many fliers to dedicate to each area so as to maximize the number of old-car owners that will receive a flyer in there mailbox?

I know it should be possible to calculate this using a Poisson or normal law maybe? My mathematics got quite rusty since I left high school so I need some advice on that one.

Thanks immensely for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Can't you find out who these owners are via public records and then target your campaign to them directly?

Have you looked at the percentages of an owner getting your flyer?

n1 : 5/100 = 5%
n2: 3/50 = 6%
n3: 5/40 = 12.5%

Hi Singto, welcome to PF!

Interesting problem. My first instinct would be that you have such a large number of flyers that you won't be able to model this as sampling with replacement, but will need to model it as sampling without replacement.

That means that you will need to use the hypergeometric distribution.

Singto said:
How do I decide how many fliers to dedicate to each area so as to maximize the number of old-car owners that will receive a flyer in there mailbox?
If your model is as simple as you describe it: Put a flyer in every mailbox in region 3, put the remaining flyers in mailboxes in region 2. That maximizes your expectation value, median, and every other quantity you might be interested in, simply because you have the largest fraction in region 3 and then the next best fraction in region 2.
I assume "randomly" does not mean that every flyer goes into a random mailbox, i. e. the post service is able to keep track of which mailboxes got a flyer already and which did not.

Different mailbox owners might talk to each other if the flyer is good, if you include coverage beyond the direct mailbox-car relation saving more flyers for region 2 could be interesting - but I don't expect that effect to be large enough to be relevant.

What is the purpose of a marketing campaign?

A marketing campaign is a strategic plan designed to promote a product, service, or brand to a specific target audience. Its purpose is to increase awareness, generate interest, drive sales, and build brand loyalty.

How do I create an effective marketing campaign?

An effective marketing campaign starts with researching your target audience and understanding their needs and preferences. Then, you can develop a message and choose appropriate marketing channels to reach your audience. It is also important to set clear goals, track metrics, and make adjustments as needed.

What are some common mistakes to avoid in a marketing campaign?

Some common mistakes to avoid in a marketing campaign include not defining a target audience, not having a clear message, using too many marketing channels, not tracking metrics, and not adjusting the campaign strategy based on data. It is also important to avoid making false claims or using offensive language.

How do I measure the success of a marketing campaign?

The success of a marketing campaign can be measured by various metrics such as website traffic, social media engagement, lead conversion rates, sales, and brand awareness. It is important to set specific goals and track these metrics throughout the campaign to determine its success.

How can I improve the effectiveness of my marketing campaign?

To improve the effectiveness of a marketing campaign, you can analyze data and make adjustments based on the results. This may include targeting a different audience, changing the message or creative, or using different marketing channels. It is also important to continuously monitor and track metrics to make informed decisions for future campaigns.

Back