Maximizing Wattage in DIY Heaters: Impedance Matching with ZVS Power Supply

In summary, the person is looking for advice on how to impedance match their load to a ZVS power supply and is unsure about what the expressions for skin effect in cylinders are.
EzeTom
Hi folks,

I want to build a heater similar to this http://www.thermon.com/us/products.aspx?prodid=10 , using a ZVS power supply from ebay (such as this one -http://[URL="http://www.ebay.com/itm/381569526996?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT"]www.ebay.com/itm/381569526996?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT[/URL]) )

As well I would like to replace the inner conductor with another "pipe" to try to effectively double the wattage per foot of heating available.

Can someone point me in the right direction as to the math and theory behind ensuring I can impedance match my load to one of these power supplies? Thank you in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Have you searched the internet for analyses of skin effect in cylinders? You should find plenty. The expressions are in terms of Bessel functions. You'll need to know the frequency of your source. It's unclear exactly what the company in your link is doing, but I imagine that the center conductor is contributing given that there's no current flowing on the outside of the shield.

Thanks for the reply.

I've googled quite a bit of stuff,, but I am a mechanical guy in the electrical world and sometimes feel a bit lost :)

marcusl said:
The expressions are in terms of Bessel functions.
EzeTom said:
Im a mechanical guy in the electrical world
How do you feel about Bessel functions?

J/K.

If you're not an electrical guy, maybe you should consider partnering up with a local one, or just buying a standard unit? We don't want you to get hurt or start a fire...

berkeman said:
How do you feel about Bessel functions?

J/K.

If you're not an electrical guy, maybe you should consider partnering up with a local one, or just buying a standard unit? We don't want you to get hurt or start a fire...

Thanks Berkman :)

I don't think I will start a fire or electrocute myself : ) and hopefully I don't let the smoke out of anything!

I just want to make sure I can match the load of my heater with the output of the ZVS driver from eBay reasonably well..

What is skin effect heating theory?

Skin effect heating theory is a phenomenon that occurs in conductors carrying high frequency alternating currents. It describes the tendency for the current to flow more towards the surface of the conductor, resulting in a higher concentration of current near the surface and less current in the core of the conductor.

How does skin effect heating affect conductors?

Skin effect heating can cause the temperature of a conductor to rise, leading to energy loss and potentially damaging the conductor. This is because the current is concentrated near the surface, causing a higher resistance and generating heat.

What factors influence skin effect heating?

The degree of skin effect heating is influenced by the frequency of the current, the material of the conductor, and its dimensions. Higher frequencies, conductors with higher resistivity, and larger dimensions can all increase the severity of skin effect heating.

How is skin effect heating mitigated?

One way to mitigate skin effect heating is by using stranded conductors, which have multiple smaller wires bundled together. This increases the surface area of the conductor, reducing the concentration of current and thus reducing skin effect heating. Another method is to use a larger diameter conductor, which also increases the surface area.

What are the practical applications of skin effect heating theory?

Skin effect heating theory is important in the design and operation of high frequency electrical systems, such as radio transmission and induction heating. It is also used in the design of power lines and other high voltage systems to minimize energy loss and ensure safe and efficient operation.