Maximum electric field at the surface of a Van de Graaff generator

In summary, the potential of a sphere at its surface is ##V(a)=kQ/a## and the electric field generated by it is ##E(a)=kQ/a^2##, which leads to the equation ##V(a)=aE(a)##. When the electric field at the surface is given as ##38.0\times10^{-2}\times3.00\times10^6=1140000\,V=1140\,kV=1.14\times10^3kV##, the charge can be calculated as ##Q=aV(a)/k=\frac{38.0\times10^{-2}\times1.140000}{8.99\times10^9
archaic
Homework Statement
We have a Van de Graaff generator consisting of a spherical dome on which charge is continuously deposited by a moving belt until the electric field at the surface of the dome becomes equal to the dielectric strength of air.
If the diameter of the dome ##R=38.0## cm, and the "breakdown" electric field surrounding it is ##3.00\times10^6## V/m
a) What is the maximum value of the potential of the dome in kV?
b) What is the maximum charge on the dome in micro coulombs?
Relevant Equations
N/A
I know that the potential of the sphere at its surface is ##V(a)=kQ/a##, and the electric field generated by it is ##E(a)=kQ/a^2##, which gives me ##V(a)=aE(a)##.
When the electric field at the surface is as in the question, we have ##V(a)=38.0\times10^{-2}\times3.00\times10^6=1140000\,V=1140\,kV=1.14\times10^3kV##.
And the charge is ##Q=aV(a)/k=\frac{38.0\times10^{-2}\times1.140000}{8.99\times10^9}\times10^6=48.2\,\mu C##.
Do you guys see something missing?
I am confident that the calculations are fine, and that I have the right units..

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me. [EDIT: Ah! They give you the diameter not the radius! Yet they denote the diameter with R.]

Likes Steve4Physics
TSny said:
Looks good to me. [EDIT: Ah! They give you the diameter not the radius! Yet they denote the diameter with R.]
OH! That's actually my bad.. I paraphrased parts of the question.
Thank you very much!

Last edited:
Likes TSny

1. What is the maximum electric field at the surface of a Van de Graaff generator?

The maximum electric field at the surface of a Van de Graaff generator is determined by the voltage of the generator and the radius of the spherical metal dome. It can range from a few thousand volts per centimeter to over one million volts per centimeter.

2. How is the maximum electric field calculated?

The maximum electric field can be calculated using the formula E = V/r, where E is the electric field, V is the voltage, and r is the radius of the dome. This formula assumes a perfect spherical shape and no external influences.

3. What factors affect the maximum electric field at the surface of a Van de Graaff generator?

The maximum electric field is affected by the voltage of the generator, the shape and size of the spherical dome, and any external influences such as humidity or dust particles on the surface of the dome.

4. Why is the maximum electric field important in a Van de Graaff generator?

The maximum electric field is important because it determines the strength of the electric charge that can be generated by the generator. A higher maximum electric field allows for a larger charge to be accumulated on the dome, resulting in stronger electric forces and more powerful experiments.

5. Is there a limit to the maximum electric field that can be achieved in a Van de Graaff generator?

Yes, there is a limit to the maximum electric field that can be achieved in a Van de Graaff generator. This limit is determined by the breakdown voltage of air, which is the point at which the electric field becomes so strong that it can ionize the air and create a conductive path, causing a spark. This limit varies depending on the humidity and temperature of the air, but it is typically around 3 million volts per meter.