Maximum energy stored in a capacitor? RLC circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses a series RLC circuit with a generator voltage that leads the current by 30 degrees. The circuit has an inductor of 400 mH, a resistor of 50 Ω, and an unknown capacitance. The first question is to find the capacitance, which is 145e-6F. The second question involves finding the energy stored in the capacitor at a specific time, which is given by UC = UC,max sin^2φ. The conversation then delves into the time dependence of the current and voltages, and the need for a phasor diagram.
Luke Cohen

Homework Statement

The current in a series RLC circuit leads the generator voltage by φ = 30°. The circuit, containing an inductor L = 400 mH and a resistor R = 50 Ω, is driven by a generator operating at ω = 100 rad/s with a maximum emf of 10 V. The capacitance is unknown.

The first question regarding this prompt is to find the capacitance, which is 145e-6F.

This is the question I am stumped on:

In terms of the maximum energy UC,max stored in the capacitor and the angle φ by which the current leads the generator voltage, the energy UC stored in the capacitor when the time is t = π/2ω is:

The correct answer is UC = UC,max sin^2φ

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've drawn my phasor diagrams, but I don't understand the correct answer. Is the voltage across the capacitor the component of the voltage across the generator pointing in the direction of X_c, the capacitor's impedance? If so, I get how a sin^2(phi) term would be used, because that would be the V^2 part of U = 1/2*cV^2, but I don't see how that would give me UC,max *sin^2(phi).
I will appreciate any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
This is just a normal box series RLC circuit with a battery, resistor, capacitor, and inductor in series. Sorry for not including!

Y
Luke Cohen said:

Homework Statement

The current in a series RLC circuit leads the generator voltage by φ = 30°. The circuit, containing an inductor L = 400 mH and a resistor R = 50 Ω, is driven by a generator operating at ω = 100 rad/s with a maximum emf of 10 V. The capacitance is unknown.

The first question regarding this prompt is to find the capacitance, which is 145e-6F.

This is the question I am stumped on:

In terms of the maximum energy UC,max stored in the capacitor and the angle φ by which the current leads the generator voltage, the energy UC stored in the capacitor when the time is t = π/2ω is:

The correct answer is UC = UC,max sin^2φ

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've drawn my phasor diagrams, but I don't understand the correct answer. Is the voltage across the capacitor the component of the voltage across the generator pointing in the direction of X_c, the capacitor's impedance? If so, I get how a sin^2(phi) term would be used, because that would be the V^2 part of U = 1/2*cV^2, but I don't see how that would give me UC,max *sin^2(phi).
I will appreciate any help!
You have to work with time dependence of the current and voltages. Assuming the generator voltage is Vg=Vg0sin(ωt),
what is the time dependence of the current and the capacitor voltage?

Luke Cohen said:
This is just a normal box series RLC circuit with a battery, resistor, capacitor, and inductor in series. Sorry for not including!

There is no escaping this: you will need to show, and then use, the phasor diagram of current and voltages.

1. What is the formula for calculating the maximum energy stored in a capacitor in an RLC circuit?

The formula for calculating the maximum energy stored in a capacitor in an RLC circuit is E = 1/2 * C * V2, where E represents energy, C represents capacitance, and V represents voltage.

2. How does the maximum energy stored in a capacitor change in an RLC circuit with varying capacitance?

The maximum energy stored in a capacitor in an RLC circuit is directly proportional to the capacitance. This means that as the capacitance increases, the maximum energy stored also increases, and vice versa.

3. What is the significance of the maximum energy stored in a capacitor in an RLC circuit?

The maximum energy stored in a capacitor in an RLC circuit represents the maximum amount of energy that can be stored in the capacitor at a given voltage. It is an important factor to consider in designing and analyzing RLC circuits.

4. How does the maximum energy stored in a capacitor affect the behavior of an RLC circuit?

The maximum energy stored in a capacitor affects the behavior of an RLC circuit by determining the amount of energy available for the capacitor to release during oscillations. A higher maximum energy stored can result in stronger and longer-lasting oscillations, while a lower maximum energy stored may result in weaker and shorter-lived oscillations.

5. Are there any factors that can limit the maximum energy stored in a capacitor in an RLC circuit?

Yes, there are several factors that can limit the maximum energy stored in a capacitor in an RLC circuit. These include the maximum voltage that the capacitor can withstand, the internal resistance of the circuit, and any external resistors or components that may dissipate energy. It is important to consider and account for these factors in order to accurately calculate and utilize the maximum energy stored in a capacitor in an RLC circuit.