Maximum extension of the spring

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a static situation in which a block is held in equilibrium by a constant force F acting on a spring. The question asks for the maximum extension of the spring, but the wording is unclear and it is necessary to consider both figures provided to understand the answer. The experts agree that the book's answer of F/k is correct, but only if the word "maximum" is removed from the question. They also note that the two figures have the same extension in the spring, but different time periods of oscillation.
Jahnavi

Homework Statement

spring1.png

Ans) F/k

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Consider only figure a) .

I believe the given answer is wrong . The maximum extension should be 2F/k . F/k is the extension in the spring in the equilibrium position . Maximum extension should be double of that .

Work energy theorem also gives maximum extension to be 2F/k .

But the answer given is F/k .The book answers are mostly correct .

Is book answer correct ?

Attachments

• spring1.png
    spring1.png
    30 KB · Views: 3,953
Physics news on Phys.org
Jahnavi said:
F/k is the extension in the spring in the equilibrium position . Maximum extension should be double of that
How do you come to that conclusion ?

Jahnavi said:
Work energy theorem also gives maximum extension to be 2F/k
SAme question: how do you calculate that ?

I do agree that the question is phrased a bit unclear -- in this case, they refer to the static situation, not the dynamic situation you would get when a mass hangs from an unstretched spring and is left to drop suddenly.

Consider this: In (a), what force does the wall exert on the spring? Now compare that to (b).

Likes Jahnavi and Delta2
Doc Al said:
Consider this: In (a), what force does the wall exert on the spring? Now compare that to (b).

I am considering only figure a) .Please ignore fig b) .

Is the book answer F/k correct for figure a) ?

Yes

BvU said:
Yes

When the block is in equilibrium then F=kx .This gives x=F/k . But the question is asking for maximum extension .

BvU said:
in this case, they refer to the static situation, not the dynamic situation you would get when a mass hangs from an unstretched spring and is left to drop suddenly.

How can there be a static situation in this problem ? Please consider only figure a) .The block will perform SHM .

I am assuming a constant force F .

Jahnavi said:
I am considering only figure a) .Please ignore fig b) .
Don't do that. If you understand how the two figures compare, you'll understand why they both have the same answer.

Jahnavi said:
Is the book answer F/k correct for figure a) ?
Yes.

Jahnavi said:
How can there be a static situation in this problem ? Please consider only figure a) .The block will perform SHM .
I'm interpreting this as a static case. Everything shown at the equilibrium position. (As BvU said, the problem statement is a bit unclear.)

(What textbook is this from?)

Likes Jahnavi
Doc Al said:
I'm interpreting this as a static case. Everything shown at the equilibrium position.

What sense does it make to ask for "maximum extension" if this is a static case ?

I am interpreting this as if the spring is initially in the unstretched position and then a constant force F starts to act .

Jahnavi said:
What sense does it make to ask for "maximum extension" if this is a static case .
Poorly worded, I will admit. (What's the complete problem with all parts?)

Jahnavi said:
I am interpreting this as if the spring is initially in the unstretched position and then a constant force F starts to act .
I interpret them as two situations where the masses are held in equilibrium by the applied force. (I assume they will then remove the applied forces and SHM will ensue.)

Would you at least agree that if you assumed that interpretation the book answer makes sense?

Likes Jahnavi
Doc Al said:
I interpret them as two situations where the masses are held in equilibrium by the applied force. (I assume they will then remove the applied forces and SHM will ensue.)

That's exactly what part b) of the question asks :smile: . Now I see your point .

Doc Al said:
Would you at least agree that if you assumed that interpretation the book answer makes sense?

Only if "maximum" word is removed from the question .The question should simply ask about the extension when the block is held in place by a force F .

Do you agree ?

Jahnavi said:
That's exactly what part b) of the question asks :smile: . Now I see your point .
Good. :smile:

Jahnavi said:
Only if "maximum" word is removed from the question .The question should simply ask about the extension when the block is held in place by a force F .

Do you agree ?
I agree with you. Sloppy wording in part (a), but that's why you need to sometimes read (b) to make sense of (a).

Likes Jahnavi
Doc Al said:

I find this interesting that the two figures are equivalent as far as the extension in the spring is concerned (same extension ) , but they have different time periods of oscillation .Time period of a) being √2 times that of b) .

Jahnavi said:
I find this interesting that the two figures are equivalent as far as the extension in the spring is concerned (same extension ) , but they have different time periods of oscillation .Time period of a) being √2 times that of b) .
Yes, it is interesting. The simplest way (at least for me) is to think of where the stationary point is for SHM. In (a) it's at the end of the spring, but in (b) it's at the middle.

Likes Jahnavi
Thanks !

Jahnavi said:
So do us all a favor and state the FULL problem statement at a future occasion. Saves helpers guesswork -- guesswork that came out right in this case but can cause a lot of confudsion in others.

What is maximum extension of the spring?

The maximum extension of a spring refers to the furthest distance the spring can be stretched or compressed from its resting position, also known as its equilibrium position.

How is maximum extension of the spring measured?

Maximum extension of the spring is typically measured in units of length, such as meters or centimeters. This can be done by using a ruler, measuring tape, or other measuring instrument.

What factors affect the maximum extension of the spring?

The maximum extension of a spring is affected by various factors such as the material and thickness of the spring, the force applied to the spring, and the temperature of the environment. These factors can alter the stiffness and elasticity of the spring, ultimately affecting its maximum extension.

Can the maximum extension of the spring be changed?

Yes, the maximum extension of a spring can be changed by altering the factors that affect it. For example, by using a thicker or stiffer spring, the maximum extension can be increased. Similarly, by increasing the force applied to the spring, its maximum extension can also be increased.

Why is understanding the maximum extension of the spring important?

Understanding the maximum extension of a spring is important in various fields of science and engineering, such as mechanics, physics, and materials science. It allows for the accurate prediction and control of the behavior of springs in different applications, such as in machines, structures, and devices.