Maximum height of ball with changing acceleration

In summary: SQRT[2 ⋅ G ⋅ m2 ⋅ (1 / r1 - 1 / r2)]v0 = SQRT[2 ⋅ G ⋅ m2 ⋅ (1 / (6.37 ⋅ 106)) - [108 / ( 2 ⋅ 6.674 ⋅ 10-11 ⋅ 5.972 ⋅ 1024 )]]v0 = 10 ⋅ 103 m / s
Ryan_m_b
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I put basic on this because my maths skills are exactly that and I suspect the answer to this question will be fairly maths heavy.

I understand that the equation to calculate the maximum height of a projectile (ignoring wind resistance) is

Hmax = (Vf2 - Vi2)/2a

But this only works over small distances and doesn't take into account the change in acceleration due to being further away from the center of the mass the object is being fired from. I've tried to google this but I must be using silly search terms because the results aren't quite what I'm asking.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
How the heck high is this ball being fired??

Gravity does not change appreciably at altitude from Earth until you get well past low orbit.

Yeah I know, for the sake of argument assume really, really high. The initial velocity could be a good fraction of escape velocity.

Last edited:
The force acting between to masses can be written as

F = G ⋅ m1 ⋅ m2 / r2

G ... constant (6.674 ⋅ 10-11 m3/(kg ⋅ s2)
m1 ... mass 1 (e.g. projectile)
m2 ... mass 2 (e.g. earth) (5.972 ⋅ 1024 kg)
r ... distance between the centres of mass of m1 & m2

Due to energy consistency (with v0 = initial velocity) →

m1 ⋅ v02 / 2 = ∫ [(G ⋅ m1 ⋅ m2 / r2) ⋅ dr]

integrating from r1 to r2 → v02 / 2 = G ⋅ m2 ⋅ (1 / r1 - 1 / r2)

If you start from the surface of the Earth r1 ≈ 6.37 ⋅ 106 m, plugging that in, you get r2

Thanks, I'm a little confused with the way it's laid out (basic maths knowledge). I don't get how to fill out the equation without knowing r2, do you mind swapping out the symbols for real figures? Let's say:

Cannonball weight = 1kg
Initial velocity = 10km/s

The weight of the cannon ball doesn't matter, but if the initial velocity v0 = 10 ⋅ 103 m / s

r2 = 1 / { (1 / r1) - [v02 / ( 2 ⋅ G ⋅ m2 ) ] }

r2 = 1 / { (1 / (6.37 ⋅ 106)) - [108 / ( 2 ⋅ 6.674 ⋅ 10-11 ⋅ 5.972 ⋅ 1024 ) ] } = 31,708 ⋅ 103 m

That's the distance from the Earth's centre of mass, so you have to substract the radius: 31,708 ⋅ 103 - 6,370 ⋅ 103 = 25,338 ⋅ 103 m → about 25300 km above Earth surface.

Likes Greg Bernhardt and Ryan_m_b
Awesome :) thanks

Ryan_m_b said:
I put basic on this because my maths skills are exactly that and I suspect the answer to this question will be fairly maths heavy.

I understand that the equation to calculate the maximum height of a projectile (ignoring wind resistance) is

Hmax = (Vf2 - Vi2)/2a

But this only works over small distances and doesn't take into account the change in acceleration due to being further away from the center of the mass the object is being fired from. I've tried to google this but I must be using silly search terms because the results aren't quite what I'm asking.

Any help would be appreciated :)

For large distances and velocities, you could equate total energy,, kinetic and potential.

Likes Ryan_m_b
One more thing :) I've had a go at rearranging the equation but again, maths skills. How would this example work if instead of the initial velocity you had everything else? In other words you knew the and the radius of Earth and were told that an object reached a height of X, how would you work out he initial velocity?

Ryan_m_b said:
One more thing :) I've had a go at rearranging the equation but again, maths skills. How would this example work if instead of the initial velocity you had everything else? In other words you knew the and the radius of Earth and were told that an object reached a height of X, how would you work out he initial velocity?

v0 = SQRT[2 ⋅ G ⋅ m2 ⋅ (1 / r1 - 1 / r2)]

But you must not forget to add the radius of the Earth to the heights above the surface,

so r1 = 6.37 ⋅ 106 m (if started from the Earth surface)
and r2 = h + 6.37 ⋅ 106 m (if h = height above surface in m)

Likes Ryan_m_b

1. What is the maximum height of a ball thrown into the air?

The maximum height of a ball thrown into the air depends on the initial velocity and the acceleration due to gravity. It can be calculated using the equation: h = (v^2 * sin^2(theta))/(2 * g), where h is the maximum height, v is the initial velocity, theta is the angle of projection, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

2. How does changing the acceleration affect the maximum height of a ball?

Changing the acceleration affects the maximum height of a ball by altering the time it takes for the ball to reach its peak height. A higher acceleration will result in a shorter time to reach the peak height, whereas a lower acceleration will result in a longer time and therefore a higher maximum height.

3. What happens to the maximum height of a ball if the acceleration is negative?

If the acceleration is negative, it means that the ball is experiencing a downward force. In this case, the maximum height of the ball will be zero, as it will not be able to reach any height before falling back to the ground.

4. Can the maximum height of a ball ever be greater than the initial height?

No, the maximum height of a ball thrown into the air cannot be greater than the initial height at which it was thrown. This is because the ball is always affected by the force of gravity, which will bring it back down to the initial height or lower.

5. How does air resistance affect the maximum height of a ball?

Air resistance can decrease the maximum height of a ball by slowing it down as it moves through the air. This means that the ball will not have as much initial velocity and will not be able to reach as great a height as it would without air resistance. However, the effect of air resistance on the maximum height of a ball is minimal for short distances and low initial velocities.