Maximum height of CM of a rotating stick

In summary, at the moment the stick returns to its original height it is horizontal again. This means that to find the maximum height it can rise to, you need to take into account both the upward motion given by the strike and the rotational motion.
Joe8

Homework Statement

[/B]
A uniform stick is held horizontally and then released. At the same instant, one end is struck with a quick
upwards blow. If the stick ends up horizontal when it returns to its original height, what are the possible values
for the maximum height to which the center rises?

My attempt at a solution is below. I must be doing something wrong. I just do not know what it is.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried conservation of energy.

Ei=Ef (i= initial state (right after the strike) f= final state (CM at maximum height))

PEi+KEi(transational)+KEi(rotational)=PEf+KEf(transational)+KEf(rotational)

Taking the origin to be where the stick is initially released => PEi=0
Maximum height the center of mass (CM) can rise to =>KEf(transational)=0
The only external force on the stick is gravity, and gravity exerts no torque on the CM of the stick => Σ[PLAIN]https://upload.wikimedia.org/math/8/1/a/81a69207104f00baaabd6f84cafd15a0.png(external)=0 and Σ[PLAIN]https://upload.wikimedia.org/math/8/1/a/81a69207104f00baaabd6f84cafd15a0.png=dL/dt => dL/dt=0 and L=Iω => ωi=ωf => KEi(rotational)=KEf(rotational)

=> PEi+KEi(transational)+KEi(rotational)=PEf+KEf(transational)+KEf(rotational) will give us
KEi(transational)=PEf
=> 1/2 (m)(vi)^2=mgh

=>h=(vi)^2/2g[/B]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Joe, :welcome:

I suppose then, that just considering energy is not enough !
Joe8 said:
If the stick ends up horizontal when it returns to its original height
you want to translate this into something you can use someway or other: it means it has completed a half integer number of revolutions at this return to original height. The strike gives the stick upward motion plus rotational motion. These two have to be in a certain relationship that you need to explore and exploit.

Everything you wrote looks correct, but it is not heading towards an answer.
The key fact is that at the moment it has returned to the original height it is once again horizontal. Think about time and rotation rate.

BvU pipped me, not unusual.

Thanks all! I solved it. I will post the answer shortly.

Likes BvU

1. What is the maximum height that a center of mass (CM) of a rotating stick can reach?

The maximum height that a center of mass (CM) of a rotating stick can reach is dependent on various factors such as the length and mass distribution of the stick, as well as the speed of rotation. In general, a longer stick with a more evenly distributed mass will have a higher maximum height.

2. How does the speed of rotation affect the maximum height of the CM of a rotating stick?

The speed of rotation has a direct impact on the maximum height of the CM of a rotating stick. As the speed of rotation increases, the centrifugal force acting on the stick also increases, causing the CM to rise higher. However, there is a limit to how fast the stick can rotate before the centrifugal force causes the stick to break apart.

3. Can the maximum height of the CM of a rotating stick be calculated?

Yes, the maximum height of the CM of a rotating stick can be calculated using the equation h = (mv^2)/(2mg), where h is the maximum height, m is the mass of the stick, v is the speed of rotation, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This equation assumes that the stick is rotating horizontally and the CM is at the end of the stick.

4. How does the shape of the stick affect the maximum height of the CM?

The shape of the stick can affect the maximum height of the CM in two ways. First, the length and mass distribution of the stick will directly impact the maximum height. Second, the shape of the stick can also affect the air resistance and friction, which can alter the rotation speed and ultimately impact the maximum height of the CM.

5. Is the maximum height of the CM of a rotating stick affected by external factors?

Yes, external factors such as air resistance, friction, and the presence of other objects can affect the maximum height of the CM of a rotating stick. These factors can alter the rotation speed and direction, which can impact the maximum height. Additionally, the location of the rotation (i.e. on Earth vs. in space) can also affect the maximum height due to differences in gravitational pull.