Maximum Height of Small Ball in Spinning Hollow Ball: Formula and Conditions

In summary, the conversation discusses the placement of a small ball inside a larger hollow ball, which is spun at a frequency of "f" around an axis passing through the center. The conversation then delves into finding the height "h" that the small ball will rise to inside the large one, using r, f, and g as variables. The speaker shares their solution, which involves defining the height and velocity, breaking the vectors into radial and tangential components, and solving for the force balance equations. However, they later realize that their solution is not entirely correct and they discuss the correct method of solving the problem.
devanlevin
as seen in the following diagram,
a small ball is placed inside a larger hollow ball, which is spun at a frequency of "f" around an axis passing through the centre(axis from 12 oclock position to 6) there is no notable friction. what is the height "h" that the small ball will rise to inside the large one.
use r,f,g to define the height

http://picasaweb.google.com/devanlevin/DropBox?authkey=sbH95pBl_D8#5273423507587078018

excuse my artwork

what i did was:

defined the height==> h=r-rcos[tex]\alpha[/tex]=r(1-cos[tex]\alpha[/tex])
define the velocity==>v=2[tex]\Pi[/tex]r*f

broke the vectors into radial and tangential components, then said
[tex]\sum[/tex]F(radial)=N-mgcos[tex]\alpha[/tex]=m[tex]\frac{v^{2}}{r}[/tex]
N-mgcos[tex]\alpha[/tex]=mr(2[tex]\Pi[/tex]f)[tex]^{2}[/tex]

cos(alpha)=N/mg - (r/g)(2pi*f)^2

h=r(1-=(N-mr(2[tex]\Pi[/tex]f)^2)/mg)

is this correct up to here?
now the part I am not sure of at all,
how to get rid of N?

the correct answer is
h=r(1-g/(r(2pi*f)^2)
when f>(1/2pi)*sqrt(g/r)

and h=0
when f<(1/2pi)*sqrt(g/r)
how do i get these conditions, and where have i gone wrong finding the expression for h

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just consider the small ball alone - about what axis does it rotate? What is the radius of its motion, and what direction does the centripetal force point in?

thats what i did, isn't it??

Not quite. In your solution, the centripetal force is along N.

The small ball moves in a circle, whose center is not the center of the bigger ball. The radius of this circle is not r.

Also, in solving force balance equations, you usually write down equations along two perpendicular axes. What is your second equation?

i don't really see what you mean? how would you solve this problem?

Hmm. The small ball moves in a horizontal circle. Agree?

The radius of this circle is r sin \alpha. The centripetal force is in the horizontal direction. Can you work it out from there?

whats the centripetal force? mv^2/r*sin(alpha)??
then from there i find what sin(alpha) is and then, use that to find the height h=r(1-cos(alpha))
is that right??

[tex]\sum[/tex]F=m[tex]\frac{v^{2}}{rsin\alpha}[/tex]=m((2pi*f)^2)r*sin(alpha)

now what?? what do i compare the force to??

dont worry about it, i managed,, thanks for the help

Related to Maximum Height of Small Ball in Spinning Hollow Ball: Formula and Conditions

What is the formula for calculating the maximum height of a small ball in a spinning hollow ball?

The formula for calculating the maximum height of a small ball in a spinning hollow ball is h = (R^2 - r^2)ω^2/2g, where h is the maximum height, R is the radius of the hollow ball, r is the radius of the small ball, ω is the angular velocity of the spinning motion, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

What are the conditions for using this formula to calculate the maximum height?

The conditions for using this formula are:

• The small ball must be spinning inside a hollow ball.
  • The spinning motion must be in a vertical plane.
  • The small ball must be starting at the bottom of the hollow ball.
  • The small ball must be released from the spinning motion at the top of the hollow ball.
  • The small ball must not experience any external forces, such as air resistance.

How do the radius and angular velocity affect the maximum height of the small ball?

The radius and angular velocity have a direct impact on the maximum height of the small ball. As the radius of the hollow ball and the angular velocity increase, the maximum height of the small ball also increases. This is because the centrifugal force acting on the small ball increases, allowing it to reach a greater height before falling back down.

What is the significance of the acceleration due to gravity in this formula?

The acceleration due to gravity is a crucial factor in determining the maximum height of the small ball. It represents the force that pulls the small ball back towards the center of the hollow ball, counteracting the centrifugal force. Without gravity, the small ball would continue to move in a straight line and would not reach any maximum height.

How can this formula be applied in real-life situations?

This formula can be applied in situations where a small object is spinning inside a larger object, such as a small ball inside a spinning cylinder or a small marble inside a spinning bowl. It can also be used to study the behavior of objects in a centrifuge or other spinning devices. Additionally, this formula can be used to design amusement park rides or other similar attractions that involve spinning motions.