Maximum Power Transfer for Coupled Emitter Follower

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about calculating the maximum ac power delivered by an emitter follower circuit with an attached load. The circuit parameters, including the output resistance and voltage at the emitter, are provided and found to be correct. The discussion also mentions the use of Ohm's Law and power equations in finding the solution. The solution involves matching the impedances and using a maximum amplitude sine wave to calculate the power. However, there is confusion about the theoretical maximum voltage and how it is divided across the load. It is suggested to simulate the circuit to better understand its behavior.
engineer_ja

Homework Statement

For the attached emitter follower circuit, calculate the maximum ac power (Sinusoidal signal) delivered to an attached load.

I have already calculated Rout of the circuit as 19.2Ω, and the voltage at the emitter at operating point (no input signal) as 10.7V (I know these to be correct).

Homework Equations

Ohms Law
Power equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Max Power transfer implies a load resistor f Rl=Ro=19.2Ω
The maximum amplitude sine wave that could be applied at emitter before railing is 20V-10.7V=9.3V
This is an rms value of6.58V
A sine wave of this rms voltage across the load would give (6.58V)^2/19.2Ω = 2.25W of Power.

The answer however says "emitter voltage at operating point = 10.7V. this is equivalent to an rms of 7.57V" - I don't understand why we us this voltage.
it then says "only half this appears across the load resistor (3.79V)" - I don't understand why. Isn't the ac voltage across the load equal to the ac voltage at the emitter?
this then gives the correct answer as "(3.79V)^2/19.2 = 0.75W"

Any help in explaining this would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Attachment

Image was .tiff so didn't attach, here is a jpeg.

Attachments

• EF.jpg
    EF.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 426
How did you compute R_out? Not with small-signal analysis I hope.

Anyway, the question makes little sense. The max load in reality would be set by max transistor power dissipation. A 19.2 ohm load is absurd. Even with a beta of 100 tyat's a 1.9K load reflected back to the base,;the tranbsistor would be grossly loaded down. The bias operating point would be grossly upset.
Etc.

engineer_ja said:

Homework Statement

For the attached emitter follower circuit, calculate the maximum ac power (Sinusoidal signal) delivered to an attached load.

I have already calculated Rout of the circuit as 19.2Ω, and the voltage at the emitter at operating point (no input signal) as 10.7V (I know these to be correct).

Homework Equations

Ohms Law
Power equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Max Power transfer implies a load resistor f Rl=Ro=19.2Ω
The maximum amplitude sine wave that could be applied at emitter before railing is 20V-10.7V=9.3V
This is an rms value of6.58V
A sine wave of this rms voltage across the load would give (6.58V)^2/19.2Ω = 2.25W of Power.

The answer however says "emitter voltage at operating point = 10.7V. this is equivalent to an rms of 7.57V" - I don't understand why we us this voltage.
it then says "only half this appears across the load resistor (3.79V)" - I don't understand why. Isn't the ac voltage across the load equal to the ac voltage at the emitter?
this then gives the correct answer as "(3.79V)^2/19.2 = 0.75W"

Many thanks in advance.

Presumably the other half apears across the decoupling capacitor.

engineer_ja said:
Many thanks in advance.
It's a bit puzzling. If you have simulation software, I think you should simulate this and run it for various values of load and input. Record the waveshapes to see how well it holds up.

Hi, this isn't real life, its a textbook question.

The question started with identifying the class of amplifier and then finding Ib for hFE=50 and VBE=0.7 for no input supplied. this comes out as 105 muA.
Then using small signal parameters calculate small signal gain and voltage. This again gave m G=0.981 and Ro=19.2 Ohm. these are correct by the mark scheme.

It then asks what the max ac power that can be transferred is. Following 'theory', not reality, this suggests matching the impedances and putting 19.2 Ohm as the load resistor (again correct by the markscheme). My problem is then how the answer calculates max power. I don't how they get their theoretical maximum sine wave as 10.7V, or why they say only half the voltage appears across the load (surely the load is modeled in parallel with output so the full ac voltage appears across it?).

engineer_ja said:
It then asks what the max ac power that can be transferred is. Following 'theory', not reality, this suggests matching the impedances and putting 19.2 Ohm as the load resistor (again correct by the markscheme).
I understand your line of thought, and your method is the way I would have proceeded.

My problem is then how the answer calculates max power. I don't how they get their theoretical maximum sine wave as 10.7V, or why they say only half the voltage appears across the load (surely the load is modeled in parallel with output so the full ac voltage appears across it?).
If you model the output as a Norton source feeding a parallel pair of resistances, then, yes, you can say each resistance gets the full voltage though only half the current. Equivalently, you could see the output as a Thévenin source feeding a pair of series resistances, with each getting the full current though only half the voltage. It is two different ways of expressing the same thing.

Right, I'll have to work through that but it seems to make sense.

Thanks for the help!

1. What is the concept of Maximum Power Transfer for Coupled Emitter Follower?

The concept of Maximum Power Transfer for Coupled Emitter Follower is based on the principle of matching the output impedance of a source to the input impedance of a load in order to transfer the maximum amount of power between the two components.

2. How does Maximum Power Transfer affect the overall performance of a circuit?

Maximum Power Transfer ensures that the power loss in a circuit is minimized, leading to increased efficiency and improved performance. This is especially important in high-power applications.

3. What is the role of the emitter follower circuit in Maximum Power Transfer?

The emitter follower circuit acts as a buffer between the source and load, providing a high input impedance and a low output impedance. This allows for efficient power transfer between the two components.

4. Can Maximum Power Transfer be achieved in all types of circuits?

No, Maximum Power Transfer is only achievable in circuits where the source and load have fixed impedances. In circuits with variable impedances, the power transfer efficiency may vary.

5. What are some practical applications of Maximum Power Transfer for Coupled Emitter Follower?

Maximum Power Transfer is commonly used in audio amplifiers, power supplies, and other high-power circuits to ensure efficient power transfer and minimize power loss. It is also used in electronic devices to prevent overheating and improve overall performance.