Maximum practical size of a BEC

In summary, it was technically challenging to create Bose-Einstein condensates (BECs) of atoms, but it was first achieved in 1995. BECs can be created with molecules as well, and so far they have been visible with the naked eye with optical magnification. The potential size of a BEC is limited by the size of the state that the bosons occupy, and current technological limitations restrict atom BECs to a few thousand individual atoms. However, there is no theoretical limit to the size of a BEC. Some resources provide more details on the engineering challenges of creating BECs and the achievements of the Cornell/Wieman group in 1995. The de Broglie wavelength of the individual bosons
Davephaelon
It's technically very difficult to create BEC's of atoms, using lasers to cool the atoms to near absolute zero, in a vacuum chamber, and it was only first accomplished in 1995, despite being predicted many decades before that. The atom, or molecule, BEC's so far created are, from what I've read, just big enough to be seen by the naked eye, with a little optical magnification. I didn't actually check what the maximum width achieved so far with BEC's, but is there any practical limit to how large an atom, or molecule, BEC could be? If technology wasn't an issue could it be an inch across, a foot, or even 100 feet? I do understand that a BEC entails overlapping de Broglie waves of the individual Bosonic entities. So presumably if one could attain matter wavelengths of the individual bosons of say a foot, that BEC's multiple feet across might be possible.

Physics news on Phys.org
I should have said maximum "theoretical" size of a BEC in my post title, as current technological limitations probably restrict atom BEC's to a few thousand individual atoms.

Davephaelon said:
I do understand that a BEC entails overlapping de Broglie waves of the individual Bosonic entities

That's not really a good description. A better description is that a BEC entails multiple bosons being in the same state: because of the way Bose-Einstein statistics work, the presence of bosons in a particular state makes it more likely for other bosons to be in the same state (whereas with fermions, no two fermions can be in the same state). The potential size of a BEC is limited only by the "size" of the state that all the bosons are to occupy; doing it with atoms as the bosons probably does restrict the potential size because of limits to how much the quantum states of atoms can "spread out".

Davephaelon said:
I should have said maximum "theoretical" size of a BEC in my post title, as current technological limitations probably restrict atom BEC's to a few thousand individual atoms.
It's a fascinating subject. Here are links to two PhD theses which give gruesome detail of the engineering challenges. I think the numbers are around 2 to 3 million atoms/ions now.

https://www2.physics.ox.ac.uk/sites/default/files/2013-01-19/giuseppe_pdf_75967.pdf
http://jilawww.colorado.edu/bec/CornellGroup/theses/ensher_thesis.pdf

Thanks for the responses, and links. In the meantime, I found this very nice slideshow that encapsulates the astonishing achievement of creating a BEC by the Cornell/Wieman group in 1995. An earlier version of their containment system is at the Smithsonian Institution, definitely a must-see whenever I visit that museum.

http://www.colorado.edu/physics/EducationIssues/ModernPhysics/Lecture_Notes/CSMSP11_Lecture27_BEC(asgiven).pdf

Davephaelon said:
I do understand that a BEC entails overlapping de Broglie waves of the individual Bosonic entities. So presumably if one could attain matter wavelengths of the individual bosons of say a foot, that BEC's multiple feet across might be possible.
The de Broglie wavelength of the individual bosons does not extend over the entire condensate. What is important for condensation is for the de Broglie wavelength to be commensurate with the inter-particle distance.

1. What is a BEC?

A BEC (Bose-Einstein condensate) is a state of matter that occurs at extremely low temperatures, where a large number of bosonic particles (such as atoms or molecules) occupy the same quantum state.

2. How is the maximum practical size of a BEC determined?

The maximum practical size of a BEC is determined by the number of particles in the condensate and the strength of the confinement potential, which is controlled by the magnetic or optical trap used to hold the atoms in place.

3. What is the significance of the maximum practical size of a BEC?

The maximum practical size of a BEC is important in understanding the behavior and properties of the condensate. It also provides insights into the quantum nature of matter and can be used in applications such as precision measurement and quantum computing.

4. Is there a limit to the maximum practical size of a BEC?

Yes, there is a limit to the maximum practical size of a BEC. As the number of particles in the condensate increases, the repulsive interactions between them also increase, making it difficult to maintain the coherence of the condensate. Additionally, the confinement potential may not be strong enough to hold a larger number of particles in the same quantum state.

5. Can the maximum practical size of a BEC be increased?

There are ongoing research efforts to increase the maximum practical size of a BEC. This includes using more sophisticated trapping techniques and cooling methods to reduce the effects of particle interactions. Additionally, advancements in technology may allow for larger and more stable BECs to be created in the future.