Maximum Pressure over a Reaction

In summary, the reaction between aluminum oxide and hydrogen gas produces aluminum hydroxide. The equilibrium pressure at which the reaction will occur is dependent on the free energy of formation of the products.
mrjeffy321
Science Advisor
I have an exothermic reaction which evolves gas. The change in entropy of the reaction is -837.02 kJ per 3 moles of gas evolved (about -279 kJ/mol). The reaction takes place inside a sealed container with a constant volume [say volume = 4.5 E-3 m3]. We will assume the temperature of the reaction to be a constant 80° C (far hotter than the temperature outside the container) so as to prevent heat energy flowing into the system from the surroundings.

As the reaction proceeds, the gas evolved must be expanded into the atmosphere above at an ever increasing pressure…a process which takes energy. If we assume all the energy comes from the ambient heat inside the system (which in term comes from the change in enthalpy of the reaction), as the pressure above the reaction grows, eventually the rate of reaction will drop to zero (reaction will stop) since it would take more energy than is released in order to expand the gas.
I am trying to solve for the maximum pressure at which the reaction will still take place.

The work done by the system to expand the gas is equal to,
W = ∆P * V
The point at which the reaction would stop would be when the work to expand the gas equals the change in enthalpy of the reaction.

∆H = ∆P * V
279000 Joules = ∆P * (4.5 E-3 Liters),
∆P = 6.2 E7 Pa ~= 612 atm

This would mean that the reaction would proceed until the “atmospheric” pressure was greater than or equal to about 612 atmospheres!
This is an extremely high pressure, far greater than what I would expect, which leads me to believe I made an error on one of the steps.

Does anyone see where I might have gone wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're looking for equilibrium pressure over a reaction. Use Gibbs.

Gibbs Free Energy? OK.

The problem now is that I cannot find the Free energy of formation or the entropy of formation for one of my products of the reaction,
Aluminum Hydroxide, Al(OH)3.
Without this value, all I can do is estimate the actual change in free energy of the reaction. Based on the values I could find of AlCl3 (-628.8 kJ) and Al2O3 (-1582.3 kJ), I figure Al(OH)3 should be somewhere around -1000 kJ/mol.
If this is true, then the change in free energy of the reaction would be somewhere around -577.22 kJ. If I then follow my previous previous process, I would get a pressure of around 4.3 E7 Pa as the max pressure, only slightly less.

Does anyone know the free energy of formation of Aluminum Hydroxide, Al(OH)3 ?

NIST webbook only seems to have the standard enthalpy of formation of Al(OH)3, not the entropy of free energy value.

I checked my 2000-2001 CRC handbook and there is no entry for Aluminum Hydroxide.

Did you try searching on google? I'm sure it's floating around out there somewhere.

Yes, of course I tried google as well, but no luck on my first few attemps the other day.

I was able to find a figure which looks reasonable on this site,
http://www.geo.cornell.edu/geology/classes/geo321/Weathering_notes_05.pdf

Gf° = -1151 kJ/mol

which is pretty close to the estimate I made earlier up. Using this figure, I get an over all change in free energy from the reaction of -293.07 kJ/mole of gas produced. This would give me a max pressure of about 6.5 E7 Pa or about 642 atm.
Does this seem like a reasonable answer?

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the reaction?

The specific reaction I am dealing with is,
2 Al(s) + 6 H2O(l) --> 2 Al(OH)3(s) + 3 H2(g)

The reason I am not very confident of my answer of some 600 or so atmospheres of pressure is that in practice, I have noticed an appearent drop on the rate of the reaction when even a slight pressure is allowed to accumulate over the reaction.
I know I am not getting it anywhere near 600 atm (otherwise I would not be hear writting this), but it atleast seems like the reactions slows down a lot when the Hydrogen gas produced is allowed to build up pressure inside the reaction vessel.

First, you need to make the distinction between chemical kinetics and thermodynamics; second, you need to state a complete thermodynamic description of the system before trying to do an analysis. Six hundred atmospheres? If hydrogen reduction of aluminum oxide were easy, Alcoa and Reynolds wouldn't be buying, or synthesizing cryolite for electrolysis cells.

Related to Maximum Pressure over a Reaction

What is maximum pressure over a reaction?

Maximum pressure over a reaction refers to the theoretical upper limit of the pressure that can be achieved during a chemical reaction. This pressure is determined by the amount of reactants, their concentrations, and the temperature of the reaction.

Why is maximum pressure important in chemistry?

Maximum pressure is important in chemistry because it can have a significant impact on the rate and efficiency of a reaction. It can also affect the stability of reaction intermediates and the final product.

How is maximum pressure calculated?

Maximum pressure can be calculated using the ideal gas law, which states that the pressure of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature, volume, and number of moles. By knowing these variables, the maximum pressure over a reaction can be determined.

What factors can affect the maximum pressure over a reaction?

The maximum pressure over a reaction can be affected by several factors such as the type and amount of reactants, their concentrations, the temperature of the reaction, and the presence of catalysts. The nature of the reaction and its equilibrium constant can also play a role.

How is maximum pressure over a reaction measured?

Maximum pressure is typically measured using a pressure gauge or sensor, which can be connected to the reaction vessel. The pressure can also be indirectly measured using other techniques such as gas chromatography or mass spectrometry.