Maximum size a mammal could grow to?

• I
  • Thread starter parshyaa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Maximum
In summary, you could try Google or look at historical data to find information on the maximum size an animal could grow to.
parshyaa
I have a presentation on square cube law. But i don't have any numerical data to show.
How could i find the maximum size a animal could go. I know that by using square cube law we could say that greater the size of animal goes lesser its strength becomes. But how could i find the numerical datas for maximum size of humans,elephants,dinosaurs etc.could you help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
parshyaa said:
I know that by using square cube law we could say that greater the size of animal goes lesser its strength becomes.
I'm not really sure how you come about this.
parshyaa said:
But how could i find the numerical datas for maximum size of humans,elephants,dinosaurs etc.could you help me.
Have you seen this paper? It shows that the maximum speed of organisms is roughly proportional to body length across more than 20 orders of magnitude.
http://aapt.scitation.org/doi/full/10.1119/1.4917310

NFuller said:
I'm not really sure how you come about this.
Take two cubes, take 2nd cube exactly doubled in size then cube1(i.e length of cube1= l and that of cube2= 2l)
Now strength for a human/living body is defined as [strength = surface area/volume]
Then strength of cube1 =6/l and
strength of cube2 = 3/l
Therefore
Although the size of cube2 is double of cube1 but its strength is half of cube1
{Ie st.cube1 = 2(str.cube2)}
Therefore greater the size lesser would be the strength.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square

parshyaa said:
But i don't have any numerical data to show.
Have you tried Google?
Blue whales can grow to the size they do because the water supports them.

parshyaa said:
Therefore greater the size lesser would be the strength.
I think you mean the greater the size the lesser the strength to mass ratio. The strength of an elephant is obviously greater than that of a human.

The issue is that the ability of an animal to move its own weight seems roughly constant across a broad scale, as shown in the article in post #2. This causes me to question the validity of your initial assumption.

If your just looking for an upper bound on mammal size, then there are more factors to consider than just muscle mass as sophiecentaur has pointed out.

One approach to this question might be to take a look at several of history's largest mammals. Ask why they were that large and none or few got any larger. How did they do in their eco-system? Why were they large? Why weren't they larger? How did they fare against smaller mammals or against non-mammals?

Seems you could proceed in any of a number of directions from there.

diogenesNY

Likes parshyaa
This is another game of PF Top Trumps, I think. :smile:
All successful species occupy their own Ecological Niche. Elephants are doing favours for Dung Beetles all the time and vice versa.

1. What is the maximum size a mammal could grow to?

The maximum size a mammal can grow to varies depending on the species. The blue whale, which is the largest mammal, can reach lengths of up to 100 feet and weigh up to 200 tons, while the bumblebee bat, the smallest mammal, is only about 1.3 inches in length.

2. Is there a limit to how big a mammal can grow?

There is no definitive limit to how big a mammal can grow, but there are several factors that can affect their growth, such as genetics, environment, and available resources. In general, larger mammals tend to have longer lifespans and slower growth rates compared to smaller mammals.

3. How does the size of a mammal affect its survival?

The size of a mammal can greatly impact its survival. Larger mammals often have an advantage in competition for resources and can defend themselves against predators more effectively. However, smaller mammals typically have shorter lifespans and can reproduce more quickly, allowing them to adapt to changing environments more easily.

4. Can humans control the size of mammals through breeding or genetic engineering?

Humans have been able to selectively breed certain mammals, such as dogs and cats, to create larger or smaller breeds. However, the potential for genetic engineering to control the size of mammals is still being studied and is a controversial topic. There are ethical and practical considerations involved in altering the genetic makeup of a species.

5. Will mammals continue to evolve and potentially grow larger in the future?

As long as mammals continue to exist, they will continue to evolve and adapt to their environments. This could potentially lead to some species growing larger, but it is impossible to predict the exact changes that may occur. Human activities, such as habitat destruction and climate change, may also impact the future evolution and size of mammals.