Maximum stress as percentage of Yield Strength

In summary, the conversation is about finding the maximum stress of a simply supported beam and expressing it as a percentage of the yield strength. The calculated max stress is 1.165MPa, which is only 1% of the yield strength. The follow-up question is how much the cross-sectional wall thickness must be increased to achieve a maximum stress of 40% of the yield strength. The person asking for help is requesting an explanation on how to solve this problem.
Shell343

Homework Statement

Hi guys,

I have a question here, which asks me to express the maximum stress from my simply supported beam, which I worked out to be 1.165MPa, to be expressed as a percentage of the Yield strength 95MN/m^2.

I also have a follow on from that which asked me how much the cross-sectional wall thickness must be increased by so that the max stress is 40% of the yield strength.

Could someone else explain how to work this out to me please?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You will first have to show how you calculated the max stress. Your numbers show that max stress is only about 1% of yield stress, so wall thickness would decrease to get max stress of 40% yield. Please show your work.

What is maximum stress as a percentage of yield strength?

Maximum stress as a percentage of yield strength is a measure of the amount of stress that a material can withstand before it permanently deforms. It is expressed as a percentage of the material's yield strength, which is the maximum amount of stress that a material can handle before it begins to deform plastically.

How is maximum stress as a percentage of yield strength calculated?

Maximum stress as a percentage of yield strength is calculated by dividing the maximum stress that a material can withstand by its yield strength, and then multiplying by 100 to get a percentage. This calculation is commonly used in materials testing to determine the strength and durability of a material.

Why is maximum stress as a percentage of yield strength important?

Maximum stress as a percentage of yield strength is an important factor in understanding the strength and resilience of a material. It helps engineers and scientists determine the safe operating limits for various materials in different applications, and can also provide insight into the overall quality and durability of a material.

How does maximum stress as a percentage of yield strength differ from ultimate tensile strength?

Maximum stress as a percentage of yield strength and ultimate tensile strength (UTS) are both measures of a material's strength, but they represent different properties. Maximum stress as a percentage of yield strength is the amount of stress a material can handle before it begins to deform plastically, while UTS is the maximum amount of stress a material can withstand before it breaks.

What factors can affect maximum stress as a percentage of yield strength?

There are several factors that can affect maximum stress as a percentage of yield strength, including temperature, strain rate, and the presence of impurities or defects in the material. Additionally, the type of loading (tension, compression, etc.) and the material's microstructure can also play a role in determining its maximum stress as a percentage of yield strength.