Maximum tension in a cable holding a drawbridge

In summary, the speaker is explaining their method of thinking for solving a problem involving tension on a rotating bridge. They initially concluded that the maximum tension occurs at 90 degrees without using formal methods, but they are unsure if this is correct. They also discuss the relevance of including the force at the hinge in different equations and the potential tediousness of deriving a general formula for any angle. However, the importance of creating a free-body diagram is emphasized in solving mechanics problems.
greg_rack
Gold Member
Homework Statement
A drawbridge system consists of a uniform ramp, of weight W , that is smoothly hinged at its lower end. The upper end is connected by a light, inextensible cable to a winch that is fixed to the wall in the position shown in the diagram(image below).
The ramp is lowered slowly, at constant speed, from its closed (vertical) position (θ = 0°) to its open (horizontal) position (θ = 90°).
What is the maximum tension in the cable during this process? (double-angle identities: sin 2θ = 2sin θ cos θ ; cos 2θ = cos2 θ – sin2 θ )
Relevant Equations
Weight
Trigonometry
Schermata 2020-10-10 alle 18.57.35.png
My result for this problem is correct, but I would like to submit to you the method I used since it doesn't convince me.
The problem asks for the maximum tension on the cable from the transition to 0 to 90 degrees; I firstly concluded just by thinking, not using formulas or particularly formal methods, that the maximum tension must have been exerted for Θ=90°. Consequently, I started writing down the free
body diagram, including the weight applied to the middle of the drawbridge and the cable tension applied to the right corner of the drawbridge.
Now, placing the total momentum Mtot=0, I found the final formula and the correct answer... but I have a question: why wouldn't it have worked by placing just the total forces Ftot=0? Is that a non-working condition in problems consisting of a rotating body around a pivot?
I'm sorry but its a lot of time that I'm not studying such topics... and sometimes I Get confused!

Physics news on Phys.org
greg_rack said:
My result for this problem is correct, but I would like to submit to you the method I used since it doesn't convince me.
... I firstly concluded just by thinking, not using formulas or particularly formal methods, that the maximum tension must have been exerted for Θ=90°.
Can you give us your particular thought process that led you to conclude that the maximum tension occurs at 90o?

The fact that they gave you some trig identities makes me think that you are expected to derive an expression for the tension for any angle θ.

... but I have a question: why wouldn't it have worked by placing just the total forces Ftot=0? Is that a non-working condition in problems consisting of a rotating body around a pivot?
Ftot = 0 is a valid formula for this problem. But, the tension in the cable and the gravitational force are not the only forces acting on the bridge. The hinge also exerts a force on the bridge. This force would have to be included in Ftot.

Can you see why you didn't need to include the force at the hinge in Mtot?

Likes greg_rack
TSny said:
Can you give us your particular thinking process that led you to conclude that the maximum tension occurs at 90o?
Since the vertical weight component is maximized at 90°, and since its the factor which leads to an increase in the tension on the cable, I have immediately deducted it must have been maximum for θ=90°... but that doesn't convince me, its too empirical!

TSny said:
The fact that they gave you some trig identities makes me think that you are expected to derive an expression for the tension for any angle θ.
Exactly... but how? Deriving a general formula for any angle θ looks like quite tedious...

TSny said:
Can you see why you didn't need to include the force at the hinge in Mtot?
Yup, I got the point! Of course the force exerted by/on the hinge isn't relevant speaking in terms of momentum, since any force applied to the pivot has a related M=0.

greg_rack said:
Since the vertical weight component is maximized at 90°, and since its the factor which leads to an increase in the tension on the cable, I have immediately deducted it must have been maximum for θ=90°... but that doesn't convince me, its too empirical!
The vertical weight component is always mg. So it doesn't change. But, if you mean that the moment (about the hinge) due to the weight is maximized at 90o, you are right. But that, by itself, is not enough to conclude that the tension in the cable must be a maximum at 90o. It just means that the moment (about the hinge) due to the tension is maximized. The moment due to a force depends not only on the magnitude of the force, but also the direction of the force.

Exactly... but how? Deriving a general formula for any angle θ looks like quite tedious...
The mantra of the mechanics portion of any introductory physics course is "free-body diagram".

Yup, I got the point! Of course the force exerted by/on the hinge isn't relevant speaking in terms of momentum, since any force applied to the pivot has a related M=0.
Yes. If you take the hinge as the origin for calculating moments, then the force at the hinge has zero moment. (I know you meant "moment", rather than "momentum".)

TSny said:
The vertical weight component is always mg. So it doesn't change. But, if you mean that the moment (about the hinge) due to the weight is maximized at 90o, you are right. But that, by itself, is not enough to conclude that the tension in the cable must be a maximum at 90o. It just means that the moment (about the hinge) due to the tension is maximized. The moment due to a force depends not only on the magnitude of the force, but also the direction of the force.
I have managed to generalize the procedure by getting Tension depending on Weight and sin(θ/2), concluding it must have been maximized for the greatest theta possible, which in this case is indeed 90°!

Likes TSny
greg_rack said:
I have managed to generalize the procedure by getting Tension depending on Weight and sin(θ/2), ...
Do you mind showing us your work?

1. What is maximum tension in a cable holding a drawbridge?

The maximum tension in a cable holding a drawbridge is the maximum amount of force or stress that the cable can withstand before breaking or experiencing permanent deformation. It is an important factor to consider in the design and maintenance of drawbridges to ensure their safety and functionality.

2. How is maximum tension calculated for a drawbridge cable?

Maximum tension is calculated by taking into account the weight of the drawbridge, the weight of any vehicles or objects on the bridge, and the angle of the cable. It is also important to consider the material and strength of the cable itself, as well as any external factors such as wind or temperature.

3. What happens if the maximum tension is exceeded in a drawbridge cable?

If the maximum tension is exceeded in a drawbridge cable, it can result in the cable breaking or experiencing permanent deformation. This can cause the drawbridge to collapse or become unstable, posing a safety hazard to anyone on or near the bridge.

4. How can the maximum tension in a drawbridge cable be increased?

The maximum tension in a drawbridge cable can be increased by using a stronger and more durable cable material, increasing the number of cables used, or adjusting the angle of the cable. Regular maintenance and inspections can also help to ensure that the cable is in good condition and able to withstand maximum tension.

5. What safety measures are in place to prevent the maximum tension from being exceeded in a drawbridge cable?

Drawbridge designers and engineers take into account various safety measures to prevent the maximum tension from being exceeded in a drawbridge cable. This includes using high-quality and durable materials, conducting regular inspections and maintenance, and implementing weight limits for vehicles and objects on the bridge. Additionally, warning signs and barriers may be in place to prevent excessive weight or pressure on the bridge.