Maximum Value of Square Root Expression with Three Variables in [0,1]

• MHB
  • Thread starter anemone
  • Start date
In summary, the maximum value of a square root expression with three variables in the range of [0,1] is 1. This can be achieved by setting all three variables to their maximum value of 1. The range [0,1] represents the domain of possible values for the three variables in the square root expression and by limiting the range, we can determine the maximum value within this specific range. The maximum value can be calculated by setting all three variables to their maximum value of 1 and solving the resulting expression. The maximum value can only be 1 when all three variables are set to their maximum value of 1 and finding this value can help determine optimal values for the variables in various applications.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Here is this week's POTW:

-----

Let $x,\,y,\,z\in [0,\,1]$. Find the maximum value of $\sqrt{|x-y|}+\sqrt{|y-z|}+\sqrt{|z-x|}$.

-----

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi MHB, I have been feeling so sick for the past few days (due to chicken pox) and even now, I just couldn't sit but have to lie down most of the time.

Therefore any activities involving me in this forum will be delayed until I feel much better.

Hi MHB! I am back, even though I am not fully recovered yet, but, I am back. (Nod)

Unfortunately, no one answered last two week's POTW.(Sadface) You can read the suggested solution of other as follows:
We may assume $0\le x \le y \le z \le 1$. Then we let

$M=\sqrt{y-x}+\sqrt{z-y}+\sqrt{z-x}$

Since $\sqrt{y-x}+\sqrt{z-y}\le \sqrt{2[(y-x)+(z-y)]}=\sqrt{2(z-x)}$, we have

$M\le \sqrt{2(z-x)}+\sqrt{z-x}=(\sqrt{2}+1)\sqrt{z-x}\le \sqrt{2}+1$

The equality holds if and only if $y-x=z-y,\,x=0, z=1,\,y=\dfrac{1}{2}$.

Hence, $\sqrt{|x-y|}+\sqrt{|y-z|}+\sqrt{|z-x|}\le \sqrt{2}+1$.

Related to Maximum Value of Square Root Expression with Three Variables in [0,1]

1. What is the maximum value of a square root expression with three variables in the range of [0,1]?

The maximum value of a square root expression with three variables in the range of [0,1] is 1. This occurs when all three variables are equal to 1.

2. How do you find the maximum value of a square root expression with three variables in the range of [0,1]?

To find the maximum value of a square root expression with three variables in the range of [0,1], you can use the method of Lagrange multipliers. This involves setting up and solving a system of equations to find the critical points, and then evaluating the function at those points to find the maximum value.

3. Can the maximum value of a square root expression with three variables in the range of [0,1] be greater than 1?

No, the maximum value of a square root expression with three variables in the range of [0,1] cannot be greater than 1. This is because the square root function is only defined for non-negative numbers, and the maximum value of three variables in the range of [0,1] is 1.

4. Is there a specific formula for finding the maximum value of a square root expression with three variables in the range of [0,1]?

Yes, there is a specific formula for finding the maximum value of a square root expression with three variables in the range of [0,1]. This formula is known as the generalized arithmetic-geometric mean inequality and involves taking the average of the variables and their product, and then taking the square root of that value.

5. What is the significance of finding the maximum value of a square root expression with three variables in the range of [0,1]?

Finding the maximum value of a square root expression with three variables in the range of [0,1] can be useful in optimization problems, where we want to find the maximum value of a function subject to certain constraints. It can also provide insight into the behavior of the function and help us understand its properties.