Maxwell 2D (ANSOFT): Error analysis

In summary, Maxwell 2D (ANSOFT) is a software program used for electromagnetic simulation and analysis of 2D structures and devices. It uses various methods, such as the finite element method and the boundary element method, to perform error analysis and can handle complex geometries. It can detect a wide range of errors, including geometric, material, and boundary conditions errors, and has the capability to analyze transient and harmonic analysis. The accuracy of the error analysis depends on various factors, but it is known to provide highly accurate results and is widely used in industries such as automotive, aerospace, and telecommunications.
Darion13
Dear all,

I've done many analysis in Maxwell, but in the last ones I'm paying special attention to the error plots. I've been ploting Energy Error and Time Error, but I've got the feeling that I don't know how to properly interpretate it.

Fist of all, to validate one simulation, should I analyse only Energy and Time error? Or are there other solutions that I should watch over?

Second: Does anyone know how to interpretate the magnitud of these errors? A Timer error in any step of 500 is much? An Energy error of 0.325 is much?

Thanks everyone!

Engineering news on Phys.org

Thank you for bringing up the topic of error analysis in Maxwell simulations. I completely understand your concern and the importance of properly interpreting error plots.

To answer your first question, analyzing both Energy and Time error is a good starting point for validating a simulation. However, there are other factors that should also be taken into consideration, such as convergence and accuracy of the solution. It is always recommended to compare the results with experimental or theoretical data, if available, to ensure the accuracy of the simulation.

Regarding your second question, the magnitude of errors can vary depending on the specific simulation and the desired accuracy. In general, a Time error of 500 in a single step may not be significant, but if it accumulates over multiple steps, it can lead to a significant deviation from the actual solution. Similarly, an Energy error of 0.325 may be acceptable for some simulations, but for others, it may indicate a significant deviation from the expected result.

In summary, when interpreting error plots, it is important to consider the specific simulation and the desired accuracy. It is also recommended to compare the results with other sources to validate the simulation. I hope this helps, and if you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

1. What is Maxwell 2D (ANSOFT)?

Maxwell 2D (ANSOFT) is a software program used for electromagnetic simulation and analysis. It is designed for engineers and scientists to model and analyze electromagnetic phenomena in 2D structures and devices.

2. How does Maxwell 2D (ANSOFT) perform error analysis?

Maxwell 2D (ANSOFT) uses various methods to perform error analysis, such as the finite element method and the boundary element method. These methods allow for accurate calculation of electromagnetic fields and provide insight into potential errors in the design of 2D structures.

3. Can Maxwell 2D (ANSOFT) handle complex geometries?

Yes, Maxwell 2D (ANSOFT) has the ability to handle complex geometries and structures. It has a user-friendly interface that allows for easy creation and modification of shapes and structures for analysis.

4. What types of errors can Maxwell 2D (ANSOFT) detect?

Maxwell 2D (ANSOFT) can detect a wide range of errors, including geometric errors, material errors, and boundary conditions errors. It also has the capability to analyze transient and harmonic analysis, which can help identify errors in time-varying or frequency-dependent systems.

5. How accurate is the error analysis performed by Maxwell 2D (ANSOFT)?

The accuracy of error analysis performed by Maxwell 2D (ANSOFT) depends on various factors such as the complexity of the structure, the accuracy of the input parameters, and the chosen analysis method. However, it is known to provide highly accurate results and has been widely used in industries such as automotive, aerospace, and telecommunications.