Maxwell Ampere law capacitor problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the direction of displacement current in a capacitor and how it can change depending on whether the capacitor is charging or discharging. It also mentions that the displacement current is zero when the real current is zero. The expert suggests that the direction of the displacement current is determined by the variation of the electric field and that when the current goes up, it means the capacitor is charging.
Amaelle
Member advised to use the formatting template for all homework help requests
Good day All!
I have an issue solving this question
CAPACITOR1.png

According to my basic understanding, the displacement current goes from the positive plate to the negative plate, so whether the capacitor is charging or discharging the magnetic field direction should remain the same, but here is the the solution
CAPACITOR2.png

I know that there is something missing in my understanding, so any help would be highly appreciated! thanks!

Attachments

• CAPACITOR1.png
    CAPACITOR1.png
    40.6 KB · Views: 1,424
  • CAPACITOR2.png
    CAPACITOR2.png
    46.9 KB · Views: 1,517
Physics news on Phys.org
Amaelle said:
Good day All!
I have an issue solving this questionView attachment 219853

According to my basic understanding, the displacement current goes from the positive plate to the negative plate, so whether the capacitor is charging or discharging the magnetic field direction should remain the same, but here is the the solutionView attachment 219854
I know that there is something missing in my understanding, so any help would be highly appreciated! thanks!

I don't think you are correct when you say, "[...] the displacement current goes from the positive plate to the negative plate, so whether the capacitor is charging or discharging the magnetic field direction should remain the same [...]."

The direction of the displacement current can change depending on whether the capacitor is charging (Q increasing) or discharging (Q decreasing).

[Hint: the displacement current in this example is zero when the real current is zero (when Q is not changing).]

Likes Amaelle
Thanks a million, the direction of the displacement current is that of the variation of the Electric field , is that case, the current goes up means that E is increasing means that the capacitor is charging!

Likes collinsmark

What is the Maxwell Ampere law capacitor problem?

The Maxwell Ampere law capacitor problem is a physics problem that involves the application of Maxwell's equations to a system of capacitors. It aims to determine the electric and magnetic fields inside and outside the capacitors when they are connected to a power source.

What are Maxwell's equations?

Maxwell's equations are a set of four fundamental equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in space. They are named after Scottish physicist James Clerk Maxwell and are essential in understanding electromagnetism.

How does the Maxwell Ampere law capacitor problem relate to real-life applications?

The Maxwell Ampere law capacitor problem is applicable in various real-life scenarios, such as in the design of electric circuits, power transmission systems, and electronic devices. It also helps in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves, which are used in communication technologies.

What are the key steps in solving the Maxwell Ampere law capacitor problem?

The key steps in solving the Maxwell Ampere law capacitor problem include: setting up the problem using appropriate boundary conditions, applying Maxwell's equations to the system of capacitors, solving for the electric and magnetic fields using mathematical techniques, and analyzing the results to draw conclusions about the behavior of the system.

What are some challenges in solving the Maxwell Ampere law capacitor problem?

Some challenges in solving the Maxwell Ampere law capacitor problem include dealing with complex geometries, non-uniform electric and magnetic fields, and non-linear materials. Additionally, the equations may require advanced mathematical techniques, and the results may need to be verified through experimental data.