Maxwell-Boltzmann Distribution

In summary, the OP is trying to find the contribution of one particle to the partition function. There should be a factor of ##V## and the exponential should have a minus sign.
Heisenberg2001
Homework Statement
Consider a monoatomic gas, whose momentum relation is ##\vec{p}=m\vec{v}##, where ##\vec{v}## is the three-dimensional velocity of the gas particles.

1. Show that the classical partition function can be written as $$z=\frac{4\pi m^3}{h^3}\int dv v^2e^{\beta \frac{mv^2}{2}}.$$

2. Let ##f(v)=Av^2e^{\beta \frac{mv^2}{2}}.## Find ##A## such that ##\int_{0}^{\infty}dv f(v)=1.##
Relevant Equations
##\vec{p}=m\vec{v}\, , \,z=\frac{4\pi m^3}{h^3}\int dv v^2e^{\beta \frac{mv^2}{2}}##

##f(v)=Av^2e^{\beta \frac{mv^2}{2}}\, , \,\int_{0}^{\infty}dv f(v)=1##

##\vec{p}=m\vec{v}##

##H=\frac{\vec{p}^2}{2m}+V=\frac{1}{2}m\vec{v}^2##

##z=\frac{1}{(2\pi \hbar)^3}\int d^3\vec{q}d^3\vec{p}e^{-\beta H(\vec{p},\vec{q})}##

##z=\frac{Vm^3}{(2\pi \hbar)^3}\int d^3 \vec{v}e^{-\beta \frac{mv^2}{2}}##

##z=\frac{Vm^3}{(2\pi \frac{h}{2\pi})^3}\int d^3 \vec{v}e^{-\beta \frac{mv^2}{2}}##

##z=\frac{Vm^3}{h^3}\int d^3 \vec{v}e^{-\beta \frac{mv^2}{2}}##

I am lost at this point of the solution. Can someone assist me with this?

##\int_{0}^{\infty}dv f(v)=1##

##\int_{0}^{\infty}Av^2e^{\beta \frac{mv^2}{2}}dv=1##

##A\int_{0}^{\infty}v^2e^{\beta \frac{mv^2}{2}}dv=1##

##A\frac{1}{4\left(\frac{\beta m}{2} \right)}\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{\frac{\beta m}{2}}}=1##

##A=\sqrt{\frac{4\beta ^3m^3}{2\pi}}##

##A=4\pi \sqrt {\left(\frac{\beta m}{2\pi} \right)^3}##

##A=4\pi \left( \frac{m}{2\pi k_BT} \right)^\frac{3}{2}##

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Heisenberg2001 said:
I am lost at this point of the solution. Can someone assist me with this?
Change to spherical coordinates and integrate the angles out.

vela said:
Change to spherical coordinates and integrate the angles out.
There would still be a minus sign left in the exponential and a volume term V outside.

gurbir_s said:
There would still be a minus sign left in the exponential and a volume term V outside.
It appears ##z## is the contribution from just one particle to the partition function, and there should be a factor of ##V##. Also, the exponential should have a minus sign. It could simply be typos by the OP.

vela said:
It appears ##z## is the contribution from just one particle to the partition function, and there should be a factor of ##V##. Also, the exponential should have a minus sign. It could simply be typos by the OP.
Yes, ##z## should be the contribution from one particle only as the integral is over a 6d phase space.

Also note that a - is missing in the exponential ;-).

vanhees71 said:
Also note that a - is missing in the exponential ;-).
How do I edit the equations that I have typed? I can't see an edit button.

After a short period of time, posts cannot be edited. Paste your latex into a fresh new post, then edit it to make your changes. Or add comments....

What is the Maxwell-Boltzmann Distribution?

The Maxwell-Boltzmann Distribution is a probability distribution that describes the distribution of speeds of particles in a gas at a given temperature. It is named after James Clerk Maxwell and Ludwig Boltzmann, who developed the concept in the late 19th century.

What is the significance of the Maxwell-Boltzmann Distribution?

The Maxwell-Boltzmann Distribution is significant because it provides a mathematical model for understanding the behavior of particles in a gas. It is used in many fields, including physics, chemistry, and engineering, to predict the behavior of gases and to design experiments and technologies.

What factors affect the shape of the Maxwell-Boltzmann Distribution?

The shape of the Maxwell-Boltzmann Distribution is affected by two main factors: temperature and molecular mass. As temperature increases, the peak of the distribution shifts to higher speeds and the curve becomes wider. As molecular mass increases, the peak of the distribution shifts to lower speeds and the curve becomes narrower.

How is the Maxwell-Boltzmann Distribution related to the Ideal Gas Law?

The Maxwell-Boltzmann Distribution is related to the Ideal Gas Law through the root-mean-square speed of particles. This speed is used in the Ideal Gas Law to calculate the pressure of a gas, and it is derived from the Maxwell-Boltzmann Distribution.

What are some real-world applications of the Maxwell-Boltzmann Distribution?

The Maxwell-Boltzmann Distribution has many real-world applications, including in the design of gas-powered engines, the study of diffusion and effusion in gases, and the development of technologies like gas sensors and gas chromatography. It is also used in the study of planetary atmospheres and the behavior of particles in space.