Maxwell Smart (Don Adams) Died

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Maxwell
In summary: I always wanted one of those phone booths. Dial the right number and whoosh...Agent 13 (David Ketchum) and Agent 44 (Victor French, Al Molinaro) were forever being stationed inside weird places such as mailboxes, washing machines, lockers, garbage chutes, and other objects of limited volume.In summary, Don Adams, also known as Agent 86, on the 1960s TV series Get Smart, has died at age 82. Adams played Maxwell Smart, the agent who puzzled villains and his boss with his confusing explanations and farcical combat style. His three Emmy awards are testament to his comedic genius.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
Morning Edition, September 27, 2005 · Don Adams, also known as Agent 86, on the 1960s TV series Get Smart, has died at age 82. :frown: Adams played Maxwell Smart, the agent who puzzled villains and his boss with his confusing explanations and farcical combat style.

The role of the clueless secret agent, bolstered by the comic writing talents of Mel Brooks and Buck Henry, won Adams three Emmy awards. Two attempts to revive it proved unsuccessful, but the original run left TV fans of a certain age with a store of catch phrases. See story and Maxwell Smart's catch phrases at - http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4865354

Don Adams is right up there with Peter Sellers, the Monty Python group, and Rowan Atkinson.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry to hear that. He was a comedic genius. He was up here for a while staring in his own show about a grocery store. Can't remember the name of it now.

Too bad. I loved 86, 99, Heimie, the cone of silence, Zigfried... It was the second greatest show that I've ever seen. Okay, well, would you believe that it was okay? Well, would you believe that it was more entertaining than watching popcorn? :biggrin:

I heard of his death the other day. :frown:

I always talk about the "cone of silence" and no one knows to what I am referring. :grumpy:

would you believe that was and still is my favourite tv show ?

I remember that show. I used to watch it as a child. I don't need to read those links to remember "Missed it by that much" as he holds his thumb and forefinger in front of him. Can't say I recall the cone of silence, but I remember 99. Those boots were made for walkin'.

Comedy is my favorite style of acting! I use to watch it{Get Smart}with my Dad, it was a great show, I wanted a shoe phone sooo bad! I was also a Underdog fan, where Don Adams voiced the part of Tennessee Tuxedo. My youngest was a Inspector Gadget fan.
Thats a great compliment, making 3 generations laugh.

I always think of the opening credits...walking down the hallway with all of the sliding doors.

FredGarvin said:
I always think of the opening credits...walking down the hallway with all of the sliding doors.

I wanted one of those phone booths. Dial the right number and whoosh...

Agent 13 (David Ketchum) and Agent 44 (Victor French, Al Molinaro) were forever being stationed inside weird places such as mailboxes, washing machines, lockers, garbage chutes, and other objects of limited volume.

Hymie the CONTROL robot played by Richard (Dick) Gautier was hilarious.

One of my favorite scenes had 86 and Zigfried meeting secretly in a park late at night. They each proceeded to surrender one secret weapon after another... and of course each knew precisely what weapons the other was carrying. And each got jealous when the other had a cooler weapon. Anyway, no way to do it justice but great stuff!

Don't forget Max's suicide pills. I think they were raspberry that month -- Siegfried seemed jealous, and Max offered him one! :biggrin:

Hurkyl said:
Don't forget Max's suicide pills. I think they were raspberry that month -- Siegfried seemed jealous, and Max offered him one! :biggrin:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: That's right!

1. What was the cause of Maxwell Smart's death?

According to his family, Don Adams (the actor who played Maxwell Smart) passed away due to complications from a lung infection in 2005.

2. How old was Maxwell Smart at the time of his death?

Don Adams was 82 years old at the time of his death.

3. What is Maxwell Smart's real name?

Maxwell Smart's real name is Maxwell "Max" Tennyson, but he often used the alias "Maxwell Smart" when working as a secret agent.

4. Was Maxwell Smart's death unexpected?

While Don Adams had been in declining health for some time, his death was still unexpected by many of his fans.

5. What were some of Maxwell Smart's most famous catchphrases?

Maxwell Smart was known for his witty and humorous one-liners, such as "Missed it by that much!" and "Would you believe...?"

Back