Maxwell's Equations, Hodge Operators & Tensor Analysis

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of p-form Maxwell equations in (2+1)D electrodynamics. These equations are written in the Fourier domain Σ and involve different physical quantities such as H (magnetizing field), D (electric displacement field), J (electric current density), E (electric field), B (magnetic field), and Q (electric charge density). The conversation also raises questions about how these physical quantities are associated with tensors, particularly the magnetic field which is a 2-form. The conversation ends with a recommendation to refer to some sources for a better understanding of Maxwell equations as differential forms.
Silviu
Hello! I am reading this paper and on page 18 it states that "in (2 + 1)D electrodynamics, p−form Maxwell equations in the Fourier domain Σ are written as: ##dE=i \omega B ##, ##dB=0##, ##dH=-i\omega D + J##, ##dD = Q## where H is a 0-form (magnetizing field), D (electric displacement field), J(electric current density) and E (electric field) are 1-forms, while B (magnetic field) and Q (electric charge density) are 2-forms." Can someone explain to me how does he associates these physical quantities with tensors? How, for example, can the magnetic field be a 2-form, as the magnetic field on its own is not even relativistically invariant (if I would force myself to make it a one-form), let alone a 2-form? Also what is the Fourier domain Σ? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, for one thing, a p-form is dual to a D-p form, because they have the same amount of independent components. But I don't see directly how to fit the 2 (?) components of B in a one-form.

If H is a 0 form, and you pull back on it, it should map back to a 2 form, no? I.E take the cartesian basis ## \omega = \left\{ dx, dy \right\} ##. If I take the hodge dual of a 0 form it'll look like this ##\star 1 = dx \wedge dy ## But it's late here, and I'm confusing myself with my own responses, so I'll post the place where I learned about maxwell as differential forms, and try to answer better in the morning.

He has 3 sections on it, none of them are very long:
(1): http://physics.oregonstate.edu/coursewikis/GDF/book/gdf/maxwell1
(2): http://physics.oregonstate.edu/coursewikis/GDF/book/gdf/maxwell2
(3): http://physics.oregonstate.edu/coursewikis/GDF/book/gdf/maxwell3

1. What are Maxwell's Equations?

Maxwell's Equations are a set of four partial differential equations that describe the fundamental laws of electromagnetism. They were developed by James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century and are used to explain the behavior of electric and magnetic fields.

2. What is the Hodge Operator?

The Hodge Operator is a mathematical operator used in differential geometry to define a correspondence between forms and their duals. It is named after mathematician William Vallance Douglas Hodge and is used in many areas of mathematics, including Maxwell's Equations and tensor analysis.

3. What is Tensor Analysis?

Tensor analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and manipulation of objects called tensors. Tensors are mathematical objects that can be used to represent linear relations between vectors, scalars, and other tensors. They are used in many areas of physics, including electromagnetism and general relativity.

4. How are Maxwell's Equations related to the Hodge Operator?

The Hodge Operator is used in Maxwell's Equations to relate electric and magnetic fields. The first two equations, Gauss's Law and Gauss's Law for Magnetism, involve the divergence of electric and magnetic fields, respectively. The other two equations, Faraday's Law and Ampere's Law, involve the curl of electric and magnetic fields, respectively. The Hodge Operator is used to define these operations on vector fields.

5. Why are Maxwell's Equations important?

Maxwell's Equations are important because they provide a unified understanding of electricity and magnetism. They have been extensively tested and have been shown to accurately predict the behavior of electromagnetic fields. They are also the foundation of many modern technologies, including radio, television, and telecommunications.