Maxwell's Equations in Different Lorentz Frames: Are They Equivalent?

In summary: Now, what happens if we want to "carry over" the partial derivatives of ##A## to ##U##? We can do this by writing ##U = U_{\mu} \left( \partial_\mu A^{\mu} -\partial_\mu A^{\mu}\right)## and then insisting that the inner product on the left side is always zero:##U_{\mu} \left( \partial_\mu A^{\mu} -\partial_\mu A^{\mu}\right) = 0##.So, we can write the Maxwell equations in the usual 3-vector form as$$\vec E = -\
kent davidge
Do the Maxwell equations in the usual 3-vector form have the same form in any Lorentz frame? For example, the one that says ##\nabla \cdot \vec B = 0## will be valid in another, primed Lorentz frame? That is ##\nabla' \cdot \vec {B'} = 0##?

Physics news on Phys.org
kent davidge said:
Do the Maxwell equations in the usual 3-vector form have the same form in any Lorentz frame? For example, the one that says ##\nabla \cdot \vec B = 0## will be valid in another, primed Lorentz frame? That is ##\nabla' \cdot \vec {B'} = 0##?
Yes. It is a tedious exercise, but you can work through it and prove it.

Dale said:
Yes. It is a tedious exercise, but you can work through it and prove it.
How is it tedious? Knowing the covariant form of Maxwell’s equations I find it pretty straight forward ...

Orodruin said:
How is it tedious? Knowing the covariant form of Maxwell’s equations I find it pretty straight forward ...
It is tedious to me because using three-vector equations is always tedious when you know the covariant equations.

Likes PeterDonis
Dale said:
using three-vector equations is always tedious when you know the covariant equations

IIRC, MTW give some examples where the covariant (4-D tensor) equations can be used to derive the 3-vector equations more easily than the 3-vector view itself can, and one of the examples has to do with transforming EM fields.

Dale said:
It is tedious to me because using three-vector equations is always tedious when you know the covariant equations.
The easiest way of doing it is first showing that the full covariant form implies the three-vector form. This in itself is just a couple of lines.

Orodruin said:
The easiest way of doing it is first showing that the full covariant form implies the three-vector form. This in itself is just a couple of lines.

It seemed messy to me as well, but I suppose if you look up the dual of the Faraday tensor (here denoted as G) in terms of the E and B field components from wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_tensor or some other more reliable textbook, you can get ##\nabla \cdot B = 0## from ##\partial_a G^{a0} = 0##

Doing all the equations still strikes me as a pain, though.

pervect said:
Doing all the equations still strikes me as a pain, though.
It really isn’t. I would do it but I am on my phone and writing TeX on the phone is a pain.

Orodruin said:
It really isn’t. I would do it but I am on my phone and writing TeX on the phone is a pain.
So here goes (up to arbitrary unit-dependent constants). The main thing to remember is that (using Greek letters for indices going from 0 to 3 and Latin letters for those going from 1 to 3):
$$
E^i = F^{i0} \quad \mbox{and} \quad B^i = -\epsilon_{ijk}F^{jk}/2 \quad \mbox{or} \quad F^{ij} = -\epsilon_{ijk} B^k.
$$
From ##\partial_\mu F^{\mu\nu} = J^\nu## follows that
$$
\rho = J^0 = \partial_0 F^{00} + \partial_i F^{i0} = 0 + \partial_i E^i = \nabla \cdot \vec E
$$
and that
$$
\vec J = \vec e_i J^i = \vec e_i \partial_\mu F^{\mu i} = \vec e_i [\partial_0 F^{0i} + \partial_j F^{ji}] = - \partial_t \vec E - \vec e_i \epsilon_{jik} \partial_j B^k
= - \partial_t \vec E + \nabla \times \vec B.
$$
The remaining Maxwell equations follow in exactly the same way but for the dual field tensor with no source term. I honestly don't think that this is "a pain". It is just about splitting the sum in ##\partial_\mu F^{\mu\nu}## into the temporal and spatial parts.

Last edited:
Likes SiennaTheGr8 and weirdoguy
Orodruin said:
$$
B^i = -\epsilon_{ijk}F^{ij}$$
See, I find even just writing down this theee vector right here tedious. I mean, I always worry about making a mistake while writing the components of ##\epsilon_{ijk}##.

Likes SiennaTheGr8
Dale said:
See, I find even just writing down this theee vector right here tedious. I mean, I always worry about making a mistake while writing the components of ##\epsilon_{ijk}##.
But much less tedious than actually doing it in the three-vector formalism ...

Likes Dale
It's actually possible to obtain the electric and magnetic fields from four-vector relations alone—no rank-2 tensors, no Ricci-calculus notation. Haven't seen anyone else do it this way, but it works, and I find it helpful. Your mileage may vary.

The "trick," if you want to call it that, is that the four-tensor expression ##(\partial^{\mu} A^{\nu} - \partial^{\nu} A^{\mu}) U_{\nu}## is "like" the "cross product" between ##\mathbf U## and the "curl" of ##\mathbf A##. I use scare quotes because there is no such thing as a cross product or curl of four-vectors (unless one tweaks some definitions, which some people do), but the analogy is perfect if you use the "bac - cab" expansion of the vector triple product.

Here's what I mean. With Feynman notation, we have the following three-vector identity:

## \mathbf a \times (\nabla \times \mathbf c) = \nabla_{\mathbf c} (\mathbf a \cdot \mathbf c) - (\mathbf a \cdot \nabla) \mathbf c ##.

The analogy I'm drawing is with the right side of that expression:

## (\partial^{\mu} A^{\nu} - \partial^{\nu} A^{\mu}) U_{\nu} = \vec \partial_{\mathbf A} ( \mathbf U \cdot \mathbf A ) - ( \mathbf U \cdot \vec \partial ) \mathbf A ##,

where ##\vec \partial = (\partial^t, - \nabla) ## is the four-del operator (sorry for mixing arrow notation in there—emboldening ##\partial## doesn't work).

So the Lorentz four-force can be notated like this (##c = 1##):

##\mathbf F = q \left( \vec \partial_{\mathbf A} ( \mathbf U \cdot \mathbf A ) - ( \mathbf U \cdot \vec \partial ) \mathbf A \right) ##,

where ##\mathbf U = (U^t, \mathbf{u} )## is the four-velocity of the test charge and ##\mathbf A = (A^t, \mathbf{a})## is the four-potential. (And the Feynman notation here is extraneous superfluous [edited], since the particle's four-velocity has no dependence on four-position anyway.) If you write that in "1 + 3" component form, after some work (including the three-vector "bac - cab" rule) you end up with:

##\mathbf F = q \left( \mathbf{u} \cdot (- \nabla A^t - \partial^t \mathbf{a}), \, U^t (-\nabla A^t - \partial^t \mathbf{a}) + \mathbf{u} \times (\nabla \times \mathbf{a}) \right)##.

Then define the three-vector fields ##\mathbf e## and ##\mathbf b## to simplify that:

##\mathbf F = q \left( \mathbf{u} \cdot \mathbf{e}, \, U^t \mathbf{e} + \mathbf{u} \times \mathbf{b} \right)##.

That’s just replacing F by dA, which is a rank 2 tensor.

Yes, but both ##\vec \partial (\mathbf U \cdot \mathbf A)## and ##(\mathbf U \cdot \vec \partial) \mathbf A## are four-vectors. I'm saying that you can start with the Lorentz four-force written in terms of them, without bringing the Faraday tensor into the picture at all.

My point is really that the Lorentz four-force is "like"

##\mathbf F = q \left( \mathbf U \times ( \vec \partial \times \mathbf A ) \right)##,

except that those individual operations involving ##\times## aren't defined (you've got to use the "bac - cab" rule).

Here, covariant electrodynamics (Lorenz gauge) with four-vector notation alone:

##\Box \mathbf A = \mathbf J##

##\mathbf F = q \left( \vec \partial (\mathbf U \cdot \mathbf A) - (\mathbf U \cdot \vec \partial) \mathbf A \right) ##.

Is all this entirely uninteresting? I don't know, I kind of like it. The d'Alembertian is like the Laplacian, and the second equation is like a vector triple product involving a curl. Ricci calculus is obviously incredibly powerful, but I'm just a hobbyist, and vector notation is far easier on my eyes and pea-brain.

SiennaTheGr8 said:
The d'Alembertian is like the Laplacian, and the second equation is like a vector triple product involving a curl.
Well, yes, it has to be. It is how the curl and the Laplace operator generalise to a 4D Lorentzian spacetime (i.e., the exterior derivative of a one-form and just the trace when the gradient is taken twice).
SiennaTheGr8 said:
and vector notation is far easier on my eyes and pea-brain.
I don't see what is wrong with ##F = dA## and ##d*F = *J## from that perspective - if removing indices is what you are after.

Orodruin said:
I don't see what is wrong with ##F = dA## and ##d*F = *J## from that perspective - if removing indices is what you are after.

Sure, the exterior algebra stuff is clearly superior... if you're comfortable with it. :wink:

Likes Dale

1. What are Maxwell's equations?

Maxwell's equations are a set of four partial differential equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. They were developed by James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century and are fundamental to the study of electromagnetism.

2. What is the significance of Maxwell's equations?

Maxwell's equations are significant because they unify the concepts of electricity and magnetism, which were previously thought to be separate phenomena. They also paved the way for the development of other important theories, such as the theory of relativity and quantum mechanics.

3. What is the form of Maxwell's equations?

The four equations are written in a mathematical form using vector calculus. They are typically written as follows:
1. Gauss's law for electric fields
2. Gauss's law for magnetic fields
3. Faraday's law of induction
4. Ampere's law with Maxwell's correction

4. How are Maxwell's equations used in scientific research?

Maxwell's equations are used to model and predict the behavior of electromagnetic phenomena, such as light, electricity, and magnetism. They are also used in the development of technologies such as radio, television, and telecommunications.

5. Are there any limitations to Maxwell's equations?

Maxwell's equations are based on classical physics and do not account for quantum effects. They also do not fully explain the behavior of extremely small particles or objects moving at very high speeds. Therefore, they are limited in their applicability to certain situations and have been further developed and refined by more modern theories.