MCNP: How to specify a small source in a large lattice

In summary, to specify a small source in MCNP, you will need to use the SOURCE card and define the position, energy, and direction of the source. It is possible to use a small source in a large lattice by specifying its coordinates relative to the lattice. However, for accurate results, it is important to properly define the source and consider the lattice size and composition. Multiple small sources can also be used in a large lattice with their own SOURCE cards and source strengths. There may be limitations when using a small source in a large lattice, so careful consideration of the source and lattice parameters is necessary for accurate results.
enakker
I am working on an input file in MCNPX/6 that uses a CT scan lattice geometry. I want to specify a small source in a large universe (lung). Right now I have a source uniformly distributed through the universe. The existing documentation is vague on this topic. Is it possible to contain the source in just a few of the voxels? Thanks for any suggestions or help!

Source definition:
SDEF PAR=D1 ERG=D2 CEL=D3 X=D4 Y=D5 Z=D6 $ Particle dist Energy dist
C
SI1 L 34 3 3 34
SP1 .42 .25 .16 .17
C
SI2 L 6.00 .7117 2.1318 7.69
SP2 .42 .25 .16 .17 $ Particle energy short-lived
C
SI3 L (4<6<8) $ 4 is the lung universe, 6 is the lattice unit cell, and 8 contains the lattice
SP3 1
C
SI4 H -25.048828 -24.658203
SP4 D 0 1
C
SI5 H -50.048828 -49.658203
SP5 D 0 1
C
SI6 H 21.625 21.875
SP6 D 0 1
C

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your question. It is possible to specify a small source in a large universe using the CT scan lattice geometry in MCNPX/6. Here are some suggestions to help you achieve this:

1. Use the SDEF card to define your source. This card allows you to specify the source location, energy, and distribution in the universe. In your case, you can use the CEL option to specify the voxels in which you want the source to be located. For example, if you want to contain the source in just a few voxels within the lung universe, you can use the CEL option to specify those voxels.

2. You can also use the SDEF card to define the energy distribution of your source. This will allow you to specify the energy of the particles in the voxels you have selected. You can use the ERG option to specify the energy distribution. For example, you can use a Gaussian distribution to specify the energy of the particles in the selected voxels.

3. Another option is to use the SDEF card to define the particle distribution in the selected voxels. This will allow you to specify the type of particles (e.g. neutrons, photons) in the selected voxels. You can use the PAR option to specify the particle distribution.

4. You can also use the SDEF card to define the location of the source within the selected voxels. This will allow you to specify the exact coordinates of the source within the voxels. You can use the X, Y, and Z options to specify the coordinates.

I hope these suggestions help. If you need more specific guidance, please refer to the MCNPX/6 documentation or contact the MCNPX/6 support team for further assistance.

1. How do I specify a small source in MCNP?

To specify a small source in MCNP, you will need to use the SOURCE card. This card allows you to define the position, energy, and direction of the source. You can also specify the type of source, such as isotropic or monoenergetic.

2. Can I use a small source in a large lattice?

Yes, you can use a small source in a large lattice by specifying the coordinates of the source relative to the lattice. This allows you to accurately model the source within the larger lattice geometry.

3. How do I ensure accurate results when using a small source in a large lattice?

To ensure accurate results, it is important to properly define the source and its position within the lattice. You should also consider the size and composition of the lattice to ensure it accurately represents the real-world scenario.

4. Can I use multiple small sources in a large lattice?

Yes, you can use multiple small sources in a large lattice by defining each source with its own SOURCE card. You can also specify the source strength for each source to accurately model the desired scenario.

5. Are there any limitations when using a small source in a large lattice?

There may be limitations when using a small source in a large lattice, such as the ability to accurately model the source within the lattice geometry. It is important to carefully consider the source and lattice parameters to ensure the results are representative of the real-world scenario.