MCNP: mesh with weight window generator

In summary, there is a question about whether it is possible to define a fine mesh in only a part of a geometry using the mesh-based-weight window generator in MCNP. It is suggested to use the "region" or "cell" cards to specify different mesh spacings in different parts of the geometry. Help can be found through the MCNP mailing list or documentation.
Deb
TL;DR Summary
Is there the possibility in MCNP, when using the mesh-based-weight window generator, to define the fine mesh in one direction (x for example), only for an interval of the other direction (between y1 and y2 for example)?
Hallo everybody,
I am using a mesh-based-weight window generator. It is clear to me that the coarse mesh must cover the full geometry; my doubt is about the fine mesh. Is it possible to define the fine mesh only in a part of a geometry, for example telling to MCNP to make 5 bins between y1 and y2 ONLY IF x is between x1 and x2 and a different y binning if x is elsewhere?
I found nothing similar in the documentation; all the examples of mesh I saw are for three axis, independently one from the other.
Thanks for the help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I wish I could help, but weight window is one of the features of MCNP I have not worked with.

Possibly you could get some help on the MCNP mailing list maintained by RSICC. You need to be a registered license holder to get on that mailing list. But once you are on, you can get the attention of a very large community of MCNP users. Including the developers of the program at times.

Hello there,

I am not very familiar with MCNP, but from what I understand, you are trying to define a fine mesh only in a specific region of your geometry. I think it is possible to do this by using the "region" or "cell" cards in MCNP. These cards allow you to specify certain properties, such as mesh spacing, for a specific region or cell in your geometry.

For example, you could define a region for the area where you want the finer mesh and specify the desired mesh spacing within that region. Then, for the rest of the geometry, you can define a different region with a different mesh spacing. This way, you can have different mesh spacings in different parts of your geometry.

I hope this helps. If you need more specific help, I suggest reaching out to the MCNP community or consulting the documentation for more detailed instructions.

Best of luck!

1. What is MCNP?

MCNP (Monte Carlo N-Particle) is a computer code used for simulating the transport of particles through matter. It is commonly used in nuclear engineering and radiation physics for various applications such as radiation shielding, medical physics, and nuclear reactor design.

2. What is a mesh with weight window generator?

A mesh with weight window generator is a feature in MCNP that allows for the creation of a mesh tally, which is a spatially resolved detector used to measure the flux of particles in a specific region. The weight window generator helps to optimize the tally's statistical uncertainty by assigning different weights to particles based on their importance in the simulation.

3. How does the mesh with weight window generator work?

The mesh with weight window generator works by dividing the tally region into smaller mesh cells and assigning weight windows to each cell. These weight windows are based on the importance of the particles passing through each cell, with more important particles having a higher weight and contributing more to the tally's statistical uncertainty.

4. What are the benefits of using the mesh with weight window generator?

The mesh with weight window generator helps to reduce the statistical uncertainty of the tally results, allowing for more accurate and precise simulations. It also helps to improve the efficiency of the simulation by reducing the number of particles needed to achieve a desired level of uncertainty.

5. Are there any limitations to using the mesh with weight window generator?

One limitation of using the mesh with weight window generator is that it requires a large number of particles to be simulated in order to achieve accurate results. Additionally, it may not be suitable for all types of simulations and may require some expertise to properly implement and interpret the results.