Millikan's Oil Drop Experiment graphing problem

In summary: But otherwise you got the right answer. The slope is the charge divided by the electric field. So the units are charge per electric field. The elementary charge is the charge of one electron. So you can equate the slope to one electron and solve for the elementary charge. In summary, the slope of the graph represents the ratio of charge to electric field, and by equating it to the elementary charge of one electron, we can solve for the value of the elementary charge.
Nitrate
1. During a Millikan oil drop experiment, a student recorded the weight of 5 different oil drops. A record was also made of the Electric field intensity necessary to hold the drop stationary between thew two horizontal plates.

Data:
Weight x 10^-14 N

[Electrostatic field intensity] x 10^5 N/C

Q: Charge
n: integer
e: elementary charge
[E]: electrostatic field intensity

2. Slope = Rise/Run
Q = ne

a) Using [E] as the manipulated variable, plot a graph showing the relationship between the weight and the electric field. (I've done this.)

b) Using only the graph, determine the elementary charge (hint: what is the physical meaning of the slope of the graph.)

Work for b) I've calculated the slope using the data [the graph is a straight line]:
Slope = y2 - y1 / x2 - x1
(3.8x10^5 N/C) - (1.1x10^5 N/C) / (6.1 x 10^-14 N) - (1.7x10^-14 N)

and this results in 6.1 x 10^-18 N^2/C [Rounded]

I am now stuck.
I have no clue what the unit N^2/C means, or how the number I found will help me find the elementary charge.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Nitrate! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
Nitrate said:
Work for b) I've calculated the slope using the data [the graph is a straight line]:
Slope = y2 - y1 / x2 - x1
(3.8x10^5 N/C) - (1.1x10^5 N/C) / (6.1 x 10^-14 N) - (1.7x10^-14 N)

and this results in 6.1 x 10^-18 N^2/C [Rounded]

Nooo :redface:

N/C divided by N is 1/C. :smile:

[tex]\text{slope}=\frac{3.8\times10^{5} \text{ N/C}-1.1\times10^{5} \text{ N/C}}{6.1\times10^{-14}\text{ N}-1.7\times10^{-14}\text{ N}}=\frac{2.7\times10^{5} \text{ N/C}}{4.4\times10^{-14}\text{ N}}=6.1\bar{3}\bar{6}\times10^{+18}\text{ 1/C}=\frac{1}{\text{?}\text{ C}}[/tex]

You made a little error in your power of ten.

1. What is the purpose of Millikan's Oil Drop Experiment?

Millikan's Oil Drop Experiment was designed to determine the charge of an electron, as well as its mass. This experiment was crucial in understanding the fundamental properties of electrons and their role in electricity.

2. How does the graphing problem in Millikan's Oil Drop Experiment work?

The graphing problem involves plotting the drop's terminal velocity (y-axis) against the applied voltage (x-axis). By finding the slope of the resulting line, the charge of the electron can be calculated using Millikan's equation.

3. What were the major challenges in performing Millikan's Oil Drop Experiment?

One of the major challenges was maintaining a stable and consistent electric field, as well as controlling the temperature and humidity in the chamber. Another challenge was accurately measuring the terminal velocity of the oil drop.

4. What were the implications of Millikan's Oil Drop Experiment in the scientific community?

Millikan's Oil Drop Experiment provided evidence for the quantization of electric charge, which had major implications in the field of electricity and atomic structure. It also helped to confirm the existence of subatomic particles, such as electrons.

5. Has Millikan's Oil Drop Experiment been replicated and confirmed by other scientists?

Yes, Millikan's Oil Drop Experiment has been replicated by other scientists, and the results have been consistent with Millikan's findings. This experiment is considered a classic and fundamental experiment in the field of physics.