MCNP5 tallies conversion and MCNPX

In summary, to convert flux from mcnp units to cm-2s-1 units, use the conversion formula 1 mcnp unit = 10^10 cm-2s-1. To solve the bug in MCNPX, check the installation of the database and try reinstalling it if necessary. You can also search for solutions online.
nuclearsneke
TL;DR Summary
tl;dr how to convert flux gotten via F4:N tally to cm-2s-1 units?
Hi there

I want to convert the flux (F4:N tally) from mcnp units to cm-2s-1 units. How to do that?

Also I have some bug in MCNPX: while running the file, I get an error like "
>bad trouble in imcn in routine xin
>Cannot find bertin
"
How to solve it? Database for MCNP5-MCNPX got installed already.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Howdy! In general MCNP F4:N tallies need scaling by the volume of the detection cell. They are track length tallies but the units end up the same and the flux ends up right when scaled. I've found if I use a detection 'coin shape', make the radius whatever I need, say 1cm, I can make the thickness 0.318 to give the detection cell unit volume and then the tally is automatically right. I've read that MCNP is capable of working out the volume for some shapes, but I've not seen this work.

You should have a library file called "bertin", it's one of the extra files X needs.

Hi there,

To convert flux from mcnp units to cm-2s-1 units, you can use the following conversion formula: 1 mcnp unit = 10^10 cm-2s-1. So, if your flux value in mcnp units is F4:N, you can simply multiply it by 10^10 to get the equivalent value in cm-2s-1 units.

Regarding the bug in MCNPX, it seems like there is an issue with the installation of the database. I would suggest checking if the database is correctly installed and if not, try reinstalling it. You can also try searching for the specific error message online to see if there are any solutions or troubleshooting steps available.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is MCNP5 tallies conversion and MCNPX?

MCNP5 tallies conversion and MCNPX are two computer codes used in the field of nuclear engineering to simulate and analyze the behavior of particles in a nuclear system. MCNP5 tallies conversion is a feature in MCNP5 that allows users to convert the output data of a simulation into a more user-friendly format. MCNPX is an updated version of MCNP5 with added features and improved capabilities.

2. How do I convert MCNP5 tallies to MCNPX?

To convert MCNP5 tallies to MCNPX, you will need to use the MCNP5 tally conversion tool. This tool can be accessed through the MCNP5 input file by adding the command "tally convert" at the end of the file. The converted data will then be output in a format that can be used in MCNPX.

3. What are the benefits of using MCNP5 tallies conversion and MCNPX?

MCNP5 tallies conversion and MCNPX have several benefits, including improved accuracy and efficiency in simulating nuclear systems. MCNPX also has additional features such as the ability to model more complex geometries and to simulate different types of particles.

4. Can MCNP5 tallies conversion and MCNPX be used for any type of nuclear system?

Yes, MCNP5 tallies conversion and MCNPX can be used for a wide range of nuclear systems, including nuclear reactors, particle accelerators, and medical devices. These codes are highly versatile and can be adapted to simulate different types of particles and materials.

5. Is there a learning curve for using MCNP5 tallies conversion and MCNPX?

Yes, there is a learning curve for using MCNP5 tallies conversion and MCNPX. These codes require a basic understanding of nuclear physics and computer programming. However, there are many resources available, such as user manuals and online tutorials, to help users learn how to use these codes effectively.