MCQ: Enzyme Kinetics - Find the Zeroth Order Answer

In summary, an enzyme catalysed reaction becomes zeroth order when the enzyme concentration is very high and the substrate concentration is much larger than the Michaelis-Menten constant (Km). This is also known as excess substrate inhibition. The reaction velocity is at its maximum when [S]>>Km, and this is the reason why option b is the correct answer to the MCQ.
Tyto alba

Homework Statement

An enzyme catalysed reaction becomes zeroth order when:

a.The velocity of enzyme action very low
b. The velocity of enzyme action very high
c.Enzyme conc very high
d. All of these The attempt at a solution
I understand An enzyme mediation recation becomes Zeroth order if [ S]>>Km where Km= [ S] when Vo=Vmax/2.I really have no idea what way I should approach this MCQ.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tyto alba said:

Homework Statement

An enzyme catalysed reaction becomes zeroth order when:

a.The velocity of enzyme action very low
b. The velocity of enzyme action very high
c.Enzyme conc very high
d. All of these The attempt at a solution
I understand An enzyme mediation recation becomes Zeroth order if [ S]>>Km where Km= [ S] when Vo=Vmax/2.I really have no idea what way I should approach this MCQ.

Well unless there is excess substrate inhibition, then for any given concentration of enzyme the reaction velocity is as high as it can be when [ S]>>Km, and I think you should answer b and not worry about it because you are getting some rather bad questions. The zero order is related strictly not to the velocity, but to the substrate concentration as you realize.

Last edited:
Likes Tyto alba

What is zeroth order kinetics?

Zeroth order kinetics refers to a type of enzyme reaction where the rate of reaction does not depend on the concentration of the substrate. This means that increasing the substrate concentration will not increase the rate of reaction.

What is the zeroth order rate constant?

The zeroth order rate constant (k0) is a proportionality constant that relates the rate of reaction to the concentration of the enzyme. It is independent of the concentration of the substrate and is specific to each enzyme-substrate pair.

How is the zeroth order rate constant determined?

The zeroth order rate constant can be determined experimentally by measuring the initial rate of reaction at different substrate concentrations. The slope of the graph of substrate concentration vs. time will equal the zeroth order rate constant.

What factors affect zeroth order kinetics?

The rate of zeroth order kinetics can be affected by factors such as enzyme concentration, pH, temperature, and the presence of inhibitors or activators. Any changes in these factors can alter the rate of reaction.

What is the significance of zeroth order kinetics in enzyme reactions?

Zeroth order kinetics is important because it helps us understand how enzymes function and how they are affected by different factors. It also allows us to predict the rate of reaction at different enzyme and substrate concentrations, which is useful in various industrial and medical applications.