MCQ-Localization of recessive alleles on Polytene chromosome

• Biology
  • Thread starter TytoAlba95
  • Start date
In summary, the WT allele is at position 4 in the cases where it is not produced by complementation, and this information can be found by looking at the bands.
TytoAlba95
Homework Statement
N.A
Relevant Equations
N.A
WhatsApp Image 2020-11-25 at 9.20.53 AM.jpeg

Correct option-(c)

Polytene chromosomes develop from the chromosomes of diploid nuclei by successive duplication of each chromatid without their separation, as such, each chromosome has several strands of DNA.
Here they are talking about the WT alleles being recessive. ALso if the initial unduplicated normal chromosome has the deletion, it will be passed down to all the chromatids.

I'm not getting the table.

Physics news on Phys.org
TytoAlba95 said:
Homework Statement:: N.A
Relevant Equations:: N.A

Correct option-(c)

Polytene chromosomes develop from the chromosomes of diploid nuclei by successive duplication of each chromatid without their separation, as such, each chromosome has several strands of DNA.
Here they are talking about the WT alleles being recessive. ALso if the initial unduplicated normal chromosome has the deletion, it will be passed down to all the chromatids.

I'm not getting the table.

I will give you that the question layout is possibly somewhat unhelpful in using the numbers 1234 to mean different things, and also the letters abcd, They could've used Greek letters and Roman numbers helpfully .

You should know that by the ethos and rules of Homework Help here, help does not kick in if you just say 'I'm not getting it'.

However as this question has been here for some time unanswered, so I guess it was not evident to any of us (I cannot remember having had to deal with a similar problem) I'll point out that you should at least be able to get the question in the sense that you should be able to verify that the given answer, c, works, and the others don't. Actually that is all you are asked to do. It would however be a preparation for the more difficult problem if you were asked, given only the experimental results what is the order.

For this I take it you know what the paragraph preceding the table means. To deduce the order I suggest you look at the cases where the wild-type fails to be produced by complementation in only one of the deletions. Can you say anything about the position of the allele in such cases?

Last edited:
I'm also late. I agree that the question is confusing in its designations. I didn't understand until I figured out that the bands (Del 1, etc.) represent which alleles will be wild-type. From there it is just a logic puzzle where you connect each allele position (1, 2, etc.) to the allele itself (a, b, etc.). From Del 2 and Del 3, for example, you can solve for position 4, so what would that be?

Likes BillTre

1. What is the purpose of MCQ-Localization of recessive alleles on Polytene chromosome?

The purpose of MCQ-Localization of recessive alleles on Polytene chromosome is to determine the location of recessive alleles on the polytene chromosome in order to understand the genetic basis of traits and diseases.

2. How is MCQ-Localization of recessive alleles on Polytene chromosome performed?

MCQ-Localization of recessive alleles on Polytene chromosome is performed by crossing individuals with different recessive alleles and examining the resulting polytene chromosomes. This allows for the identification of the specific location of the recessive alleles on the chromosome.

3. What is the significance of MCQ-Localization of recessive alleles on Polytene chromosome in genetic research?

MCQ-Localization of recessive alleles on Polytene chromosome is significant in genetic research as it provides a way to map the location of genes on the chromosome, which can help in understanding the inheritance patterns and genetic basis of traits and diseases.

4. What are the advantages of using polytene chromosomes for MCQ-Localization of recessive alleles?

One advantage of using polytene chromosomes for MCQ-Localization of recessive alleles is that they are highly enlarged and visible under a microscope, making it easier to identify and locate specific alleles. Additionally, polytene chromosomes contain multiple copies of the same chromosome, allowing for more accurate mapping of gene locations.

5. Are there any limitations to MCQ-Localization of recessive alleles on Polytene chromosome?

One limitation of MCQ-Localization of recessive alleles on Polytene chromosome is that it can only be used to map recessive alleles. It also requires specialized equipment and expertise, making it a time-consuming and expensive process.