Mealy FSM Edge Detector Code Problems

In summary, the conversation is about creating a Mealy Edge Detector and measuring the pulse width of 75 microseconds by a 50 MHz clock. The person is having trouble emulating a timing diagram in their test fixture code and is seeking help. They provide their code and mention that their professor and textbook have not been helpful. The expert suggests some changes to their code to address issues with variable declaration and blocking assignments.
Xinthose

Homework Statement

Create a Mealy Edge Detector, then measure the pulse width of 75 micro seconds by 50 MHz clock; here is the timing diagram:

Capture.jpg

I am basically trying to emulate this diagram in my test fixture code (using Xilinx 14.1 in Verilog) and am having errors. Also, the tick is supposed to be a push button on my FPGA Board I think; any help would be greatly appreciated as my professor won't help me. The book doesn't help and he tells me to just figure it out, so that is what I am trying to do here. Where you see my clock there, that is my attempt at making it alternate like in the picture, I don't know how to do it.

Code:
module Homework_3_Mealy_Edge_Detector_TF;

// Inputs
	reg clk;
	reg reset;
	reg level;
	integer i;

// Outputs
	wire tick;

// Instantiate the Unit Under Test (UUT)
	Homework_3_Mealy_Edge_Detector uut 
		(
		.clk(clk), 
		.reset(reset), 
		.level(level), 
		.tick(tick)
		);

initial

begin
		clk = 1'b0;
		#100;
	end

begin
		for(i = 0; i < 8; i = i + 1)
			begin
				level = 1'b0;          // ERROR MESSAGE
				if (level)
					begin
					level = 1'b0;   // ERROR MESSAGE
					#300;
					end
				else
					begin
					level = 1'b1;
					end
			end
			begin
				clk = 1'b0;
				if (clk)
					begin
					clk = 1'b0;      // ERROR MESSAGE
					#100;
					end
				else
					begin
					clk = 1'b1;
					end
			end
	end

endmodule

also, here's the behavioural model if you're interested, it gives no errors (it's straight from the book)

Code:
module Homework_3_Mealy_Edge_Detector
	(
	input wire clk, reset,
	input wire level,
	output reg tick
   );

// symbolic state declaration
	localparam zero = 1'b0,
					one = 1'b1;

// signal declaration
	reg state_reg, state_next;

//state register
	always @(posedge clk, posedge reset)
		if (reset)
			state_reg <= zero;
		else
			state_reg <= state_next;

// next-state logic and ouput logic
	always @*
	begin
		state_next = state_reg;	// default state: the same
		tick = 1'b0;				// default output: 0
		case (state_reg)
			zero:
				if (level)
					begin
						tick = 1'b1;
						state_next = one;
					end
			one:
				if (~level)
					state_next = zero;
			default: state_next = zero;
		endcase
	end

endmodule

Physics news on Phys.org
</code>A:The main issues with your code appear to be that the clk and level variables have not been declared as registers, and you are using blocking assignments.Try the following, which should fix those problems.<code>module Homework_3_Mealy_Edge_Detector_TF; // Inputs reg clk; reg reset; reg level; integer i; // Outputs wire tick; // Instantiate the Unit Under Test (UUT) Homework_3_Mealy_Edge_Detector uut ( .clk(clk), .reset(reset), .level(level), .tick(tick) ); initial begin clk = 0; #100; end always @(posedge clk) begin if (reset) begin for(i = 0; i &lt; 8; i = i + 1) begin level &lt;= 0; #300; end end else begin clk &lt;= ~clk; #100; if (clk) begin level &lt;= 1; #300; end else begin level &lt;= 0; #300; end end endendmodule</code>

1. What is a Mealy FSM Edge Detector?

A Mealy FSM Edge Detector is a sequential circuit that detects the edges or changes in a binary input and produces a binary output. It is commonly used in digital systems to detect transitions from 0 to 1 or 1 to 0.

2. What is the purpose of a Mealy FSM Edge Detector?

The purpose of a Mealy FSM Edge Detector is to detect changes in a binary input and produce a binary output based on those changes. It is commonly used in digital systems for synchronization, error detection, and signal processing.

3. How does a Mealy FSM Edge Detector work?

A Mealy FSM Edge Detector works by using a finite state machine to detect changes in the input and transition between states based on those changes. The current state and input determine the next state and output of the FSM.

4. What are some common problems encountered when coding a Mealy FSM Edge Detector?

Some common problems encountered when coding a Mealy FSM Edge Detector include issues with state transitions, missing or incorrect outputs, and improper handling of edge cases. It is important to carefully design the FSM and thoroughly test the code to avoid these problems.

5. What are some tips for coding a Mealy FSM Edge Detector effectively?

To code a Mealy FSM Edge Detector effectively, it is important to carefully design the FSM and clearly define the states and transitions. It is also helpful to use descriptive variable names and comments in the code. Thoroughly testing the code and handling edge cases can also help ensure its effectiveness.