Mean Value Theorem of Electrostatics

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the mean value theorem of electrostatics from exercise 1.10 in J.D. Jackson's "Classical Electrodynamics - 3rd Ed." The conversation includes different proposals for the formula, with the final conclusion being that the correct formula is: \bar{\Phi} = \frac{1}{A} \int_A \Phi dA A link to a solution is provided for those seeking further clarification.
pmb_phy
In "Classical Electrodynamics - 3rd Ed.," J.D. Jackson has an exercise, 1.10, to derive the mean value theorem of electrostatics. Does anyone know of a derivation which is located on the web?

Pete

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, this one

"The average value of the potential over the spherical surface is

[tex] \bar{\Phi} =\frac{1}{4\pi R}\int \Phi \ dA [/tex]

If u imagine the surface of the sphere as discretized, u can rewrite the integral as an infinite sum

[tex] \frac{1}{a}\int \ dA =\Sigma_{area} [/tex]

Then, takin the derivative wrt to R

[tex]\frac{d\bar{\Phi}}{dR}=\frac{d}{dR}\Sigma \Phi=\Sigma \frac{d\Phi}{dR} [/tex]

Convert the infinite sum back to an integral & get

[tex] \frac{d\bar{\Phi}}{dR}=\frac{1}{4\pi R^{2}} \int \frac{d\Phi}{dR} \ dA [/tex]

Now, using that

[tex] \frac{d\Phi}{dR}=-E [/tex] and Gauss's law (no charge inside the sphere) that gives

[tex] \frac{d\bar{Phi}}{dR}=0 \Rightarrow \bar{\Phi}_{surface}=\Phi_{center} [/tex]

Q.E.D.

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
"The average value of the potential over the spherical surface is
No. It isn't. Its
[tex] \bar{\Phi} =\frac{1}{A}\int d\Phi [/tex]
where A is the area of the sphere.

Pete

This isn't quite right either.

pmb_phy said:
No. It isn't. Its
[tex] \bar{\Phi} =\frac{1}{A}\int d\Phi [/tex]
where A is the area of the sphere.
Pete

It isn't clear what you mean by [itex] \int d\Phi [/itex]
since usually the integral of an exact differential
is just the function evaluated at the endpoints.

Or alternatively
[tex] \int d\Phi = \int \frac{\partial \Phi}{\partial x} dx +
\int \frac{\partial \Phi}{\partial y} dy +
\int \frac{\partial \Phi}{\partial z} dz [/tex]
which is, of course, a line integral (which isn't what we
want).

dextercobi said:

This doesn't have the right dimensions. On the left
we have dimensions of [Phi]; and on the right we have
dimensions of [Phi]x[Area]/[Length].

I propose another formula:
[tex]
\bar{\Phi} = \frac{1}{4 \pi R^2} \int_A \Phi dA
[/tex]

This also has the advantage that if Phi is constant
on the sphere we have
[tex]
\bar{\Phi} = \frac{1}{4 \pi R^2} \int_A \Phi dA =
\frac{1}{4 \pi R^2} \Phi \int_A dA =
\frac{1}{4 \pi R^2} \Phi ( 4 \pi R^2 ) =
\Phi
[/tex]

qbert said:
This isn't quite right either.
It isn't clear what you mean by [itex] \int d\Phi [/itex]
since usually the integral of an exact differential
is just the function evaluated at the endpoints.
That would be true if you were talking about a line integral rather than in this case where the integral is a surface integral. What [itex]d\Phi[/itex] is? Hmmm. Perhaps you're right. I can't say that is a small element of [itex]\Phi[/itex] since that makes no sense to me at the moment. Thanks.

Pete

qbert said:
I propose another formula:
[tex]
\bar{\Phi} = \frac{1}{4 \pi R^2} \int_A \Phi dA
[/tex]
May I propose a more [notationally] precise formula:
[tex]
\bar{\Phi} = \frac{1}{A} \int_A \Phi dA
[/tex]
or a more [conceptually] precise formula for this average:
[tex]
\bar{\Phi} = \frac{ \int_A \Phi dA } {\int_A dA}
[/tex]

Ah, pedantry, thou most noble virtue. You are, of course, correct. Now the next person (who reads this thread) who needs a 2-D average will know the correct generalization.

Last edited:
I admit, it was R^2 in the denominator...

Daniel.

qbert said:
Ah, pedantry, thou most noble virtue. You are, of course, correct. Now the next person (who reads this thread) who needs a 2-D average will know the correct generalization.
This is a Homework subforum... and, in my experience, my students appreciate seeing the general idea in a consistent memorable notation rather than a special case. After all, there was some confusion with this formula.

Although the notation "A" [implicitly] suggests an area average, it is certainly not necessarily so.

robphy said:
This is a Homework subforum... and, in my experience, my students appreciate seeing the general idea in a consistent memorable notation rather than a special case. After all, there was some confusion with this formula.
Although the notation "A" [implicitly] suggests an area average, it is certainly not necessarily so.
Hi Rob

Do you know where I can find a solution? Jackson seems to want the student to use Green's theorm to solve this.

Pete

Hope this link helps

http://faculty.cua.edu/sober/536/meanvalue.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
You do realize that this post is coming onto 4 years old? That the original poster hasn't asked a question for well over a year?

There is usually no reason to resurrect threads that are more than 2 months old, let alone ones that are 4 years old.

Related to Mean Value Theorem of Electrostatics

What is the Mean Value Theorem of Electrostatics?

The Mean Value Theorem of Electrostatics is a mathematical theorem that states that at any given point in an electrostatic field, there exists at least one point where the electric potential is equal to the average of the potential at all points on a closed surface surrounding that point.

What is the significance of the Mean Value Theorem in electrostatics?

The Mean Value Theorem is important in electrostatics because it allows us to make predictions about the behavior of electric fields. It helps us understand the relationship between the potential at a specific point and the overall potential of the entire field.

How is the Mean Value Theorem applied in practical situations?

The Mean Value Theorem can be used to solve various problems in electrostatics, such as calculating the electric potential at a specific point in a field or determining the average potential on a conducting surface.

What are the limitations of the Mean Value Theorem in electrostatics?

One limitation of the Mean Value Theorem is that it only applies to electrostatic fields that are continuous and have a finite number of singularities. Additionally, it assumes that the field is conservative, meaning that work done in moving a charge is independent of the path taken.

How does the Mean Value Theorem relate to other concepts in electrostatics?

The Mean Value Theorem is closely related to other concepts in electrostatics, such as the concept of equipotential surfaces. It also has connections to Gauss's Law, which relates the electric field to the charge distribution within a closed surface.