Mean values & density matrix

In summary, to find <X>, <Px> and <ΔX>, <ΔPx>, you need to integrate the spatial part of ψ multiplied by x and p, respectively, over all space and use the appropriate normalization factor. Then, to find the uncertainties, you need to take the square root of the difference between the expectation values squared.
Frank Einstein

Homework Statement

A system's state of spin 1/2 is represented at t=0 by C*exp[-a2(p-p0)2]*{{1,0},{0,1}} where the density matrix is represented in the base of eighenvalues of Sz and the spatial vector is represented in the continuum base of statesPx, Py, Pz.
Find <X>, <Px> and <ΔX>, <ΔPx>

Homework Equations

PA, ρ=Tr(ρEA)=ΣWi<ψi|A|ψi>
(ΔA)2=<A2>-<A>2

The Attempt at a Solution

To calculate <X> I change ψ(p) to ψ(x)=1/(π0.25*√aħ)*exp[-0.5*(x/aħ)-ix(p0/ħ)].
Now I have to find ΣWi<ψi|X|ψi>. Here it is where I start getting lost; I think I have to integrate the spatial part of ψ multiplied by x between +- infinite.
Can someone please tell me if I'm right?

Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org

Yes, you are correct. To calculate <X>, you need to integrate the spatial part of ψ multiplied by x over all space. This will give you the expectation value of the position operator. Similarly, to calculate <Px>, you need to integrate the spatial part of ψ multiplied by p over all space. To calculate <ΔX>, you need to take the square root of <X^2>-<X>^2, and similarly for <ΔPx>, you need to take the square root of <Px^2>-<Px>^2. Remember to use the appropriate normalization factor for the spatial part of ψ.

1. What is the definition of a mean value in the context of quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, a mean value refers to the average value of a physical quantity measured over a large number of identical quantum systems.

2. How is the mean value of a physical quantity calculated using the density matrix?

The mean value of a physical quantity can be calculated using the density matrix by taking the trace of the product of the density matrix and the operator associated with the physical quantity.

3. What is the significance of the mean value in quantum mechanics?

The mean value of a physical quantity is significant because it provides information about the average behavior of a quantum system and can be used to make predictions about the outcomes of measurements.

4. Can the mean value of a physical quantity change over time in a quantum system?

Yes, the mean value of a physical quantity can change over time in a quantum system as the system evolves and interacts with its environment. This is known as quantum dynamics.

5. How does the uncertainty principle relate to the mean value and density matrix in quantum mechanics?

The uncertainty principle states that certain physical quantities cannot be known simultaneously with precision. The mean value and density matrix in quantum mechanics provide a way to calculate the uncertainty in a physical quantity and understand the relationship between different observables in a quantum system.