Measure the transmission curve and wavelengths of colored mineral glass

MR v
hi , I want to measure the transmission curve and wavelengths of colored mineral glass , which is the simplest way or which instrument can I use ?
thanks

Science news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Why, and how accurately, do you need to measure the optical transmission curve?

Likes MR v
Thanks for reply , i have mineral glass red and blue, I need to produce more , for that I need to know transmission curve and wavelength as accurately as possible

There are cheap instruments, some US$1000 instruments, and expensive instruments well beyond your budget.
What is the mineral glass used for? That will tell us how accurately you need to make the measurements.
Here is a cheap solution.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/283451821815?

• Informative
Likes MR v
MR v said:
Thanks for reply , i have mineral glass red and blue, I need to produce more , for that I need to know transmission curve and wavelength as accurately as possible
If you want "as accurately as possible" then you need to look for NIST traceable spectrometers. Those are likely to be very expensive (on the order of $10000 USD), but they are as accurate as possible.

• Informative
Likes MR v
MR v said:
I need to know transmission curve and wavelength as accurately as possible
Anything is "possible" and you would need to specify the permissible error for your purpose.

One very cheap instrument would be a gemnologist's spectrometer (actually they are spectroscopes but no matter). I bought one on eBay several years ago for about £30. They are about as big as a pen top and will display the main features of a spectrum. You can easily see the absorption bands from sunlight and compare (qualitatively) the spectra of LEDs and CFL lights. With one, I would expect that you could tell the difference between the reflection / transmision spectra two different pigments which appear to match subjectively.

At £30, they are well worth while trying if they're good enough for gemnologists to distinguish between gems of apparently matching colours. This sounds a similar requirement to your mineral glass problem.