Measuring 800V AC signal with 16-bit DAQ card within 1% accuracy

In summary, the DAQ card has a code width of 305.176uV. To be within 1% accuracy, the minimum voltage I can read is 30.517mV (30.517mV +\- 1% or +\- Vcw). The maximum voltage that I will read is 800Vrms (1131.37Vp), and the minimum voltage I can read accurately is 30.517mVp. If I take the ratio of those two I calculate that I need about 37000 steps to measure 1131.37V. With enough steps, I will only ever see a little over 1v in the DAQ. However, I feel like that is a waste of resolution. I MUST
Jonathan Mc
I'm trying to measure high voltages with a DAQ card. Obviously I'm going to have to attenuate the voltage, but I need to make sure that I can measure accurately (within 1%)

The code width of the DAQ is
Vcw = 20Vpp/2^16 = 305.176uV

For this code width to be within 1%, the minimum voltage I can read is 30.517mV (30.517mV +\- 1% or +\- Vcw)

Now here is where I need guidance. Is my thought process correct?

The maximum voltage that I will read is 800Vrms (1131.37Vp), and the minimum voltage I can read accurately is 30.517mVp

If I take the ratio of those two I calculate that I need about 37000 steps to measure 1131.37V.

The DAQ 2^16 (65536) steps.

So I have more than enough steps in order to keep from needing to amplify anything, yes?

And if the above is correct, realistically I will only mess with 0-120Vrms, which means that I will only ever see a little over 1v in the DAQ. But I feel like that is a waste of resolution. I MUST design the circuit to assume max input voltage of 800V though.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Engineering news on Phys.org
This is not an answer to your question, but if you are measuring samples, then only peak voltage matters, not RMS.

A number of options here - but the simple way is http://www.ohmcraft.com/precision-resistors/leaded-resistors/high-voltage-leaded-dividers-hvd/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAnuDTBRDUARIsAL41eDqThjEzZj17tNaQ7AS-IwZ7pXhCwsUJvbvl7w-c2XetHWDGgDt8-uIaAuE4EALw_wcBr - you may / probably want Isolation as well - so an Isolation amp..

1% only tell part of the story - if you ONLY need voltage, then a transformer MAY get you there and provide the isolation. A trans will typically create a phase shift, and variation over frequency range.

Likes sophiecentaur
Attenuation will cause you to lose resolution. My 2 cents.

Perhaps there is more to it, but unless there is some convoluted physics behind AC measurements it looks to me quit easy conceptually.

For 1% accuracy you need approximately n bits such that [itex]\frac 1 {2^n} < 0.01 [/itex], that means around 7 bits is about enough. 16 bits is way more, giving you an error in the [itex]\frac 1 {2^{16}}[/itex] range (assuming you can trust all lower bits).

Sure, some kind of voltage divider will be required.

Averagesupernova said:
Attenuation will cause you to lose resolution. My 2 cents.
Why? As long as the signal is well above the noise level (and 800V qualifies for this) the ratio of the divider cannot affect precision. I don't know of an ADC that can handle a raw 800V (with a supply rail of +/-12V).

If you really do need to use much of your dynamic range on a wide variety of voltages than you only need to add voltage protection to your ADC input and have multiple values of resistor on the bottom half of your divider.

You should have some form of voltage protection anyway.

When the "wrong" setting is selected you will see some severe clipping of the signal. You can automate the resistor switching with suitable transistors or FETS.

BoB

Likes berkeman
Jonathan Mc said:
I'm trying to measure high voltages with a DAQ card. Obviously I'm going to have to attenuate the voltage, but I need to make sure that I can measure accurately (within 1%)

The code width of the DAQ is
Vcw = 20Vpp/2^16 = 305.176uV

For this code width to be within 1%, the minimum voltage I can read is 30.517mV (30.517mV +\- 1% or +\- Vcw)

Now here is where I need guidance. Is my thought process correct?

The maximum voltage that I will read is 800Vrms (1131.37Vp), and the minimum voltage I can read accurately is 30.517mVp
What is the bandwidth of your signal? AC Mains 50/60Hz?

And further to the safety comments by @rbelli1 do you know what this is, and why it will help your project a lot...?

https://www.alliedelec.com/b-k-prec...MI_fLb45-Q2QIVSbnACh2W0wA5EAQYASABEgLcDfD_BwE
70146130.jpg

Attachments

• 70146130.jpg
    70146130.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 327
Likes dlgoff

1. How accurate is the measurement of an 800V AC signal with a 16-bit DAQ card?

The accuracy of the measurement will depend on several factors, including the quality and calibration of the DAQ card, the precision of the measurement equipment, and the stability of the AC signal being measured. However, with proper calibration and high-quality equipment, it is possible to achieve an accuracy of within 1% for measuring an 800V AC signal with a 16-bit DAQ card.

2. Can a 16-bit DAQ card accurately measure an 800V AC signal?

Yes, a 16-bit DAQ card is capable of accurately measuring an 800V AC signal. The 16-bit resolution means that the card can detect changes in voltage as small as 1/65,536th of the full scale, allowing for precise measurements of high-voltage signals.

3. What is the maximum voltage that can be measured with a 16-bit DAQ card?

The maximum voltage that can be measured with a 16-bit DAQ card will depend on the input range of the specific card. However, most modern DAQ cards have a maximum input voltage range of 10V or higher, making them suitable for measuring high-voltage signals such as 800V AC.

4. Is it necessary to calibrate the DAQ card for accurate measurements?

Yes, calibration is a crucial step in ensuring accurate measurements with a DAQ card. It involves comparing the readings from the card to known reference values and making adjustments to the card's settings to improve accuracy. Regular calibration is recommended to maintain the accuracy of the measurements over time.

5. Can the accuracy of the measurement be affected by external factors?

Yes, external factors such as electromagnetic interference or fluctuations in the power source can affect the accuracy of the measurement. It is important to have a stable and noise-free environment for taking accurate measurements with a DAQ card. Shielding the equipment and using proper grounding techniques can help minimize the impact of external factors on the measurement accuracy.