Measuring Air Leakage: Test for Watertight Seal

In summary, the conversation discusses a method of testing the watertight seal of a device without using water. The suggestion is to use air pressure instead, but there are concerns about safety due to the potential explosiveness of pressurized air.
curiouskk
I was not sure where to post this so decided to start here. If there is a better section please let me know...

If you put a sealed device on a scale and place in an air tight box then fill with air pressure would the weight change of the device if there was a leak? I am trying to do a test to check watertight seal without water. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just to understand this correctly, you have a box in a box, and the inner box leaks gas to the outer box?

Since no material gets removed from the system that is being weighed (both boxes), the weight will stay the same.

curiouskk said:
I am trying to do a test to check watertight seal without water.
Assuming the test can be completed within a few hours and not require whole days, could you instead place the pressurised watertight box inside a balloon, then watch to see whether the balloon inflates? Start with the balloon deflated...

This method concerns me because one reason water is used rather than air is pressurized air is explosive and pressurized water is not.

1. What is air leakage and why is it important to measure?

Air leakage refers to the unintentional movement of air in and out of a building. It is important to measure because it can lead to energy loss, decreased indoor air quality, and potential structural damage.

2. How is air leakage measured?

Air leakage is typically measured using a blower door test. This involves placing a fan in an exterior door frame and using it to depressurize the building, allowing for the measurement of air flow and pressure differentials.

3. What is a watertight seal and why is it important in air leakage testing?

A watertight seal refers to a barrier that prevents water from entering or exiting a space. In air leakage testing, it is important because it ensures that the measurements are accurate and not affected by any external factors, such as wind or temperature.

4. How can I prepare for a blower door test for air leakage?

To prepare for a blower door test, it is important to close all windows and exterior doors, seal any openings or cracks, and turn off any exhaust fans or ventilation systems. This will help create a more accurate measurement of air leakage.

5. What are some common methods for reducing air leakage in buildings?

Some common methods for reducing air leakage in buildings include installing weather stripping and caulking around windows and doors, sealing any cracks or gaps in the building envelope, and ensuring proper insulation and ventilation.