!Measuring Currents in a Circuit w/ Semiconductor

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of an Ampermeter in a circuit with a current source, switch, and semiconductor. The question is whether the displacement current can be equal and opposite in sign to the conduction current, and the example given involves switching off the circuit and observing a change in electric field. The title was originally truncated, but has since been edited.
Dor
If so, what will I measure in the Ampermeter, the zero total current or the value of the conduction current?

I was thinking of the following example- a circuit consist of a current source, an Ampermeter, a switch, and a semiconductor. The semiconductor can have both conduction and displacement currents since it is a dielectric conductor. At some point in time I'm switching off the circuit (infintly fast) and so the current at the outer circuit is zero. The electric field will change in time thus there will be a displacement current. To make the total current zero, the conduction current needs to cancel the displacement current. Is this description true? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I think your title
"Can the displacement current be equal to and opposite in sign to the c"
has been truncated. So, it might seem [at a quick glance] that you are asking about the speed of light, c.

I think the full title is something like
"Can the displacement current be equal to and opposite in sign to the conduction current?"

Likes Dale
Sorry Dale and thank you robphy for drewing my attention. I've edited the title to a more reasonable one

No problem! Since my post was based on a mistaken understanding I have deleted it.

Likes Dor

What is a semiconductor?

A semiconductor is a material that has electrical conductivity between that of a conductor and an insulator. It is commonly used in electronic devices because its conductivity can be controlled and manipulated.

How is current measured in a circuit with a semiconductor?

Current in a circuit with a semiconductor can be measured using a multimeter. The multimeter is connected in series with the circuit, and the current can be read on the display.

What is the difference between measuring current in a semiconductor and a regular conductor?

The main difference is that a semiconductor has varying levels of conductivity, whereas a regular conductor has a constant conductivity. This means that the current in a semiconductor can be controlled and changed, while the current in a regular conductor remains constant.

Can current flow in both directions in a semiconductor?

Yes, current can flow in both directions in a semiconductor. This is because the conductivity of a semiconductor can be controlled and manipulated, allowing for the flow of current in either direction.

How does temperature affect current flow in a semiconductor?

As temperature increases, the conductivity of a semiconductor also increases. This means that the current flow in a semiconductor will also increase with temperature. However, if the temperature becomes too high, the semiconductor may become damaged and its conductivity may decrease.