Measuring Parameters for a Hybrid Rocket Injector Assembly

In summary, the researcher is interested in finding out if there is an ideal way to measure the required parameters for finding the cold flow test results. They are especially interested in turbulence intensity and discharge coefficient. They are not sure if measuring these parameters is practical or useful, but they are willing to try.
Wasure
TL;DR Summary
I'm interested in just getting your ideas about the best way to measure parameters based on the ones that I want to find and how the parameter I want to find is useful
I am interested in research on hybrid rocket technology and I would like to know if anyone has a known ideal way to measure the required parameters to find the below items. I am particularly interested in a cold flow test involving:

Characteristics of the Oxidizer Flow
Turbulent Intensity
Discharge Coefficient

I am not finding a lot on cold flow. Most of the tests involve combustion or simulation whereas I would like to perform the experiment.

Physics news on Phys.org
What kind of equipment have you got? This sounds pretty intense. I don't know much about rockets but if you say more about your setup I might be able to help with discharge coefficient measurement. Not a flippin clue as to turbulent intensity though (unless you can do some hefty hefty numerics).

I can use hot wire anemometry to measure turbulent intensity. It should be a decent and manageable method. I think the only drawback to it might be the response time. I'm actually not too sure how knowing this can be useful.

Would it even be practical to measure it using cold flow?I can use PIV for measuring the characteristics of the oxidizer flow. I believe obtaining this parameter is related to the fuel regression rate, combustion stability, and overall performance?

I'm mostly confused about discharge coefficient. I understand the math, with the discharge coefficient Cd = the mass flow rate divided by the density times the volumetric flow rate. I just know it has something to do with pressurizing the cold flow and obtaining the mass flow rate from that. Maybe weighted difference can be taken using load cells?

I'm also not sure about the extent of information that can be found by knowing the discharge coefficient.

I'm actually quite unfamiliar with most gadgets. I guess I can work with anything that is not super expensive or has any intensive programming required.

The coefficient of discharge is just an empirical fudge factor that tells you how much flow you should really expect versus theory. For example, most venturi flowmeters have a discharge coefficient around 99%, meaning the real world flow rate is 99% of what you'd expect using textbook fluid mechanics (Bernoulli equation, namely).

Load cells are helpful if your mass flow rate times measurement time is larger than the measurement uncertainty of the load cells. Worth a try. You will also need pressure gauges before the nozzle and at the throat of the nozzle to know the theoretical flow rate. Depending on the dimensions, that could be tricky and it might well make performance worse by adding structure at the throat. Alternatively, you can contact the manufacturer for a discharge coefficient.

• Informative
Likes Wasure
Well, that's one question down on how discharge coefficient is useful, but would the manufacturer know the discharge coefficient if I designed the injector plate assembly on my own by just estimating ideal parameters based on other injector plate assemblies that have performed well?

I guess most people would probably just use CFD, but I'm trying to maintain an experimental approach.

Welp, in that case the manufacturer is you! Foiled again!

Again, not versed in rockets, so I got to ask, is the flow in the nozzle expected to have a significantly high Mach number? If so, you might also need a temperature sensor before the nozzle in addition to the gauges. That combined with the mass flow rate should be enough to solve for the stagnation state I think.

I will need to collect the temperature as well

I have not started yet, but I do know that the flow will be fast since I will be using pressure around the range of 500 psi.

1. What are the main parameters that need to be measured for a hybrid rocket injector assembly?

The main parameters that need to be measured for a hybrid rocket injector assembly include the fuel flow rate, oxidizer flow rate, pressure, temperature, and mixture ratio. These parameters are crucial for ensuring proper combustion and performance of the hybrid rocket.

2. How is the fuel flow rate measured for a hybrid rocket injector assembly?

The fuel flow rate is typically measured using a flow meter, which can be either a mechanical or electronic device. The flow meter is installed in the fuel line and measures the amount of fuel passing through it per unit of time.

3. What is the significance of measuring the oxidizer flow rate for a hybrid rocket injector assembly?

The oxidizer flow rate is important because it determines the amount of oxidizer that is being injected into the combustion chamber. This directly affects the combustion process and the overall performance of the hybrid rocket. Measuring the oxidizer flow rate helps ensure that the correct amount of oxidizer is being supplied for optimal combustion.

4. How is pressure measured in a hybrid rocket injector assembly?

Pressure is typically measured using pressure sensors or transducers. These devices are installed at various points in the injector assembly and provide real-time readings of the pressure within the system. This information is crucial for monitoring and controlling the combustion process.

5. What is the role of measuring temperature in a hybrid rocket injector assembly?

Temperature is a critical parameter to measure in a hybrid rocket injector assembly because it directly affects the combustion process. Too high or too low temperatures can lead to unstable combustion and potential failure of the rocket. Temperature sensors are typically installed at various points in the injector assembly to monitor and control the temperature for optimal performance.