Measuring the critical capillary number

In summary, the conversation is about measuring the critical capillary number in water flooding tests in micro single capillary ducts. The channel should be oil wet and the properties of both fluids, including viscosity, density, interfacial tension, and fluid-fluid contact angle, have been measured. There is a question about whether there is an equation to measure the CC number or if it can only be obtained through numerical or experimental processes. The person is working in the field of Fluid Mechanics and is a University Researcher seeking help and suggestions. The conversation also mentions a brief discussion on flow rate and viscosity and a more general discussion on fluid flow as potential starting points for the question.
Talal
Is there a way to measure the critical capillary number?

I am running water flooding tests in micro single capillary ducts. I am displacing oil in my experiment, and my channel should be oil wet.

I was able to measure the properties of both fluids, this includes; Kin and Dyn Viscosities, density, interfacial tension and fluid-fluid contact angle.

Is there an equation to measure the CC number or can the value only be obtained through either numerical or experimental processes?

Help is very much appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
what field do you work in or are studying?

We’re determining where your post will get the most views and possibly responses.

From the looks of it, it seems to be Fluid Mechanics but we’re not sure.

Hello,
Apologies for the late reply. It is Fluid mechanics. I am working on microchannels, and I am a University Researcher.

1. What is the critical capillary number?

The critical capillary number is a dimensionless number used in fluid mechanics to describe the relative importance of viscous forces and capillary forces in a fluid flow. It is defined as the ratio of the viscous forces to the capillary forces.

2. Why is measuring the critical capillary number important?

Measuring the critical capillary number is important because it helps us understand the behavior of fluids in various systems, such as oil reservoirs, porous media, and microfluidic devices. It also allows us to predict the flow patterns and stability of these systems.

3. How is the critical capillary number measured?

The critical capillary number can be measured experimentally by varying the flow rate of a fluid through a capillary tube and observing the resulting flow patterns. It can also be calculated using mathematical models and simulations.

4. What factors affect the critical capillary number?

The critical capillary number is affected by factors such as the fluid properties (viscosity, surface tension), the geometry of the system, and the flow conditions (flow rate, pressure). It also depends on the type of fluid flow, such as laminar or turbulent.

5. How can the critical capillary number be used in practical applications?

The critical capillary number is used in various practical applications, such as in the petroleum industry to optimize oil recovery from reservoirs. It is also used in the design of microfluidic devices for precise control of fluid flow and in the development of new materials with desired surface properties.