Measuring the speed of light from moving source of light

In summary, the conversation discusses the measurement of the speed of light from a moving light source. While the speed of light is usually indirectly recognized, there are direct methods of measuring it through separate measurements of frequency and wavelength. However, this method may not be as simple as it seems and there are potential issues with using current time and distance standards. There have been experiments conducted to compare the speed of light from a moving source to a stationary source, but they may not yield unexpected results due to the constancy of the speed of light.
Rozman
The speed of light from a moving source of light is usually recognized indirectly, based on various explanations of phenomena. The speed of light is fairly simple directly measurable on the basis of autonomous and separate measurements of the frequency and wavelength of the light.
metitev%20hitrosti%20svetlobe.png

Is a similar measurement of the speed of light from the moving light source already performed and described in articles? Which direct and therefore undoubtedly measurement of the speed of light from a moving light source is most convincing?

Attachments

• metitev%20hitrosti%20svetlobe.png
    metitev%20hitrosti%20svetlobe.png
    14.3 KB · Views: 624
Physics news on Phys.org
Rozman said:
The speed of light is fairly simple directly measurable on the basis of autonomous and separate measurements of the frequency
Really? Can you cite any references showing this? In particular the accuracy to which frequency and wavelength measurements can be made in the optical range?

I would call this an indirect measure of the speed. Instead of directly measuring speed you are directly measuring frequency and wavelength and then calculating speed. That is much more indirect than simply directly measuring the speed to begin with.

But whether you call it direct or indirect, such a measurement does not seem simple to me. At least not to the level of precision available with standard measurements.

Likes russ_watters
There's another problem that I think needs to be addressed. The speed of light is defined as a constant nowadays, so it's not something that can be measured with current time and distance standards. One would be in the position of using a standard that was calibrated by the appropriate national standards laboratory (NIST in the United States) based on the current standards which assume that the speed of light is a constant to measure the speed of light. This is highly circular.

One way of addressing the issue would be by acquiring some old "retro" standards of the meter that are not based on the current SI definition of the meter. This means that the aspiring experimenter may not be able go to their local national institute of standards to calibrate their standards used to measure distance (whether it be flight distance or wavelength) for such an experiment. They would need to use a different standard (I would assume they would use the old standard based on the prototype meter bar standard, but I'm not the one interested in doing such an experiment). More importantly, beside using such a standard, they'd need to describe what standard they were using in some detail.

If they only wants to compare the speed of light from a moving source to a speed of light from a stationary source in a differential measurement, this obstacle may be avoidable. Such experiments have been done, some of the cosmological tests described in http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/experiments.html#moving-source_tests for instance. The cosmological tests are well known and inherently use such a differential measurement technique to compare the speed of light from a binary source (such as binary star) moving away from us to the speed of light from the star moving towards us. The effect on the image of any change in the speed of light based on source velocity is discussed in many textbooks as well as in the papers referenced in the above link (though I don't recall the details of exactly which textbooks). I'm not familiar with the details of the terrestial experimetns described in the above references, they may not be described in textbooks either, which means one likely has to read the papers for details.

The fact that our primary standards have been calibrated from atomic clocks and the speed of light for quite some time should be a big clue that such an experiment is not likely to yield any unexpected results, given the number of highly precise experiments which have been carried out successfully using references traceable to the NIST standards, said standards being based on the constancy of the speed of light.

It could be interesting to find the meeting notes of the professional body, the BIPM I believe, where the change in standard was discussed before being adopted. I'm sure I've read something about this once upon a time, but I don't recall the details.

Last edited:
Likes Ibix and Dale
Dale said:
Really? Can you cite any references showing this?
I described the method of separate frequency and the wavelength measurement of light in the article: <Personal unpublished link deleted> I'm looking forward to some response to the article.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rozman said:
I described the method of separate frequency and the wavelength measurement of light in the article: <Personal unpublished link deleted> I'm looking forward to some response to the article.
We do not provide review or editing of personal research prior to publication in the professional scientific literature.

Likes Sorcerer

1. How is the speed of light measured from a moving source of light?

The speed of light can be measured from a moving source of light using the Doppler effect. This phenomenon causes the wavelength of light to either lengthen or shorten depending on the relative motion between the source of light and the observer. By measuring this change in wavelength, the speed of light can be calculated.

2. Can the speed of light be measured from any moving source of light?

Yes, the speed of light can be measured from any moving source of light as long as the relative motion between the source and the observer is known and the Doppler effect can be observed. This can be achieved through various methods, such as using a spectrometer or a laser interferometer.

3. How accurate is the measurement of the speed of light from a moving source of light?

The accuracy of the measurement depends on the precision of the instruments used and the accuracy of the relative motion between the source and the observer. With modern technology, the speed of light can be measured with an accuracy of up to 9 decimal places.

4. What is the significance of measuring the speed of light from a moving source of light?

Measuring the speed of light from a moving source of light can help in understanding the nature of light and its behavior. It also has practical applications in fields such as astronomy, where the Doppler effect is used to measure the speed and direction of celestial objects.

5. How has the measurement of the speed of light from a moving source of light evolved over time?

The first successful measurement of the speed of light from a moving source was conducted by the Danish astronomer Ole Rømer in the 17th century. Since then, advancements in technology and understanding of the Doppler effect have led to more accurate and precise measurements. Today, the speed of light can be measured using advanced instruments and techniques, providing valuable insights into the fundamental properties of light.