Measuring Time & Spatial Distances: Timelike vs Spacelike

In summary, the geometric distinction between timelike and spacelike distances is mirrored in the devices used to measure them. A clock is a device that measures timelike distances; a ruler is a device for measuring spacelike ones. Two nearby points or a timelike world line are timelike separated, ##d s^2<0## To measure the distance along a particle's world line, it is convenient to introduce#d \tau^2 \equiv-d s^2 / c^2 .If you insist on mindlessly taking the square root, yes. But nobody does that in practice.I would prefer the language "timelike interval".
Kashmir
My book writes
" The geometric distinction between timelike and spacelike distances is mirrored in the devices used to measure them. A clock is a device that measures timelike distances; a ruler is a device for measuring spacelike ones. Two nearby points or a timelike world line are timelike separated, ##d s^2<0## To measure the distance along a particle's world line, it is convenient to introduce
##
d \tau^2 \equiv-d s^2 / c^2 .
##"

Preceding this paragraph, the author defined that ##(ds)^2## as the squared distance between points in spacetime.
##d s^2=-(c d t)^2+d x^2+d y^2+d z^2##.

I've two questions :

* Why do we say clocks measure timelike distances? Why don't we say clocks measure timelike time? And why insist on 'Timelike'? What about clocks measuring spacelike distances/times?

* If we say that ##(ds)^2## is the squared distance between points in spacetime then the distance is imaginary for timelike events?

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
Kashmir said:
Why do we say clocks measure timelike distances? Why don't we say clocks measure timelike time?
Both usages are found in the literature. Your book appears to prefer "timelike distance" over "proper time" as terminology. It's the same physics either way.

Kashmir said:
What about clocks measuring spacelike distances/times?
Spacelike intervals can't be measured by clocks. As far as I know nobody uses "spacelike time" and "timelike time" as terminology instead of "timelike distance" and "spacelike distance". But again, all this is just terminology. The physics is the same either way. Clocks measure timelike intervals; rulers measure spacelike intervals. These are physically different measurements and that difference is reflected in the math as the difference between timelike and spacelike.

Kashmir said:
* If we say that ##(ds)^2## is the squared distance between points in spacetime then the distance is imaginary for timelike events?
If you insist on mindlessly taking the square root, yes. But nobody does that in practice.

Likes robphy and topsquark
I would prefer the language "timelike interval".

And what book?

Likes topsquark
Kashmir said:
* Why do we say clocks measure timelike distances? Why don't we say clocks measure timelike time? And why insist on 'Timelike'? What about clocks measuring spacelike distances/times?
Strictly speaking it should be "clocks measure timelike spacetime intervals", but I assume that the book made clear that in that section it was using the word "distances" to refer to "spacetime intervals"

Kashmir said:
If we say that (ds)2 is the squared distance between points in spacetime then the distance is imaginary for timelike events?
You could say that, but there is no benefit to doing that in terms of the physics. We frequently use imaginary numbers, e.g. in the Fourier transform or in the wavefunction, when there is something physical that corresponds to the imaginary number. But here there is not so we don't usually do it.

Likes topsquark
Since we're talking terminology,
I'd reserve "interval" to be akin to "magnitude of a [path-independent] displacement".

So, an inertial clock between two events A and B
will measure a "proper time along that worldline between A and B"
that is equal to the "[path-independent] spacetime-interval from A to B".
Non-inertial clocks from A to B would measure a shorter proper time along their worldlines.

One could say that clocks do measure tiny infinitesimal-intervals along their worldlines,
but necessarily "the interval" (in my proposed definition) between the endpoints of a worldline segment.

With more detail...
The motivation is that some books use
$${(\rm infinitesimal)}\quad ds^2=dt^2-dx^2$$
or
$${\rm (finite)} \qquad \Delta s^2=\Delta t^2-\Delta x^2=(t_2-t_1)^2-(x_2-x_1)^2.$$
Clocks measure ##\int ds## along timelike-worldlines, which aren't necessarily equal to ##\sqrt{\Delta s^2}##.

robphy said:
I'd reserve "interval" to be akin to "magnitude of a [path-independent] displacement".
Hmm, I have never liked path-independent quantities in this context. They don’t generalize well.

Dale said:
Hmm, I have never liked path-independent quantities in this context. They don’t generalize well.
What would you call ##\Delta s^2=\Delta t^2-\Delta x^2##, as if you were defining it in a textbook?

robphy said:
What would you call ##\Delta s^2=\Delta t^2-\Delta x^2##, as if you were defining it in a textbook?
I would call that the spacetime interval but I would not define it as path independent. I would define it as being the integral of ##-dt^2+dx^2## specifically along the straight-line path and say that I am just being lazy and not explicitly writing the path or the integral that is implied with this notation.

Likes PeterDonis
Dale said:
I would call that the spacetime interval but I would not define it as path independent. I would define it as being the integral of ##-dt^2+dx^2## specifically along the straight-line path and say that I am just being lazy and not explicitly writing the path or the integral that is implied with this notation.
Ok... the main point of the proposed definition of the
squared-interval is "squared-magnitude of the displacement 4-vector", a scalar.
##\Delta s^2= \Delta \tilde s \cdot \Delta \tilde s##.

(In intro physics, I emphasize that
a distinction between distance and displacement between two points:
the distance depends on the path, the displacement does not.

I'm proposing an analogue for spacetime:
between two timelike-related events,
the elapsed proper-time depends on the worldline, the interval does not.)

Kashmir said:
My book writes
" The geometric distinction between timelike and spacelike distances is mirrored in the devices used to measure them. A clock is a device that measures timelike distances; a ruler is a device for measuring spacelike ones. Two nearby points or a timelike world line are timelike separated, ##d s^2<0## To measure the distance along a particle's world line, it is convenient to introduce
##
d \tau^2 \equiv-d s^2 / c^2 .
##"

Preceding this paragraph, the author defined that ##(ds)^2## as the squared distance between points in spacetime.
##d s^2=-(c d t)^2+d x^2+d y^2+d z^2##.

I've two questions :

It's, because the afficionados of a "geometry-only interpretation" of relativistic spacetime models overdo it with the analogies between Euclidean and Minkowskian notions of geometry, although the differences between the two are crucial for the understanding that Minkowskian geometry makes physical sense as a spacetime model, while Euclidean ones can't.

The reason is very fundamental: Only with the signature (-+++) (which convention your book obviously follows) or (+---) for the fundamental form of the spacetime manifold there is (at least locally) a notion of causality, and only time-like separated events can be in causal connection with each other.

"Proper time" is thus defined only for time-like world lines, i.e., such world lines, ##x^{\mu}(\lambda)##, (where ##\lambda## is an arbitrary parameter describing the world line) for which the tangent vector is time-like, ##g_{\mu \nu} \dot{x}^{\mu} \dot{x}^{\nu}<0## everywhere:
$$\mathrm{d} \tau = \frac{1}{c} \sqrt{-g_{\mu \nu} \dot{x}^{\mu} \dot{x}^{\nu}} \mathrm{d} \lambda.$$
Such a world line describes the trajectory of a massive point particle, and proper time is the time an ideal clock measures, which is comoving with this particle.

So you should not take "distance" literally here since indeed, what clocks measure are times along time-like curves. By definition, of course, proper time is a real quantity and not imaginary.

PeterDonis said:
What book?
Hartle, Gravity
Vanadium 50 said:
I would prefer the language "timelike interval".

And what book?

1. What is the difference between timelike and spacelike measurements?

Timelike measurements refer to the measurement of time intervals between two events, while spacelike measurements refer to the measurement of spatial distances between two events.

2. How are timelike and spacelike measurements used in physics?

In physics, timelike measurements are used to describe the movement of objects through space and time, while spacelike measurements are used to describe the distances between objects in space.

3. Can timelike and spacelike measurements be used interchangeably?

No, timelike and spacelike measurements cannot be used interchangeably as they are two distinct concepts with different units of measurement. Timelike measurements are typically measured in units of time, while spacelike measurements are measured in units of length.

4. How does the theory of relativity relate to timelike and spacelike measurements?

The theory of relativity, specifically the special theory of relativity, explains the relationship between time and space and how they are affected by the speed of an object. Timelike and spacelike measurements are used in this theory to describe the effects of time dilation and length contraction at high speeds.

5. Are there any real-world applications of timelike and spacelike measurements?

Yes, timelike and spacelike measurements have numerous real-world applications, including GPS systems, satellite communication, and the synchronization of clocks in different locations. They are also crucial in the study of astrophysics and cosmology.