Measuring Voltages Across 10k, 100k, 1M & 4.7M Ohm Resistors

• Thread starter balanto
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Measuring
In summary, the homework statement is asking for someone to find the voltages over every resistance when measuring with a voltmeter. The Attempt at a Solution states that the thing the person isn't quite understanding is whether the resistors are in series or parallel. V1 is found to be 5V due to the internal resistance of the voltmeter not being taken into account. The homework statement asks for someone to find the internal resistance of the voltmeter if it isn't ideal, but there is no way to do so other than by working backwards from the potential difference.
balanto

Homework Statement

We are supposed to figure out the voltages over every resistance when measuring with a voltmeter

Homework Equations

R1=R2=10k ohm
R3=R4=100k ohm
R5=R6=1M ohm
R7=R8=4.7M ohm
U=10V
Skärmavbild 2016-01-24 kl. 11.08.51.png

The Attempt at a Solution

The thing I'm not quite understanding is whether the resistors are in series ( meaning R1 and R2 and etc) or/and parallel. I tried using voltage division over the resistors and realized they would have same voltage over them, 5V, which is wrong, I think.
V1=U*((R1)/(R1+R2))=U*(R/2R)=U/2=5V,

One second thing we should take account is there is an internal resistance when measuring the voltages with a voltmeter, which is parallel to the measuring object. The internal resistance is usually 10M ohm or higher. How should I do now?

Physics news on Phys.org
balanto said:
l. I tried using voltage division over the resistors and realized they would have same voltage over them, 5V, which is wrong, I think.
V1=U*((R1)/(R1+R2))=U*(R/2R)=U/2=5V,
Since the resistance of voltmeter is not specified in the problem, I don't think it should be considered as 10MΩ. The voltmeter is ideal. So, your answer looks correct to me.

Likes Suraj M
I second that
Go with your answer, unless specified, the voltage of the voltmeter, assume it to be infinity(ideal).

Thanks for your replies!

Lets assume that we knew that it wasn't an ideal voltmeter, how would you find the internal resistance? I think that is the part I'm not understanding

They should give you the internal resistance if it's not ideal.
There is no way of finding the internal resistance of the voltmeter, except of course working backwards- if they've given the potential difference.

balanto said:
Lets assume that we knew that it wasn't an ideal voltmeter, how would you find the internal resistance? I think that is the part I'm not understanding
If the circuit resistor values are known to a very good accuracy then you could work out an expression for what the voltmeter would read given that it has some fixed internal resistance. It's basic circuit analysis. Then with some algebra on the expression the meter resistance could be obtained from the actual reading of the voltage on the voltage divider.

Measure the power supply voltage first so that you have an accurate value to work with. Assume that the meter resistance is much higher than any internal resistance of the source, so won't influence its output. You may want to check the output at each voltage divider and choose one that provides an easily measured deviation from 1/2 U on the available voltage scales.

1. How do I measure the voltage across a resistor?

To measure the voltage across a resistor, you will need a voltmeter. Connect the positive lead of the voltmeter to one end of the resistor and the negative lead to the other end. The voltmeter will display the voltage across the resistor.

2. What is the significance of using specific resistor values, such as 10k, 100k, 1M, and 4.7M ohms?

These specific resistor values are commonly used in electronic circuits because they are readily available and provide a range of resistance values for various applications. Additionally, these values follow the standard resistor color coding system, making them easy to identify and use.

3. How accurate are voltmeter readings when measuring voltage across resistors?

Voltmeter readings are generally quite accurate, with most modern voltmeters having an accuracy of within 0.1% or better. However, factors such as temperature and resistance of the voltmeter itself can affect the accuracy of the reading. It is always best to consult the specifications of your specific voltmeter for its accuracy range.

4. Can I use a different type of resistor, such as a variable resistor, to measure voltage?

Yes, a variable resistor, also known as a potentiometer, can be used to measure voltage. However, it is not recommended as it may introduce additional resistance and affect the accuracy of the measurement. It is best to use a fixed resistor for measuring voltage across a circuit.

5. How does the voltage across a resistor change with different resistance values?

According to Ohm's Law, the voltage across a resistor is directly proportional to the resistance. This means that as the resistance increases, the voltage across the resistor will also increase. So, for example, a 1M ohm resistor will have a higher voltage across it compared to a 10k ohm resistor if the same amount of current is flowing through both.