Mech of Materials stretching wire problem

In summary, the problem involves determining the placement of a 20kg block on a beam in order to cause contact between two points. The length of a steel wire has been adjusted so that a gap of 1.5mm exists between the beam and one of the points. By calculating the deformation of the wire and solving for the required force, the block placement can be determined by summing moments about any point. The placement affects the axial load and must be found by considering the reaction force at one end of the beam.
koab1mjr

Homework Statement

The length of a 2mm diameter steel wire CD has been adjusted so that with no load applied a gap of 1.5mm exists between end B of the rigid beam ACB and a contact point E. Knowing E = 200GPa, determine where the 20kg block should be placed on the beam in order to cause contact between B and E
11lnexu.jpg

http://tinypic.com/r/11lnexu/6
http://uploading.com/files/388fce7c/hwprob.png/

Homework Equations

Summation of Forces
Deformation = Load*Lenght/ Area*Modulus of Elasiticty
slope of a line

The Attempt at a Solution

My approach is as follows, first see how far the wire must stretch to allow the beam to become in contact with the surface. Since the Beam is rigid it must form a straigth line and using that knowledge I found that the wire must elongate by .3mm. With that information I was going to plug the deformation and solve for force which gave me a large number of 753N required to stretch the wire that much...

Now my problems begin. I have reaction at A due to the pin and 20kg box which results in a 196N force. So with a force balance in the Y axis I can find all the forced but this where I am stuck how do I find out where the box go. Why does it matter? I am not sure how the moment plays a role but I know that must be the key. Am I supposed to find the position whichs moments are all zero? I am not sure how the placement affects this question since the elongation is driven by the axial load.

I am supposed to be solving for x to place the block. I feel confident about the elogation and hence the force required on the wire. From there I need a push to finish this

Any help is much appreciated

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
koab1mjr said:

Homework Statement

The length of a 2mm diameter steel wire CD has been adjusted so that with no load applied a gap of 1.5mm exists between end B of the rigid beam ACB and a contact point E. Knowing E = 200GPa, determine where the 20kg block should be placed on the beam in order to cause contact between B and E
11lnexu.jpg

http://tinypic.com/r/11lnexu/6
http://uploading.com/files/388fce7c/hwprob.png/

Homework Equations

Summation of Forces
Deformation = Load*Lenght/ Area*Modulus of Elasiticty
slope of a line

The Attempt at a Solution

My approach is as follows, first see how far the wire must stretch to allow the beam to become in contact with the surface. Since the Beam is rigid it must form a straigth line and using that knowledge I found that the wire must elongate by .3mm.
yes, very good
With that information I was going to plug the deformation and solve for force which gave me a large number of 753N required to stretch the wire that much...
I can't do the math (too many decimals when using SI), but I assume that you used T= AE(delta)/L. so I'll take your word for it that T =753 N:yuck:
Now my problems begin. I have reaction at A due to the pin and 20kg box which results in a 196N force.
The reaction force at A is equal to T -196, acting downward on the beam, using Newton 1
So with a force balance in the Y axis I can find all the forced but this where I am stuck how do I find out where the box go. Why does it matter? I am not sure how the moment plays a role but I know that must be the key. Am I supposed to find the position whichs moments are all zero?
Yes! Sum moments about any point = 0 to solve for x.
I am not sure how the placement affects this question since the elongation is driven by the axial load.
yes, now you must find where the load must be placed to produce that axial load, by summing moments about any point =0
I am supposed to be solving for x to place the block. I feel confident about the elogation and hence the force required on the wire. From there I need a push to finish this

Any help is much appreciated
Push on! You've done quite well so far.:approve:

ok thanks for your help i was able to finish the problem

1. What is the purpose of the "Mech of Materials stretching wire problem"?

The "Mech of Materials stretching wire problem" is a theoretical problem used to demonstrate the principles of stress and strain in materials. It involves calculating the deformation and failure of a wire under tension, and is commonly used in engineering and materials science courses.

2. How do you calculate the stress and strain in a wire using the Mech of Materials problem?

To calculate stress and strain in a wire using the Mech of Materials problem, you will need to know the material properties of the wire such as its modulus of elasticity and cross-sectional area. Then, you can use the formula stress = force/area and strain = change in length/original length to calculate the values.

3. What are the assumptions made in the Mech of Materials stretching wire problem?

The Mech of Materials stretching wire problem makes several assumptions, including: the wire is homogeneous and isotropic, the load is applied gradually, the wire has a constant cross-sectional area, and the wire remains in the elastic range of deformation. It also assumes that the wire is subject to only axial stress and strain, and that there are no external forces acting on the wire.

4. How does the Mech of Materials problem relate to real-world applications?

The Mech of Materials problem is a simplified model that can help us understand the behavior of real-world materials under stress and strain. It is commonly used in engineering and design to predict the failure of structures and materials, such as bridges and buildings, under different loading conditions. Understanding the principles of stress and strain can also help engineers design stronger and more durable structures.

5. Can the Mech of Materials stretching wire problem be applied to all materials?

No, the Mech of Materials problem is most applicable to linear elastic materials, which means they behave in a linear manner when subjected to stress and strain. This includes materials like metals, ceramics, and some polymers. Non-linear materials, such as rubber, may require different equations and models to accurately predict their behavior under tension.