Mechanical advantage, acceleration, work, power

In summary: I was really stuck on this part and this was really helpful. In summary, the block and tackle with a mechanical advantage of 48 is used to lift a piano 11 m to the third floor of a building. The length of the rope is the input distance. The whale shark is the largest of all fish and can have the pass (I believe she meant mass) of three adult elephants. If the shark's acceleration equals 1.25 m/s2, what is the sharks mass?
DerekP
Basically i have no clue how to do this so I was hoping someone could help me on the formulas with some and explain/show how to set it up. Thanks :)

1. a block and tackle (a system of pulleys) with a mechanical advantage of 48 is used to life a piano 11 m to the third floor of a building. Although the pullets in the block and tackle make it easy to lift it still takes a long time because of the length of the rope. What is the length? (hint: its the input distance)

2. the whale shark is the largest of all fish and can have the pass (I believe she meant mass) of three adult elephants. Suppose that a crane is lifting a whale shark for delivery to an aquarium. The crane exerts a force of 2.5*104N to lift the shark from rest. If the shark's acceleration equals 1.25 m/s2, what is the sharks mass?

3. Suppose a meteorite collides with Earth with a force of 6.41*1012N.

A. What is the mass of the meteorite if it's impact speed is 10 km/s so that it has an acceleration of approximatley -1.00*108 m/s2

P.S. I'm not trying to take the easy way out and cheat the thing has about 50 problems so I'm just trying to get some examples because I don't understand this section of my review and I don't want to do bad on the final.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
DerekP said:
2. the whale shark is the largest of all fish and can have the pass (I believe she meant mass) of three adult elephants. Suppose that a crane is lifting a whale shark for delivery to an aquarium. The crane exerts a force of 2.5*104N to lift the shark from rest. If the shark's acceleration equals 1.25 m/s2, what is the sharks mass?

Use F=ma!

I'm going to be honest idk what that is. I'm guessing Force=Mass*Acceleration?

3- u may use simply the Newton'ssecond law..velocity has nothing to do with the force since acceleration is given just divide force by accelaration to get the mass

1- MA=(effort distance/load distance) just use the formula to claculate here load distance is 11m and MA is 48 so effort distance or length of rope is 48*11

DerekP said:
I'm going to be honest idk what that is. I'm guessing Force=Mass*Acceleration?

Yup!

So since I want mass it would be mass=force/acceleration?

DerekP said:
So since I want mass it would be mass=force/acceleration?

Yes.

ah thank you everyone

Related to Mechanical advantage, acceleration, work, power

What is mechanical advantage?

Mechanical advantage is the ratio of the output force to the input force in a machine. It measures how much a machine multiplies the force applied to it.

How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. It is measured in meters per second squared (m/s²).

What is work?

Work is the product of force and displacement. It is a measure of the energy required to move an object a certain distance, and is measured in joules (J).

What is power?

Power is the rate at which work is done or energy is transferred. It is equal to the amount of work divided by the time it takes to do the work, and is measured in watts (W).

How are mechanical advantage, acceleration, work, and power related?

Mechanical advantage, acceleration, work, and power are all related through the principles of force, motion, and energy. Mechanical advantage and acceleration are both affected by the amount of force applied to a machine, while work and power are both measures of the energy involved in a task or process.