Mechanical energy of a block sliding on a circular path

In summary: However, by solving for ##v## in terms of the velocities in the x, y, and z directions, we can find the total energy of the system.
CGandC

Homework Statement

( The following problem is taken from kleppner's " Introduction to mechanics" )
( The question in the book talks about the velocity but my confusion is related to the Energy )
upload_2017-9-23_15-18-13.png

Homework Equations

Conservation of Mechanical energy : Ef - Ei = 0
Consevation of Momentum : Pf - Pi = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

If I can assume the time which mass 'm' reaches the edge of the block is very small , and if I also assume both masses ( m , M ) are pretty small , then the total impulse can be approximately zero and the total momentum difference is conserved , so that :
upload_2017-9-23_15-22-6.png

where ' V ' is the velocity of the larger object 'M'
and ' v ' is the velocity of the smaller object 'm'

So far all is correct.

upload_2017-9-23_15-40-11.png
upload_2017-9-23_15-40-18.png
Afterwards , I used the total conservation of mechanical energy : Ef - Ei = 0
and only used it for mass 'm' ( the normal force does no work since it's constantly prependicular to the
cube's path and the only work done on mass 'm' is from gravity ) so that :

upload_2017-9-23_15-27-18.png

Eventually getting ( my answer ) :
upload_2017-9-23_15-29-21.png

However , this is not the correct answer , because in the answers they included both the energies by mass 'm' and mass 'M' , so that:
upload_2017-9-23_15-32-24.png

Eventually getting ( the correct answer ) :
upload_2017-9-23_15-32-43.png
So my question is : why I can't use the total consevation of mechanical energy for only mass 'm' like I did , why's it not correct? ( gravitational potential energy is included , kinetic energy is included and normal force does no work ) and why do I have to add the energies of the bigger mass ' M ' ?

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-23_15-19-20.png
    upload_2017-9-23_15-19-20.png
    2 KB · Views: 427
  • upload_2017-9-23_15-40-3.png
    upload_2017-9-23_15-40-3.png
    2.1 KB · Views: 457
Physics news on Phys.org
CGandC said:
( the normal force does no work since it's constantly prependicular to the
cube's path

I think the problem lies here . Isn't large block of mass M also moving :smile:?

conscience said:
I think the problem lies here . Isn't large block of mass M also moving :smile:?
Yes, but why do I have to add it's energy? , after all , it seems that there doesn't exist some force on mass 'm1' which does work to be added into the conservation of mechanical energy of mass 'm' , in order to correct the equation:
upload_2017-9-23_16-34-52.png

CGandC said:
Yes, but why do I have to add it's energy? , after all , it seems that there doesn't exist some force on mass 'm1' which does work to be added into the conservation of mechanical energy of mass 'm' , in order to correct the equation: View attachment 211579

You are incorrectly assuming that work done by normal force on small cube is zero. It isn't .

conscience said:
You are incorrectly assuming that work done by normal force on small cube is zero. It isn't .
Why not? , it is perpendicular to the small cube's path .

It seems to me that you are neglecting conservation of momentum, which means your calculation of final energy is missing the kinetic energy of the large block.

CGandC said:
Why not? , it is perpendicular to the small cube's path .

The path of the small cube is circular when seen from the moving frame of block M .It's path as seen from the ground frame is not circular .

Vc = Vc,M + VM

The first term on right side is the relative velocity of cube w.r.t M . It is this component which is perpendicular to normal force . But the dot product of second component with N is not zero .

Negative work is done by normal force on small cube as it slides along the circular arc :smile:

Last edited:
MarkFL said:
It seems to me that you are neglecting conservation of momentum, which means your calculation of final energy is missing the kinetic energy of the large block.
Yes , it does miss the kinetic energy of the large block but I still don't fully understand why do I need to add it, can't I just use the energies of the small cube?

and the conservation of momentum is conserved which is why I get :
upload_2017-9-23_15-22-6-png.png

CGandC said:
Yes , it does miss the kinetic energy of the large block but I still don't fully understand why do I need to add it, can't I just use the energies of the small cube?

and the conservation of momentum is conserved which is why I get : View attachment 211604

Okay, so this implies:

##mv=MV\implies V=\dfrac{mv}{M}##

And so, by conservation of energy, we have:

##\Delta E=E_i-E_f=mgR-\dfrac{1}{2}\left(mv^2+MV^2\right)=0##

or:

##2mgR=mv^2+MV^2##

Using the implication from conservation of momentum, we obtain:

##2mgR=mv^2+M\left(\dfrac{mv}{M}\right)^2##

Solve for ##v##...what do you get?

CGandC said:
can't I just use the energies of the small cube?
As conscience pointed out in post #7, the path of the small cube, seen in a rest frame, is not an arc of a circle. Its motion does have a component in the direction of the normal force. So it is not obvious what the energy of the small cube is.

haruspex said:
As conscience pointed out in post #7, the path of the small cube, seen in a rest frame, is not an arc of a circle. Its motion does have a component in the direction of the normal force. So it is not obvious what the energy of the small cube is.

Then suppose I'm at the frame of the moving block M , so that the path the small cube does is circular.
Then the normal force does no work and why do I still need to add the energies of the large block of mass 'M' ( to the energies of the small cube ) ?

CGandC said:
Then suppose I'm at the frame of the moving block M , so that the path the small cube does is circular.
Then the normal force does no work

You cannot apply Work Energy theorem from a non inertial frame .Since block M is accelerating , energy conservation doesn't hold true .

As seen from block M , ##mgR ≠ \frac{1}{2}mv^2## , where v is relative speed of cube with respect to M as it meaves M .

conscience said:
You cannot apply Work Energy theorem from a non inertial frame .Since block M is accelerating , energy conservation doesn't hold true .

As seen from block M , ##mgR ≠ \frac{1}{2}mv^2## , where v is relative speed of cube with respect to M as it meaves M .
So if I'm at the frame of accelerating block M , the energy conservation for the small cube will only hold if I were to introduce some pseudo-force (which will do work on the small cube in the eyes of the accelerating frame ) ?

CGandC said:
So if I'm at the frame of accelerating block M , the energy conservation for the small cube will only hold if I were to introduce some pseudo-force (which will do work on the small cube in the eyes of the accelerating frame ) ?
That still does not fix it. In the accelerating frame, how do you decide the displacement over which the pseudo force has acted?

CGandC said:

That's right .

But the difficulty in this problem is that the block M is having varying acceleration .

Varying pseudo force ?:)

conscience said:
That's right .
I don't think that introducing the pseuo force makes the energy balance work. In the accelerating frame it would appear that the force makes no advance. See post #14.

haruspex said:
In the accelerating frame, how do you decide the displacement over which the pseudo force has acted?

In the accelerated frame M , cube m is moving in a circular arc .At any moment displacement is tangent to the path .Direction of pseudo force is also known .It's the magnitude of this pseudo force which is not constant .

haruspex said:
I don't think that introducing the pseuo force makes the energy balance work.

Work energy theorem is certainly valid in an accelerating frame if we account for work done by pseudo force .

Work Energy theorem is a consequence of Newton's second law . If Newton's law is valid in an accelerated frame, why shouldn't Work Energy theorem be valid :smile: ?

conscience said:
Work Energy theorem is a consequence of Newton's second law . If Newton's law is valid in an accelerated framw, why shouldn't Work Energy theorem be valid :smile: ?
Work done appears different in different frames. If you stand in an elevator moving up or down at different (but constant) acceleration the work done in that frame always appears to be zero.
Within that frame, there is no contradiction.

haruspex said:
Work done appears different in different frames. If you stand in an elevator moving up or down at different (but constant) acceleration the work done in that frame always appears to be zero.
Within that frame, there is no contradiction.

No work , no change in energy .

Work Energy theorem is valid in this accelerated frame .

Note that mechanical energy is not invariant between different frames .

Likes haruspex
conscience said:
No work , no change in energy .

Work Energy theorem is valid in this accelerated frame .

Note that mechanical energy is not invariant between different frames .
You are right... sorry for the noise.

haruspex said:
sorry for the noise.

Not at all :smile: . Generally work energy theorem is not applied from an accelerated frame . So you might have found it unusual .

But I agree the more common and safe approach is to apply energy conservation from an inertial frame .

1. What is mechanical energy?

Mechanical energy refers to the sum of potential energy and kinetic energy in a system. It is the energy associated with the movement and position of an object.

2. How is mechanical energy related to a block sliding on a circular path?

In the case of a block sliding on a circular path, the mechanical energy is primarily in the form of kinetic energy. As the block moves along the circular path, it has both linear and angular motion, resulting in both translational and rotational kinetic energy.

3. What factors affect the mechanical energy of a block sliding on a circular path?

The mechanical energy of a block sliding on a circular path can be affected by the mass of the block, its speed, and the radius of the circular path. Friction and air resistance can also play a role in reducing the mechanical energy of the system.

4. Can the mechanical energy of a block sliding on a circular path be conserved?

In an ideal situation with no external forces such as friction or air resistance, the mechanical energy of a block sliding on a circular path can be conserved. This means that the total mechanical energy of the system remains constant throughout the motion.

5. How can the mechanical energy of a block sliding on a circular path be calculated?

The mechanical energy of a block sliding on a circular path can be calculated using the formula E = 1/2 * mv^2 + 1/2 * I * ω^2, where m is the mass of the block, v is its linear velocity, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity. This formula takes into account both the translational and rotational kinetic energy of the block.