Mechanical energy of the system

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a car on a ramp and loop. The first part of the problem asks for the kinetic energy at the top of the loop, while the second part asks for the minimum height for the car to maintain contact with the track at a certain speed. The solution involves using the conservation of mechanical energy and incorporating Newton's second law to find the minimum velocity and height.
Logistics
Question image: http://people.mail2me.com.au/~benogorancic/que.JPG

I have been trying to figure this out all day long and finally got these two answers.

Part A: K = 5/2 * mgr

Part B: h_min = 5/2 * R

Could someone please confirm if I have the right answer and actually got the answer the question asks?

I have doubts cause in part A i don't have "h" anywhere and also I'm not sure if I'm supposed to have any numbers :confused:

Thanks.

Edit: Solved the question finally :D

Part A: K: mgh - mg2R

Part B: (5/2) * R

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, try some more. :smile:

For A, ask yourself these questions:
what is the potential energy at the top of the ramp?
what is the total energy at all times during the ride?
what is the potential energy at the top of the loop?
NOW, what is the kinetic energy at the top of the loop?

For B, you are looking for a minimum height h that results in the car moving at a certain speed v that meets the following conditions: if the car is moving slower than v when it reaches the top of the loop (upside-down), it simply falls off the loop due to gravity; if the car is moving faster than v, the loop is at all times exerting a normal force on the car, keeping it moving in a circular path.
See if you can do anything with those ideas.

You need to use the fact that the mechanical energy of the system is conserved. In other words, the potential energy the car starts with, is equal to the sum of its potential energy and kinetic energy at the top of the loop. Try writing this out mathematically and solve the resulting equation. To find the minimum height, notice that the car will only stay in contact with the track if the normal force is greater than zero. Incorporate this into Newton's second law to find the minimum velocity and combine this with the energy equation to find the minimum height.

Related to Mechanical energy of the system

1. What is mechanical energy?

Mechanical energy is the sum of potential energy and kinetic energy in a system. Potential energy is the energy stored in an object or system due to its position or configuration, while kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion.

2. How is mechanical energy calculated?

The formula for calculating mechanical energy is ME = PE + KE, where ME is mechanical energy, PE is potential energy, and KE is kinetic energy. Potential energy is calculated using the formula PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object. Kinetic energy is calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * mv^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is the velocity.

3. What are some examples of mechanical energy?

Some examples of mechanical energy include a pendulum swinging, a car moving down a hill, a rollercoaster going down a track, a person running, and a ball being thrown. In each of these examples, the system has both potential and kinetic energy, which contribute to its overall mechanical energy.

4. Can mechanical energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, mechanical energy can be converted into other forms of energy. For example, when a ball is thrown, its mechanical energy is converted into kinetic energy as it moves through the air. When the ball hits the ground, some of its mechanical energy is converted into sound energy and thermal energy due to friction.

5. How does the concept of conservation of energy relate to mechanical energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. This applies to mechanical energy as well. In a closed system, the total amount of mechanical energy remains constant, even if it is converted from potential energy to kinetic energy or vice versa.