Mechanical Energy: Solving for Work & Change in ME

In summary, the problem involves pushing a crate with a force of 556 N over a distance of 12 m, resulting in a work of 6672 J. The change in the total mechanical energy of the crate is 0 J, as the crate is not being lifted or pulled by a spring, and the only energy being used is to overcome friction.
sweedeljoseph

Homework Statement

You use 556 N of constant force to push a crate 12 m horizontally across the floor, and then stop pushing, leaving the crate stopped in its new position:
a) How much work did you do on the crate?
b) What is the change in the total mechanical energy of the crate after being pushed (ingoring heat)?

Homework Equations

F(cos theta)d

The Attempt at a Solution

ANSWERS (from teacher):
a) 6672 J
b) 0 J

i know how to find the first question. you use the equation i gave. F is 556 N, cos theta is 1, and d is 12 m.

i don't understand how the second part is 0. am i supposed to use a certain formula? i know PE and KE but i don't have a mass in the problem. so what am i supposed to use to figure out what mechanical energy is?

if you could help me it would be great
i have a test on next tuesday
tryna study now instead of later

thank you!:-p
sweedeljoseph

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about what happens rather than just the formulae.
Work is force * distance for the first part.

For the second part, what has changed about the energy of the box?
Is there anythign you can do to get more energy out of the system in it's second state than in it's original state?

i have no idea. i just wrote the question how it was on my paper. there are no resources to use as a reference for the problem. that's just it. I am sure ill know how to solve it but I am not really sure what I am supposed to do. i know the answer is 0 that's it i don't know why.

Since work is force*distance, is there any force that is trying to return it to it's original position?

Imagine if you lifted the box up 1m, the force of gravity is trying to return it to it's original position so you can use this force to extract energy.
Similairly if there was a spring pulling it back you could use that.

would the mechanical energy be 0 because the crate isn't being lifted? its just being slid across the floor.

like when youre doing projectile motion? with the T chart of x and y values solving for v,vo,a,t,d the reason the y value of the vo will be 0 is because its staying in the air
something like that?

Yes pushing something along a level surface uses no energy except for friction.

thank you!
i understand it now
=]

Related to Mechanical Energy: Solving for Work & Change in ME

1. What is mechanical energy?

Mechanical energy is the sum of kinetic energy and potential energy in a system. Kinetic energy is the energy of motion, while potential energy is the energy stored in an object based on its position or state.

2. How do you calculate work in mechanical energy?

The work done on an object can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to the object by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. The equation for work is W = F * d.

3. What is the formula for calculating change in mechanical energy?

The formula for calculating change in mechanical energy is ΔME = MEf - MEi, where MEf is the final mechanical energy and MEi is the initial mechanical energy.

4. How is mechanical energy conserved in a system?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed. Therefore, in a closed system, the total mechanical energy remains constant.

5. How can mechanical energy be used in real-life applications?

Mechanical energy is used in many real-life applications, such as in machines and vehicles. For example, a car's engine converts chemical energy from fuel into mechanical energy to move the car. Mechanical energy is also used in renewable energy sources like wind turbines and hydroelectric dams.