Mechanical energy to kinetic energy storage....?

In summary: The energy is stored in the minecart as potential energy. When you reach the top of the hill, you can release the energy by pushing the minecart down the other side.Kinetic energy IS mechanical energy.In summary, you are asking about a system that does not have to use any electrical energy if possible. A bike where you pedal but don't move; that mechanical energy is waiting to be "released" by some mechanism. A system that utilizes mechanical energy to produce kinetic energy, but "storing" the mechanical energy to be used at a different time for kinetic energy. A Grandfather Clock.
RICKYtan
Can there be a system that utilizes mechanical energy to produce kinetic energy, but "storing" the mechanical energy to be used at a different time for kinetic energy? Like a bike where you pedal but don't move; that mechanical energy is waiting to be "released" by some mechanism

*** exclude wind turbines, specifically I'm asking about a system that DOES NOT have to use any electrical energy if that's possible

Physics news on Phys.org
Kinetic energy IS mechanical energy.

I'm confused too, but are you just talking about a flywheel?

RICKYtan said:
Can there be a system that utilizes mechanical energy to produce kinetic energy, but "storing" the mechanical energy to be used at a different time for kinetic energy? Like a bike where you pedal but don't move; that mechanical energy is waiting to be "released" by some mechanism

*** exclude wind turbines, specifically I'm asking about a system that DOES NOT have to use any electrical energy if that's possible

If you compress air with a cylinder and a piston, you're doing just that - the energy can be released at any time by letting go of the piston.

nasu said:
Kinetic energy IS mechanical energy.

Yes that's true I was thinking ahead
Can
russ_watters said:
I'm confused too, but are you just talking about a flywheel?

That's all true i was thinking ahead. I really meant generating mechanical energy in one system, "transferring" or "storing" it to another system to be used later as mechanical energy...which in turn generates kinetic enrgy

RICKYtan said:
That's all true i was thinking ahead. I really meant generating mechanical energy in one system, "transferring" or "storing" it to another system to be used later as mechanical energy...which in turn generates kinetic enrgy
So, again, you appear to think "mechanical energy" is something specific when in reality it is a category that encompasses kinetic energy, potential energy, sound energy, spring energy, pressure energy, etc. So what you are asking is circular and trivially true. It's like asking if you can use a dollar as money.

Please try to reword it to describe the actual mechanism of energy you are trying to generate and store. A bike wheel? A rock held over your head? A compressed spring? Eetc.

RICKYtan said:
"storing" it to another system to be used later as mechanical energy...which in turn generates kinetic enrgy
How about a Grandfather Clock?

Possibly that you mean potential energy, to be later converted to kinetic energy. Any system with potential energy is doing this "storing": a spring, compressed gas, a water tank at some height above the ground, etc.

A battery, for instance, with a generator connected to a mechanical device of some sort. The F1 cars collect energy from the brakes and from the turbo-charger and store it in the battery. This stored energy is then used as a boost for the Internal combustion engine or to keep the turbo spinning at low engine load. There are countless examples of this and efficient energy storage is a problem everyone would like to solve.

Or, you can push a minecart up a hill.

Likes Bandersnatch

1. What is mechanical energy?

Mechanical energy is the energy possessed by an object due to its motion or position. It is a combination of potential and kinetic energy.

2. What is the difference between mechanical energy and kinetic energy?

Mechanical energy is the total energy of an object, while kinetic energy is a type of mechanical energy that is specifically associated with the motion of an object.

3. How is mechanical energy converted into kinetic energy?

Mechanical energy can be converted into kinetic energy through the process of work. When a force is applied to an object, work is done, and this work results in the object gaining kinetic energy.

4. Why is it important to store kinetic energy?

Storing kinetic energy allows us to use it at a later time when needed. For example, in a car, kinetic energy is stored in the battery and then used to power the vehicle's movement.

5. What are some examples of mechanical energy being converted into kinetic energy?

Examples include a ball being thrown, a car driving, a roller coaster moving down a track, a pendulum swinging, and a person jumping.